Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:00 am

DP on cashier error while doing split tender

I bought two $1K MOs and did my usual $500 per swipe. After two swipes, balance was $1000, told her another $500 debit but even before I could swipe 3rd DC, I saw the balance go down instantly to $500. I knew something was wrong so I called her attention that I have NOT swiped my DC yet. This cashier is also a CSM so she called for back-up and told another CSM that she pressed cash; the CSM led me to another register where she asked me to swipe the 3rd DC like I was buying a $500 WMgc. She then gave the $500 WMgc to the other cashier as part of my payment and then I swiped my 4th DC for last payment plus $1.40 cash and two MOs printed. I asked her if that was the fix in similar cases and she said "we're not supposed to but yes, it's an internal fix". I know now another possible solution in case I encounter this cashier error in the future but it got me thinking it'd be great if WMgc will be an acceptable mode of payment sometime later.

This is my go-to WM that's why I'm careful not to get any cashier in trouble. Had I not called her attention, she would realize later she was short of $500 cash that I didn't give her but was credited to me because of her error. I'd like to keep my good relations with all staff at this WM that's why I call their attention immediately when there's an issue, whether favorable or unfavorable to me. We've always worked it out in the end.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:12 am

Yowsa! That's a job-ending mistake right there. Good on you for being honest, I would've done the same thing. No need to jeopardize someone's job that's helping you out.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I bought two $1K MOs and did my usual $500 per swipe. After two swipes, balance was $1000, told her another $500 debit but even before I could swipe 3rd DC, I saw the balance go down instantly to $500. I knew something was wrong so I called her attention that I have NOT swiped my DC yet. This cashier is also a CSM so she called for back-up and told another CSM that she pressed cash; the CSM led me to another register where she asked me to swipe the 3rd DC like I was buying a $500 WMgc. She then gave the $500 WMgc to the other cashier as part of my payment and then I swiped my 4th DC for last payment plus $1.40 cash and two MOs printed. I asked her if that was the fix in similar cases and she said "we're not supposed to but yes, it's an internal fix". I know now another possible solution in case I encounter this cashier error in the future but it got me thinking it'd be great if WMgc will be an acceptable mode of payment sometime later.

This is my go-to WM that's why I'm careful not to get any cashier in trouble. Had I not called her attention, she would realize later she was short of $500 cash that I didn't give her but was credited to me because of her error. I'd like to keep my good relations with all staff at this WM that's why I call their attention immediately when there's an issue, whether favorable or unfavorable to me. We've always worked it out in the end.
Had a similar thing happen to me about a year ago. Another customer service rep said to fix it, they had to shut down the register in the middle of the transaction (IE, unplug the machine and restart the register) and have it reboot (it took a good 15 minutes). The money went back to the first two cards that I used successfully the next morning (exactly as the CSR said would happen).

I was pretty annoyed especially since I had to leave the store not being 100% sure the funds would go back. However, this was an extremely MS friendly location so they knew what they were doing.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Yowsa! That's a job-ending mistake right there. Good on you for being honest, I would've done the same thing. No need to jeopardize someone's job that's helping you out.
They may have noticed when the drawer popped open since part of the transaction was cash. But agreed that honestly is definitely the best policy.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:45 am

I thought someone mentioned before that the debit transactions are not final until its fully paid?

So the whole transaction could've been cancelled?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had this happened a year or more ago in a hood store. It was also the CSM who did that! I realized the error immediately so did she.

What she did initially was to call her boss who did not answer for a long time so she went ahead and finished the transaction with me swiped the 3rd card but withheld the MOs from me - And I went to the close-by WF (my bank) ATM to get $500 out (instead of the in-store ATM so I dont pay the ATM fee) and came back to her with the cash - then she handed me the MOs. So there is yet another way to fix it. The key is the drawer cannot be short of money, however the money is paid seems to have a lot of variations. Though WMGC being a form of payment is very strange. The Cash Receipt dept probably would have a lot of internal reconciliation / moving amounts around to do afterward.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I thought someone mentioned before that the debit transactions are not final until its fully paid?

So the whole transaction could've been cancelled?
It can but require some special keys or sometimes have to unplug the whole thing to kill it.

A few weeks ago the MO machine kept printing Blank MOs 2 in a row. The cashier "cashed back" the first one, when the second one still came out blank, she again "cashed back" but closed the transaction. The manager came, took a look of the receipt, initially was shocked as the receipt said Cash Refund of $2K but then she realized all the money was still in the drawer (the debit cards were drained per the receipt).

What they did was to fix the machine (someone loaded the ink tape in error when changing the very faded tape so it was not correctly attached hence the machine wouldn't print). After 15 min of work the machine worked again. This time they did the transaction with Cash Payment while there was never any cash changed hand (not refunded to me, nor taken out from the drawer). Then I got both the MOs and the Cash Payment receipt but not the original Cash Refund receipt which had the info of the cards used.

The majority of my experiences has been, they prefer to change to "cash payment" to work it out.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danpeake
They may have noticed when the drawer popped open since part of the transaction was cash. But agreed that honestly is definitely the best policy.
For those that pay the MO fee in ca$h the draw will always pop open = the csr wont have any idea they are working that week+ for nothing if its not brought to their attention

Ive had this happen numerous times and every time didnt move 1 inch after being handed the MO. Its hard enough being able to get MOs no reason to make the few who will allow it to suffer a loss that they cant afford
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Had a similar thing happen to me about a year ago. Another customer service rep said to fix it, they had to shut down the register in the middle of the transaction (IE, unplug the machine and restart the register) and have it reboot (it took a good 15 minutes). The money went back to the first two cards that I used successfully the next morning (exactly as the CSR said would happen).

I was pretty annoyed especially since I had to leave the store not being 100% sure the funds would go back. However, this was an extremely MS friendly location so they knew what they were doing.
Originally Posted by Happy
Had this happened a year or more ago in a hood store. It was also the CSM who did that! I realized the error immediately so did she.

What she did initially was to call her boss who did not answer for a long time so she went ahead and finished the transaction with me swiped the 3rd card but withheld the MOs from me - And I went to the close-by WF (my bank) ATM to get $500 out (instead of the in-store ATM so I dont pay the ATM fee) and came back to her with the cash - then she handed me the MOs. So there is yet another way to fix it. The key is the drawer cannot be short of money, however the money is paid seems to have a lot of variations. Though WMGC being a form of payment is very strange. The Cash Receipt dept probably would have a lot of internal reconciliation / moving amounts around to do afterward.
Originally Posted by craz
For those that pay the MO fee in ca$h the draw will always pop open = the csr wont have any idea they are working that week+ for nothing if its not brought to their attention

Ive had this happen numerous times and every time didnt move 1 inch after being handed the MO. Its hard enough being able to get MOs no reason to make the few who will allow it to suffer a loss that they cant afford
I just take these instances in stride and treat myself to a lobster dinner later. Just a little bonus for my MS efforts
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:08 pm

WM stories...

Cashier accidentally key in 'cash payment' while I want to pay for MO and I had to walk to their ATM about 20 steps away to withdraw money using my real debit card but they did pay me back the ATM fees incurred (plus some extra $ for the hassle involved)

Another time, I finished paying everything for the MO, then the MO couldnt print out. After some 45 min later, they realized that the swipe machine/register for which I am paying my MO with is not hooked up with the MO printer. Apparently there were problems arising in the past when too many registers connected to MO printer so they decided to leave one unconnected. There were 5 registers there and I happen to be at the only one not hooked up to MO printer So the cashier took money out from the register for which I paid, then walk to the adjacent register and create another transaction, as if I was paying cash even though I did not touch the cash she was holding. I wanted to ask them to just hand over the cash directly to me but decided to keep my mouth shut because I dont want the confusing situation to become even more confusing. By then, I was quite fatigued and just want to get into my car and go home.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:52 pm

I don't treat situations like this as a 'bonus' or 'reward' for my MS efforts knowing it's not. I will not be able to sleep if I knowingly got someone in trouble even if it was their fault, and I kept mum if it'd benefit me. In hindsight, I'd have done what I did because my go-to WMs have been very lenient with me so I give them the same courtesy. I am thankful that I don't have to go to USPS for my MS activities since WM is more than enough for me.

I've had numerous scenarios that went awry and each one taught me to prepare to deal with them so I don't panic at the first sign of trouble.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:02 pm

I had my MO printed when mngr came over, looked at my gift cards and said I can't have my MO. Then spend 1hr trying to find a way to refund my gift cards after canceling MO with money gram. At the end gave me cash.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
I had my MO printed when mngr came over, looked at my gift cards and said I can't have my MO. Then spend 1hr trying to find a way to refund my gift cards after canceling MO with money gram. At the end gave me cash.
That's crazy. I'll take the cash any day though.
Wasting 1 hr though..no.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:53 pm

Once the money is send to money gram and MO prints or it doesn't WM can't possibly refund gift cards anymore. They have to give cash. I had that issue few times before when printer was broken but only once when MO actually printed out and they called to cancel it.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Once the money is send to money gram and MO prints or it doesn't WM can't possibly refund gift cards anymore. They have to give cash. I had that issue few times before when printer was broken but only once when MO actually printed out and they called to cancel it.
GCs can be refunded. That is total bs. It's refunded just like any other DC/cc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.