Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Why would there be .70 cash? Couldn't I load it to go Bank for free? I have 15K in VGC because of FB deal going on which we won't see anything similar in near future. I have slowed down on getting MOs therefore there is a backlog. I'm able to get MOs from PO, I'm just thinking what if they suddenly stop it. I would like to drain this amount over a period of month.
.70 cash if IF you're buying MO but if you're loading to GoB, yes it's free but you can only load up to $149.97 because the 4th swipe is for the GoB card. I wouldn't advice anyone to load that amount per transaction even if they have several reloadable cards, they'll surely look suspicious. But if you think otherwise, you can go right ahead.

the fact that you're aware that USPS can stop any moment should've made you seek other methods to drain your funds asap. many have said time and again that it is not wise to keep VGCs for a long time to avoid various complications like funds stolen by hackers or some tried and tested methods suddenly shut down. I wouldn't hoard VGCs for a month w/o definite plans of draining them asap, but that's just me. as long as you're comfortable with your plans, go for it.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:22 pm

Sane advise MB, I was going to purchase some more VGC for next two days which I wont do and concentrate on draining the VGCs I have on hand which I can do in 2 weeks. Didn't think about hacking.

Another option is to go to Simon and buy meta bank VGC with one vanilla, you will pay 3.95 fee but then you may be able to unload that to GoBank in WM for free. extra cost but still no problem considering 7% gain before costs. I would still net 5%. I'm not sure if Simon would allow me to buy VGC with VGC.

Last edited by Gitangali; Jan 18, 2017 at 8:33 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Sane advise MB, I was going to purchase some more VGC for next two days which I wont do and concentrate on draining the VGCs I have on hand which I can do in 2 weeks. Didn't think about hacking.

Another option is to go to Simon and buy meta bank VGC with one vanilla, you will pay 3.95 fee but then you may be able to unload that to GoBank in WM for free. extra cost but still no problem considering 7% gain before costs. I would still net 5%. I'm not sure if Simon would allow me to buy VGC with VGC.
Or you could use Vanilla @ Walgreens or Safeway to buy USB MC variable up to $500 and drain at PO. You'd have to eat the fees but still working for me in getting rid of all my MetaBank VGCs. Some unsuspecting cashiers can let you get away with 5+ swipes on a single transaction.

I agree on the whole with MB though - I don't know about your financial situation but I generally won't float more than 2x the balance on all CCs combined.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by lesamuel
Or you could use Vanilla @ Walgreens or Safeway to buy USB MC variable up to $500 and drain at PO. You'd have to eat the fees but still working for me in getting rid of all my MetaBank VGCs. Some unsuspecting cashiers can let you get away with 5+ swipes on a single transaction.

I agree on the whole with MB though - I don't know about your financial situation but I generally won't float more than 2x the balance on all CCs combined.
I dont think he's floating MBs, he's floating Vanillas from CVS.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lumangoy
MB=Mamibear. I offered advice on a backup plan for Vanillas.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
The Simon rep showed me the memo, the wording was "after 20th" CVS will no longer participate, something to that effect. As of now I have 15K worth of Vanillas, which I will drain at PO over time. Any backup to PO, in case the PO stops accepting VGCs?

Walmart is only 49.99, not sure if you can do 4 swipes from the same VGC?
You can buy as many money orders you want with unlimited cards as long as you give them your ID and SS.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:11 pm

GENIUS... why the hell would you use Vanillas to buy MCs at Walgreens? Why wouldn't you just buy MOs and the PO with Vanillas? You people come up with some strange ways to give you profits back to companies.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:18 pm

yeah i agree as well. the moment i exit SM with 10K VGC in my hand, i am already on my way to liquidating them, and usually aim to get them done in < 5 days.

default modus operandi in liquidation = ASAP

these things are so fragile that recycling centers can just shut down anytime

i dont know how that Hy-vee guy feel by floating >$100K in VGCs, though he did profit close to $10K. probably will only consider doing that if i have lots of liquid cash idling around

Originally Posted by fumnibbler
GENIUS... why the hell would you use Vanillas to buy MCs at Walgreens? Why wouldn't you just buy MOs and the PO with Vanillas? You people come up with some strange ways to give you profits back to companies.
the OP was asking abt alternate method of liquidating Vanillas if PO were to shut down (his only source of liquidation) one day
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
yeah i agree as well. the moment i exit SM with 10K VGC in my hand, i am already on my way to liquidating them, and usually aim to get them done in < 5 days.

default modus operandi in liquidation = ASAP

these things are so fragile that recycling centers can just shut down anytime

i dont know how that Hy-vee guy feel by floating >$100K in VGCs, though he did profit close to $10K. probably will only consider doing that if i have lots of liquid cash idling around

the OP was asking abt alternate method of liquidating Vanillas if PO were to shut down (his only source of liquidation) one day
+1 to the one person to read the answer AND the original question.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
MB=Mamibear. I offered advice on a backup plan for Vanillas.
my MB meant Metas.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Today will be my last day on this awesome run!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
You can buy as many money orders you want with unlimited cards as long as you give them your ID and SS.
At the moment I'm able to buy the PO MOs I need with Vanillas. I have 3 post offices in my area. Please read the Post office MO thread where few people have talked about postal inspectors showing up. To avoid this, I was going to space it out a little. May be those inspectors showed up when folks were doing outrageous amount such as 50K a week, multiple Post offices etc. I have not done 2 post offices in a day. So I'm guessing if I fill out the form and take 4-5K MO in a day or whatever their limit is per day, I should be able to liquidate this fairly soon.

If there is no PO/MO inspector issue, I would buy 6K(total) more for today and tomorrow. Please advise, as I need to make this decision by this evening. Thanks folks for chiming in. Appreciate it.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:04 am

I'm actually tired of doing this lol. So much driving.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:19 am

Good luck with attempting to purchase Simon GCs with OneVanillas. IME they look very closely at the purchasing card, and I doubt they would allow GCs to be used.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by diseased
I'm actually tired of doing this lol. So much driving.
yeah, same here.

Even though CVS and grocery are across each other, there's still the effort of depositing the MO and keeping track of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.