Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Radster
As such I doubt they will implement a universal 'cash only' policy as a result of this promotion. With a finite end-point on the horizon, I think its more likely they issue a reminder to all staff re: 'no GC purchases with GCs' in the interim.
check the CVS thread for current DPs on what's going on at CVS.

I'm leery for those who can still use their FBs as debit but since CVS has exited from the FB program as shown on FBgift website, they have reasons NOT to pay CBs. Even Simon website no longer has CVS listed as one of the participating merchants.

As always, to each his own on what they want to do next. Either they'd gamble $4.95 per card and get their $25s or just drain their FBs to MOs directly.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
MS'rs bring a lot of sales numbers to local stores, so most good managers don't like to do anything to hinder sales or hinder people from wanting to come into their store. Many, like myself, bring other business to stores where we also buy cards. When I'm no longer able to ms at a particular store, I also uproot my family's pharmacy purchases from that location or chain along with all other store purchases. We shop where we ms.

Back to these particular cards, it's a gamble now to buy these in hopes of getting cb at the c.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
MS'rs bring a lot of sales numbers to local stores, so most good managers don't like to do anything to hinder sales or hinder people from wanting to come into their store. Many, like myself, bring other business to stores where we also buy cards. When I'm no longer able to ms at a particular store, I also uproot my family's pharmacy purchases from that location or chain along with all other store purchases. We shop where we ms.
That is how you may play, but I doubt that's how majority play. I mean just to get around the $2k rule per 24 hr @ CVS, they use 2 different forms of IDs. I mean just combine little $$ left on the GCs, they try to combine into single GC, etc, etc....
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
MS'rs bring a lot of sales numbers to local stores, so most good managers don't like to do anything to hinder sales or hinder people from wanting to come into their store.
This is true of grocery stores for me. I ALWAYS pick up some food when I'm in a grocery for MS reasons.

For CVS, not so much. Once in a blue moon I might grab a soda or candy.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
check the CVS thread for current DPs on what's going on at CVS.

I'm leery for those who can still use their FBs as debit but since CVS has exited from the FB program as shown on FBgift website, they have reasons NOT to pay CBs. Even Simon website no longer has CVS listed as one of the participating merchants.

As always, to each his own on what they want to do next. Either they'd gamble $4.95 per card and get their $25s or just drain their FBs to MOs directly.
For the record, I was done with the FB option as soon as the shutdown news hit the wires. Just not worth the hassle and now additional risk.

I was just relaying my conversations with CVS employees. They have been told by management to "watch out for fraudulent GC purchases, but also remember a lot of people use it for legitimate reasons such as generating point/miles" (or similar). This was above and beyond discussion regarding FBs specifically.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:03 am

For the record, I was done with the FB option as soon as the shutdown news hit the wires. Just not worth the hassle and now additional risk.

I was just relaying my conversations with CVS employees. They have been told by management to "watch out for fraudulent GC purchases, but also remember a lot of people use it for legitimate reasons such as generating point/miles" (or similar). This was above and beyond discussion regarding FBs specifically.
So somehow fraudulent GC purchases increased due to CVS being in the FB merchant...I can't make the connection but that's how it is I guess.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:20 am

I know it's basically a moot point at this time, but here is my data point.

12 5 backs bought at SM on the 7th, used on the 8th,9th, and 10th at 3 different cvs. run as debit each time, no splitting.

None of them got 5 back automatically, I called in on the 10th to request for the cards used in 8th. those posted after my call.

Just called in for the other 8 cards this morning, I don't expect a problem.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:40 am

My numbers were off in my last post and the profit might be good at Lowes or Staples buying vgc for 200.

Buy 2 500 5b for 3.95 each with 2% cc, buy DE 5 200's for 4.95 each + .70 MO at WM=33.35 in fees

Get 25 back ON EACH CARD (50) and 20 on cc= 37 profit

Last edited by Travelz; Jan 14, 2017 at 2:42 am
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:41 am

[deleted - not relevant]
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
So somehow fraudulent GC purchases increased due to CVS being in the FB merchant...I can't make the connection but that's how it is I guess.
You are right, there is no connection. You missed the pertinent final point in my original post ie. "This was above and beyond discussion regarding FBs specifically."
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:56 am

Based on conversations with my local CVS employees, CVS management is very much aware of the "points/miles crowd" and their affinity for purchasing GCs (in a good way!). It is probably very profitable for them.
I heard the manager at my goto CVS mention that he doesnt make a lot of money on GCs.

I'm not sire if I make it up with my volume haha.

Everytime I do the max transaction, I hold up the line and another cashier or manager helps speed up the line.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by coplate
I know it's basically a moot point at this time, but here is my data point.

12 5 backs bought at SM on the 7th, used on the 8th,9th, and 10th at 3 different cvs. run as debit each time, no splitting.

None of them got 5 back automatically, I called in on the 10th to request for the cards used in 8th. those posted after my call.

Just called in for the other 8 cards this morning, I don't expect a problem.
Hi - what number are you calling to ask for credit on these cards which did not get it automatically,, can u please help with the procedure
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by recklessmax
Hi - what number are you calling to ask for credit on these cards which did not get it automatically,, can u please help with the procedure
Call the number on the back. Input the card number, etc., to get the balance. Then press the option (2?) to dispute a transaction.

That will transfer you to a rep.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I heard the manager at my goto CVS mention that he doesnt make a lot of money on GCs.
I would believe it, that VGC may cost at least 2-3 to whether it is WM or CVS.

Printing, ironclad security, tracking, database, management...can't be cheap.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
I would believe it, that VGC may cost at least 2-3 to whether it is WM or CVS.

Printing, ironclad security, tracking, database, management...can't be cheap.
Most of that cost isn't borne by the retailer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.