Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:57 am

I bought $100 MCGC from staples.com for $101.95 x3. I got the gift cards and I can't seem to register them online and the customer support number I called said that these gift cards are not loaded correctly and to contact the seller. Is there some delayed activation on these gift cards or something else? What am I missing?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by rct12345
I bought $100 MCGC from staples.com for $101.95 x3. I got the gift cards and I can't seem to register them online and the customer support number I called said that these gift cards are not loaded correctly and to contact the seller. Is there some delayed activation on these gift cards or something else? What am I missing?
I believe $300
If you have your receipt, I would go back to the Staples and see if they actually activated the cards. I presume they were not drained by some nefarious character illicitly?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:24 am

If you try to check the balance before activating the cards then the cards will be blocked so avoid that if you can

First you need to activate it so the funds are loaded in 1-2 hrs (activation letter comes separately) — you can call Staples activation support @ 877-233-4633 if you don’t want to wait for activation letter (they’ll look up the cards by Staples order number)

Then you can call the number on back of card and ask if there’s any block on the card — they’ll tell you its “inactive” to prevent fraud since someone tried to login online before activation. Let them know that was you — you bought the card online and didn’t know that the card had a separate activation process so you tried logging in first. They’ll get another dept to reactivate the card while you wait on the phone — they’ll tell you it’ll be available for use in 10 mins but it’ll probably take a few hrs

I unblocked 2 cards yesterday and tried logging into one after 30 mins but it gave an error and now its blocked again — the 2nd card I waited a few hrs to login and it was working fine
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:39 pm

Staples

i had the same problem with the cards not activating, I called staples and they called gift card mall to activate the cards.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:37 pm

Staples will send you the activation codes in a separate letter. It usually arrives within a day or two of receiving the cards.
The WIKI contains a phone number if you want to activate without waiting for the activation codes.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:15 am

Thanks for all the responses. I'll wait for the activation codes for another day. Trying to avoid calling them if possible.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:45 am

I see the wiki has a 2014 statement of all portals to staples.com GC purchases being dead. Is that still true?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:16 am

I see the wiki has a 2014 statement of all portals to staples.com GC purchases being dead. Is that still true?
I've tried a good amount of portals for Staples GC purchases and have had zero success in the past year or so. I'm not saying there isn't one out there that works, but I not aware of any. If you find one you might want to be careful whom you share that information with as things like that get abused and closed down fast.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:45 am

Can anyone confirm if these 100 MCs are running as debit at Krog3r? thanks
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by canyoncar
afraid you won't be able to spend $300 if they don't?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I've tried a good amount of portals for Staples GC purchases and have had zero success in the past year or so. I'm not saying there isn't one out there that works, but I not aware of any. If you find one you might want to be careful whom you share that information with as things like that get abused and closed down fast.
Thanks.. Will keep trying.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by beast7276
afraid you won't be able to spend $300 if they don't?
I remember someone posting that these didn't work there as debit, which makes no sense, since they themselves sell USB MC

Last edited by canyoncar; Aug 24, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:32 pm
Suspended

I remember someone posting that these didn't work there as debit, which makes no sense, since they themselves sell USB MC
again - afraid you won't be able to spend the $300 if they don't?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:38 am
Suspended

Did you try at wally?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:38 pm

I've used US Bank visa at Kroger as debit. Don't know about the MC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.