Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017-2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: rxgeek
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank. The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

The max VGCs sold at Staples.com are $300. No $500 cards. With its $8.95 or 3% card fee, it is only good if there is promotion (or rebate).

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back

Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $6.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV

Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Old May 10, 18, 8:15 pm
  #706  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 27,510
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 View Post
Which Credit card are you using?
Sorry, it's the SPG Amex.
UA Fan is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 1:17 pm
  #707  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Look up - On a ✈ DELTA ✈ jet NOW!
Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Posts: 4,178
Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
So, despite the circular explicitly limiting offer to one per customer, some people feel they are not ethically compelled to abide by such terms. Every person for themselves, screw the people with little minds that comply with the rules. Got it.
Both my local stores allowed 10x card per day - so that is what I did. Been a great week. All you have to do is ask what is allowed and follow those terms. My local OD, for the current promo, would only allow 1 order of 2 cards per day so that is what I did there.
Renes Points is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 1:47 pm
  #708  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
So, despite the circular explicitly limiting offer to one per customer, some people feel they are not ethically compelled to abide by such terms. Every person for themselves, screw the people with little minds that comply with the rules. Got it.
do you follow the speed limit at all times?
briang191 is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 2:01 pm
  #709  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
Originally Posted by briang191 View Post


do you follow the speed limit at all times?
He posted this under the Simon Mall thread and most likely he buys up to the limit. It's okay if he's the one doing it but not others. I think he's one of those that discredits and bash others if a deal doesn't work for him for whatever reasons or if someone didn't give him circles and arrows on a deal. He can choose to be vexed/annoyed/disgruntled at what others do if that makes his day. As others have stated, their stores allowed up to ten cards per day; I've seen stores that had a lot of the old yellow Meta cards with 2021 exp date and I understand why they'd gladly get rid of them with this fantastic sale. Some stores still have plenty of them today but it's YMMV, of course. I preferred to do the OD/OM deal that gave more profits aside from URs galore.
Mamibear is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 2:58 pm
  #710  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TXL/EWR
Posts: 508
Originally Posted by briang191 View Post


do you follow the speed limit at all times?
Or installed software without reading all the terms

The small sign on the gift card rack advertising the "sale" made no mention of 1 per customer. I didn't look at the flyer this week. Does that make me a rule-breaker?
Bigzamboni is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 3:24 pm
  #711  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
He posted this under the Simon Mall thread and most likely he buys up to the limit. It's okay if he's the one doing it but not others. I think he's one of those that discredits and bash others if a deal doesn't work for him for whatever reasons or if someone didn't give him circles and arrows on a deal. He can choose to be vexed/annoyed/disgruntled at what others do if that makes his day. As others have stated, their stores allowed up to ten cards per day; I've seen stores that had a lot of the old yellow Meta cards with 2021 exp date and I understand why they'd gladly get rid of them with this fantastic sale. Some stores still have plenty of them today but it's YMMV, of course. I preferred to do the OD/OM deal that gave more profits aside from URs galore.

I was just joking. I did exactly what most did. Asked what the daily limit was. I saw no flyer or any signage on the promo. I would take advantage of either offer any time. I appreciate your post.
briang191 is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 5:51 pm
  #712  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 523
most stores in my area told me daily limit is $1.8K - $2k . Liquidating all my 200 cards from this week is going to take forever now.
cashcyclone is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 5:56 pm
  #713  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by cashcyclone View Post
most stores in my area told me daily limit is $1.8K - $2k . Liquidating all my 200 cards from this week is going to take forever now.
im guessing everyone on FT purchassed 100+ $200VGC.
briang191 is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 6:01 pm
  #714  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,830
Originally Posted by briang191 View Post


im guessing everyone on FT purchassed 100+ $200VGC.
my Staples was out of $200s so I wasn't able to buy any this week
lumangoy is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 6:20 pm
  #715  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
my Staples was out of $200s so I wasn't able to buy any this week
any luck at od?
briang191 is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 6:51 pm
  #716  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,830
Originally Posted by briang191 View Post


any luck at od?
was able to buy a few only. I didnt see my go to CSR for the whole week, and the times I saw him there, other CSRs were there who did NOT allow multiple purchases.
lumangoy is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 7:20 pm
  #717  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 105
Local Staples Reps and managers make up their own rule. I have 3 staples nearby- 1 allows multiple runs of VGC..but says limit is $500/day or run. Another says $400.
The third one is more notorious - doesn't allow more than 1- whether its on sale or not. I asked what about when there are times the deal is saying to buy $300 to get a rebate, etc - he says he has never come across such a sale. Complete BS. This store is one where the VGC/MC rack is always full. Almost looks like a showcase with no sales happening.
NBG007 is offline  
Old May 13, 18, 9:40 am
  #718  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 340
I wish this sale did not coincide the same week as the OD sale. Lots of stock in both stores where I live. I was not able to take full advantage of it. The OD sale was more attractive with two rebates going on there at the same time.
Flyby01 is offline  
Old May 14, 18, 11:51 am
  #719  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,110
unfortunately i wasn't able to take full advantage of this promo, the store close by was all out of $200 VGC, the only store that had any stock was 35 miles away and i only drove by it a couple of times and only got 7 cards, i guess 7 is better than nothing.
ninim2200 is offline  
Old May 14, 18, 9:11 pm
  #720  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22
On the first day Local Staples said some had come in and tried to buy 50 cards, and the manager was not aware of the promo, so I thought promo may have been regional
On the last day I tried a different Staples and they said the limit was 10 cards (2K) per person per day. So I guess it was better than nothing
2008traveler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread