Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I forgot to write down the pin on one of my VGCs and had to use one of my bank debit.

Can a transaction be cancelled if 2 pins for VGCs have already been entered?
I've had it happen. The cards don't actually get debited until the transaction is final. They can cancel the transaction/void it before the end and your balance is untouched on the cards used at that point.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by shadow520
I've had it happen. The cards don't actually get debited until the transaction is final. They can cancel the transaction/void it before the end and your balance is untouched on the cards used at that point.
The way to think of it is, until a receipt has printed, nothing has officially happened.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by shadow520
Originally Posted by hiima
The way to think of it is, until a receipt has printed, nothing has officially happened.
thanks good to know.

lesson for me to double check I have the pin for all cards!

I used to call and change them to something I can easily remember but I thought writing down the original pin on the vgc was easier, that's if I remember to do it on all cards!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by misterno
Anyone knows any grocery stores and walmart accepting split payment for MO in Houston?

I have tried so many in Sugarland and Galleria and none accepts them. You can PM me if you want
10388 Us 59 Rd, Wharton, TX 77488
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:39 pm

I'm sure goldilocks won't go outside of houston
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks good to know.

lesson for me to double check I have the pin for all cards!

I used to call and change them to something I can easily remember but I thought writing down the original pin on the vgc was easier, that's if I remember to do it on all cards!
Vanilla of all kinds take the PIN of any 4 digits you first use. Then you can change it if you forget about it - either online or over the phone.
I use a fixed 4 digits for all Vanilla.

Other VGCs always are the last 4. Though if you feel the need you could set a unique PIN but that is way too time consuming.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Vanilla of all kinds take the PIN of any 4 digits you first use. Then you can change it if you forget about it - either online or over the phone.
I use a fixed 4 digits for all Vanilla.

Other VGCs always are the last 4. Though if you feel the need you could set a unique PIN but that is way too time consuming.
We're in the WM MO thread so these were definitely not Vanillas.

These were USBs and the default isnt the last 4 but come with a small card with the pin.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:39 pm

These were USBs and the default isnt the last 4 but come with a small card with the pin.
my default method is to always use last 4 for all cards, except for USB, where i will jot the given PIN with a marker.

otherwise i have to remember which one use last 4 , which one let you specify the first time, which one has a provided PIN etc etc, everytime i go to diff recycling centers. this will be too much hassle for me and make me prone to mistakes when liquidating.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:56 am

Are all WMs in OKC area hard coded against gebit->MO? I have tried 4 WM already.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by freetigress
Are all WMs in OKC area hard coded against gebit->MO? I have tried 4 WM already.
Can you give a summary of how you are doing it and with what type of card? If you are new, just try one metabank vgc to see if it works at WM and then up it to split payments from there the next time.

At WM, I generally ask for 2 MO for 999.30 to include fee (Total of $2000) and swipe the limit of 4 cards for 500 each with pin and you need to tell the clerk "I'm paying 500 at a time" and then swipe. WM allows 2 MO for $1000 per transaction and $3000 per day. $3000 per day is the limit unless you want your name in their book.
I found a great WM with a Money Center and all the employees are fine splitting the payment by 500 at a time. Some WM’s employees do not allow this even though the registers allow debit card swipes up to 4 times per transaction. If something gets goofed up and you have to swipe 5 times it will not go through, so they need to cancel the transaction and the money should return to your debit cards. Call to check balance before leaving the store.
I like that the giftcard.com and giftcardmall.com cards have my name on them and I also add the amount in the “Message on Card” field. Some stores like to see your name on the card, but try not to show them your card. Only if asked, I say I am earning miles while paying bills, if asked and leave it at that. Never say too much. Only refer to your cards as DEBIT cards, not gift cards. If a store says no, be polite and leave and try again at another store.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
my default method is to always use last 4 for all cards, except for USB, where i will jot the given PIN with a marker.
Ditto.

I've made it a habit to use the last 4, even for vanillas so that in case there's an issue, I know exactly what PIN I used for that card. So far, after several Ks worth of cards, I have not experienced a major issue that I have to go over boxes to find the one with a problem. With occasional USBGC, I use the PIN that comes with it, write the PIN at the back and drain it asap, usually within 48 hrs.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry did not realize thread specific question.

No USBs for me because the grocery stores here are CASH Only or Bank debit cards with name matches DL, until WF got into the game late last year per area FTers. Haven't set foot in WF so no idea what they sell. I also worry about the security of USBs therefore would not touch it even if it is an option.
Since I only want SPG pts and it earns no bonus so the choice for me is the lowest cost. Hence any cards sold outside Simon is out unless it is fee free.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by freetigress
Were you using MC Gebits? If so, all WM's require a bit of a workaround to use those. VGC's usually work fine, although I have run into one WM where they are hard coded not to allow them.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Today I was not able to buy MO at WM. Tried both GD and Meta, and both were declined. Is it something new? It was working earlier at the end of December.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by yugi
Today I was not able to buy MO at WM. Tried both GD and Meta, and both were declined. Is it something new? It was working earlier at the end of December.
Meta should work, worked yesterday, unless it changed overnight, which would be absolutely awful for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.