Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
I've already hit my CL (well, like $30 away from it). And I don't want to start cycling and risk losing my UR stash.
Oh, credit limit, I thought you meant UR max on OOS for your CIC which is annual.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
You're the indirect DP I wanted to see. Was worried if GCs from Staples would be any issue for WF Propel World, but I'm guessing not? My CIC is already maxed out for the month, otherwise it'd be a no brainer.
Charges are still pending, and I don't see reward points yet, but the T&C of the offer didn't exclude GCs I don't think. Also did the OD/OM offer for 25 bonus points/$ and charges are still pending. These were the first times I've really used that card (outside $1k/mo serve load) and surprisingly didn't get fraud alerts either.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:13 pm
Suspended

was in the boondocks yesterday when I saw a Staples sign out of no where, recently opened plaza. Hit the motherload.All the other locations were bone dry

Today as I was driving by my reg location, I thought who knows maybe they got a shipment in, was bone dry and the asst mgr was standing near there so I didnt want to open up the secret compartment. Long line to walk around to get to the when all of a sudden I saw an employee coming out of the back with what looked like the cards. Yep indeed, I was gonna tell him he needs to get some more what he put out is gone, but didnt and I left a few for the next person

So a bare bones rack doesnt mean they dont have any.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:20 pm

Hi all! new to this method of MS. just wondering--does Serve at family dollar still work to get rid of these VGCs without fees? i'm having trouble finding some liquidation methods, since paying for my Citi card doesn't work with MetaBank VGCs.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by yydv
Hi all! new to this method of MS. just wondering--does Serve at family dollar still work to get rid of these VGCs without fees?
Yes, yes it does. In fact, it's my usual method. Though the "no fee" part depends on which Serve card you're using.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jatan
If you try to check the balance before activating the cards then the cards will be blocked so avoid that if you can

First you need to activate it so the funds are loaded in 1-2 hrs (activation letter comes separately) — you can call Staples activation support @ 877-233-4633 if you don’t want to wait for activation letter (they’ll look up the cards by Staples order number)

Then you can call the number on back of card and ask if there’s any block on the card — they’ll tell you its “inactive” to prevent fraud since someone tried to login online before activation. Let them know that was you — you bought the card online and didn’t know that the card had a separate activation process so you tried logging in first. They’ll get another dept to reactivate the card while you wait on the phone — they’ll tell you it’ll be available for use in 10 mins but it’ll probably take a few hrs

I unblocked 2 cards yesterday and tried logging into one after 30 mins but it gave an error and now its blocked again — the 2nd card I waited a few hrs to login and it was working fine
Had to call on one card and the other somehow reset itself and was able to login at a later date, pretty annoying!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Visited my local Staples store today. It looks very sad. All the $100 and $200 VGCs are gone. Only $50 left. It is so clean. The store does charge the activation fee. So if you do pay 2.5% $ fee on activation, your profit margin is much smaller, even with the 5% AmEx card. The Ink cards are better. But with all the work on liquidation, I somehow do not feel the urge to do anything.....
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:39 pm

$5 off $200 MasterCard, Oct 21 - 27

That's right, a whole $5. Step on up! Though to be honest, this isn't any worse than $10 off $300.
Limit 1, though Staples has never enforced that in the past.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:58 am

I get it that you're still gonna get "net" UR points, but losing $1 to a fee for $200 denom? Esp with all the MC issues? Come on office stores, please give us VGC sales again!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:46 am

This is $1.95 for 1000 UR which is underwhelming considering the OD gravy in the last couple months. Anyone confirmed that the discount is applied multiple times to each GC?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:57 am

I get it that you're still gonna get "net" UR points, but losing $1 to a fee for $200 denom? Esp with all the MC issues? Come on office stores, please give us VGC sales again!
Not sure what MC issues you are experiencing. I have never had issues with MCGCs from Staples and I have done a ton. Probably an issue with the way you are loading the cards.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Not sure what MC issues you are experiencing. I have never had issues with MCGCs from Staples and I have done a ton. Probably an issue with the way you are loading the cards.
Well, it's not the loading aspect, it's the activation. But the last 2 rounds of MCGC, I'm referring to OD/OM sales (you can look at that thread here around late August dates). Under the card number, there was a line about the carding being activated in 24 hours. For some, it actually activated. For others, they had to call, or worse, fax in copies of the receipt and wait weeks to receive a replacement.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Well, it's not the loading aspect, it's the activation. But the last 2 rounds of MCGC, I'm referring to OD/OM sales (you can look at that thread here around late August dates). Under the card number, there was a line about the carding being activated in 24 hours. For some, it actually activated. For others, they had to call, or worse, fax in copies of the receipt and wait weeks to receive a replacement.
There are some deals worth doing, others that may be worth doing, and then there are those that only the desperate will consider.

So far I have tried to avoid being in that third category.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
There are some deals worth doing, others that may be worth doing, and then there are those that only the desperate will consider.

So far I have tried to avoid being in that third category.
Yeah the bulk MCGC sales at office supply stores fall in that third category for me too.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:09 am

any issues with the mcgc from staples? i dont want to be the data point....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.