Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:19 am

[multiple posts merged]

Mo transactions didn't go through with code 05 12 and 51?!

I tried two different Walmarts, both rejected the VGCs I purchased from GCM.
GCM check balance page is currently down, could the two be related?

Tried to make a small payment to my car insurance and it was rejected, ...?!

[quote of deleted message removed]

It looks like the cards weren't activated despite having stickers that state otherwise. I'm on hold with GCM at the moment.

I got a reference number and a phone number to call on Monday or Tuesday if the cards haven't been activated by then.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Feb 6, 2017 at 8:00 am Reason: thread cleanup
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Mo transactions didn't go through with code 05 12 and 51?!
check if your card is activated and what funds you have on it, error 51 is no sufficient funds.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
check if your card is activated and what funds you have on it, error 51 is no sufficient funds.
Yeah that was it, apparently GCM is having activation shenanigans on their end and it will take a couple of days to sort them out.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:04 pm

Yeah that was it, apparently GCM is having activation shenanigans on their end and it will take a couple of days to sort them out.
that's what i thought, i went to four WMs today and had no issues.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Are OVMGC (Meta) good to go?

Last edited by frudd38; Feb 6, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:26 pm

Got bounced at my local Walmart by an employee who said they only take debit cards with the name printed with matching ID. Never had an issue before, last attempt in December went unaffected. Didn't make a stink, just left. Will try back in a couple days with a different employee.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by EdMcK515
Got bounced at my local Walmart by an employee who said they only take debit cards with the name printed with matching ID. Never had an issue before, last attempt in December went unaffected. Didn't make a stink, just left. Will try back in a couple days with a different employee.
What geographic area was this?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
What geographic area was this?
Philadelphia suburbs.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
There is always someone who thinks that your business is their business. You went about this issue in the correct fashion. Leave quietly and make sure that the next time you show up, that person is not manning the desk.

I would suggest that if you are appearing in that specific WM so often that they are starting to recognize you, then you may want to dial back your number of visits and go to alternative sources or WMs in the region.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The walmart I go to is awesome and the employees will actively help with money order transactions. There are a ton of people who use it, though (when I go, the line is almost exclusively people MSing). Today they asked me to record my name and then wrote down next to it the amount of MOs I bought. Should I be concerned about this? It had never happened previously.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:36 pm

I'm in Philly as well and have used about every Walmart in the area and I've heard pretty much every excuse there is. I've gotten denied before, came back an hour later and got my MO with a different employee.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:18 pm

I was getting two $1000 MO today using 4 SM VGC. When the cashier asked to see all my cards (never happened before at this WM), I thought "well, that's it now - she'll definitely deny them" - especially since the cards were so obvious - bright purple with huge "Gift Card" and "Thank you" up front. She looked at them and said "oh, so they are all the same? then - go ahead"

Apparently "Gift Card" and "Thank you" didn't bother her; she said that for split payments they cannot accept debit cards from different banks, but cards from the same bank are ok.

I mean - I am glad I still bought my MO, but - seriously? What kind of weird rule that is? (I would blame it on this particular cashier but she used to accept VGCs before no questions asked).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
I was getting two $1000 MO today using 4 SM VGC. When the cashier asked to see all my cards (never happened before at this WM), I thought "well, that's it now - she'll definitely deny them" - especially since the cards were so obvious - bright purple with huge "Gift Card" and "Thank you" up front. She looked at them and said "oh, so they are all the same? then - go ahead"

Apparently "Gift Card" and "Thank you" didn't bother her; she said that for split payments they cannot accept debit cards from different banks, but cards from the same bank are ok.

I mean - I am glad I still bought my MO, but - seriously? What kind of weird rule that is? (I would blame it on this particular cashier but she used to accept VGCs before no questions asked).
Did-did she make up her own weird rule?!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:49 pm

Did-did she make up her own weird rule?!
That's the only explanation I can come up with...but sheesh!
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:51 pm

Every once in a while I would bring doughnuts to my local Walmart since the money center workers always went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out. Today on my weekly MO run one of the cashiers pulled a bag of goodies and handed it to me and let me know they appreciate me back.
Felt good and weird at the same time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.