Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by vm81
Havent bought many MO's from Walmart (just once in a while). Stopped at NJ Walmart and the cashier told me that the card needs to have my name on it to use as payment. She said its the new corporate policy, which I know its not even though things are changing slowly.
I'm surprised she didn't tell you its "Federal regulations". That seems to be the #1 go-to excuse of clueless cashiers from WM to CVS.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vm81
Havent bought many MO's from Walmart (just once in a while). Stopped at NJ Walmart and the cashier told me that the card needs to have my name on it to use as payment. She said its the new corporate policy, which I know its not even though things are changing slowly.
NJ is hit or miss with alot more miss then hit lately. Highly suggested to have a reg DC available as many locations now when you say split payment or what to use more then 1 DC will ask you to hand over the DC , they check it and swipe it on their side.(Of cause if you input the wrong pin that you just changed that morn it wont work and will have to tell them you will need to contact the bank to see whats wrong)

Then others will do 2-3 for you w/o any fuss
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Tried to purchase MO at my usual wm, but sth. really weird happened.

after 1st swipe, small receipt printed "An error with the Delta Terminal has occurred. Please check the terminal and its connections." and then rep let me swipe same card again, then small receipt printed "DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE APPR. CODE = 51". Looks like fund in my vgc got debited but transaction didn't go through anyway, and void receipt in the end.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by st0ne
Tried to purchase MO at my usual wm, but sth. really weird happened.

after 1st swipe, small receipt printed "An error with the Delta Terminal has occurred. Please check the terminal and its connections." and then rep let me swipe same card again, then small receipt printed "DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE APPR. CODE = 51". Looks like fund in my vgc got debited but transaction didn't go through anyway, and void receipt in the end.
this has happened to me a lot of times, I give it at least 15 to 30 minutes for funds to go back to my GC. As long as regular receipt does NOT print, it means money did not go to WM. In instances where the receipt prints but MO does not start printing, they give me cash refund if they can't fix the machine; otherwise, they reset machine, a supervisor turns key when register asks for payment and MO prints.

Every time I encounter something new to me, I observe carefully what cashiers/CSMs do to fix the problem.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
this has happened to me a lot of times, I give it at least 15 to 30 minutes for funds to go back to my GC. As long as regular receipt does NOT print, it means money did not go to WM. In instances where the receipt prints but MO does not start printing, they give me cash refund if they can't fix the machine; otherwise, they reset machine, a supervisor turns key when register asks for payment and MO prints.

Every time I encounter something new to me, I observe carefully what cashiers/CSMs do to fix the problem.
I think the regular recipet printed, but there's "voided entry" on it. Cashier didn't let me keep the recipet and say fund will go back to my card. I will go back to store to get refund i think.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear

Or, they use Cash as form of payment on the redo once the MO machine is fixed.

The stores generally prefer this way than return the cash, due to quite often the register drawer does not have enough cash to refund or once refunding couple thousands the register drawer has very little cash left so the cashier has to "borrow" from the cash receipt dept. for the remaining time of the shift.

Originally Posted by st0ne
I think the regular recipet printed, but there's "voided entry" on it. Cashier didn't let me keep the recipet and say fund will go back to my card. I will go back to store to get refund i think.
Talk to the Cash Receipt dept - they can find the excess fund in their journal if indeed the fund has gone to WalMart.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by Happy
Or, they use Cash as form of payment on the redo once the MO machine is fixed.

The stores generally prefer this way than return the cash, due to quite often the register drawer does not have enough cash to refund or once refunding couple thousands the register drawer has very little cash left so the cashier has to "borrow" from the cash receipt dept. for the remaining time of the shift.

Talk to the Cash Receipt dept - they can find the excess fund in their journal if indeed the fund has gone to WalMart.
Visit this WM four times, and finally they tried to looking into this and will give me phone back after check the surveillance video that I didn't take cash that day.

THIS IS THE MOST DESPERATE LESSON I LEARNED DURING MS.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:18 pm

My go to Walmart and Cashier in Southern ohio mentioned that they'll not going to let people make split payments because of fraud concerns. She did let me do that during that visit.
I'd hate to loose that Walmart though I'll give another try for different cashier and walmart.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:27 pm

I went to WM today for the first time in FL to buy a low $100 MO using SM VGC. The lady had no problems with me. During the transaction I asked if it was ok to have split tender in the future and she said absolutely, but using credit cards and gift cards are taboo (while I swipe for the SM VGC hahah ).

Seems like you may get lucky depending on who you can get.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:22 am

I've used 2 different Walmarts (only 2 that I've tried so far) in my area, and had absolutely no issues. Hopefully that continues.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:43 am

Several WMs in my area have started asking to see the card and denying me as soon as i mention split pay....frustrating.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Several WMs in my area have started asking to see the card and denying me as soon as i mention split pay....frustrating.
would be nice if you mentioned what area/state
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Do your cards have your name on them?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:54 am

DP: Dearborn, MI Walmart

Got shut down trying to buy two Money Orders, when I asked to split four ways the ladies all went cross eyed at me. One from the back asked to see the card and I held it up, from ten feet away she said that the visa gift cards (from GCM) are ineligible. Asked if we could try and they said no way.

This was my first time trying at this location and it was much more chaotic than the normal WMs I try.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:00 pm

Why do you guys ask if you can split tender?

I just ask for 2 $999.30 MOs. Then when it's entered into the register and the CSR said "$2000" , I just say $500 on a debit. Swipe my gc, then say $500 on a debit again and so on till I've done my 4 swipes.

Some bank debit cards are limited to $500 max per swipe, so if they ask, I just say my bank limits my swipes to $500. I have a bank debit card handy if they ask to see the card (no one has ever asked at WM).

This method seems to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.