Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:21 pm

End of an era
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Stoughton
You're acting like the $5.95 fee is something new. MCGC are $5.95. All the fancy package VGC's are $5.95 and they don't seem to have any trouble selling those. Clearly people -are- buying them or they wouldn't have leveled the price across the product line.
My statement was mainly that Vinilla doesn't care about our business and you just confirmed that, so what's your point? On the other hand, we may have padded sales amounts for CVS and/or the GC distributor so they could suffer somehow.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:34 pm

Safe to assume that this ended everywhere U.S...... Too sad to see it gone.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
My statement was mainly that Vinilla doesn't care about our business and you just confirmed that, so what's your point? On the other hand, we may have padded sales amounts for CVS and/or the GC distributor so they could suffer somehow.
Personally, I think both the Vanilla issuer (Bancorp) and distributor (InComm)are going to miss MS customers, in the form of reduced sales volume. While MS customers are likely not the most profitable customers for these companies, I think MS customers nonetheless contribute positively to the bottom line.

I also think that the whole $4.95 to $5.95 thing was kinda non-event. Someone probably got tired of explaining to mgmt why they were selling some cards cheaper than othrs.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
I think MS customers nonetheless contribute positively to the bottom line.
Really? I doubt it. Since I have no idea how the distributor and issuer split things, I'll treat them as a single entity. Let's look at their revenues and expenses:

Revenues. The retailer sells a $500 GC for $505.95. Let's say they pay a 2% CC fee (likely higher for the CCs used to MS, but let's be conservative), netting them $495.83. I doubt they do this as a loss-leader, so let's assume they keep a mere $0.83, and forward $495 to the distributor/issuer.

Expenses. They need to pay the USPS $500 minus the PIN debit interchange fee, which is probably no more than $0.50 (I'm too lazy to look it up) -- call it $499.50.

So they're losing *at least* $4.50. This happens almost instantaneously (within a few days) in the case of MS, so they don't earn any material amount of interest on the balances they receive from the retailer before paying out to the USPS. With a normal customer, they'd earn more interchange fees, and have a longer time over which to earn interest.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Really? I doubt it. Since I have no idea how the distributor and issuer split things, I'll treat them as a single entity. Let's look at their revenues and expenses:

Revenues. The retailer sells a $500 GC for $505.95. Let's say they pay a 2% CC fee (likely higher for the CCs used to MS, but let's be conservative), netting them $495.83. I doubt they do this as a loss-leader, so let's assume they keep a mere $0.83, and forward $495 to the distributor/issuer.

Expenses. They need to pay the USPS $500 minus the PIN debit interchange fee, which is probably no more than $0.50 (I'm too lazy to look it up) -- call it $499.50.

So they're losing *at least* $4.50. This happens almost instantaneously (within a few days) in the case of MS, so they don't earn any material amount of interest on the balances they receive from the retailer before paying out to the USPS. With a normal customer, they'd earn more interchange fees, and have a longer time over which to earn interest.

Perhaps what we don't give them in the form of interest, instead we greatly inflate their ongoing balance of reserves. I don't know what other activities Matabank or Bancorp, or the GC companies engage in, but in that industry having tons of cash sitting there is a huge bonus for lending. We shall see in the coming months how Incomm responds.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:10 pm

Like USPS that sells and accepts Gift cards, i think many retailers mainly profit on the free cash flow from the GC sales, which is why staples/office depot would sometimes sell negative cost VGC (for MSers). I believe USPS is happy to take advantage of the cash flow we bring in but it is due to the concerns of money laundry and fraud risks that lead to the demise of accepting GCs buying MOs.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:35 pm

I've tried and tried, but I just cannot figure out, how do you achieve money laundering when you buy a money order with a gift card, vs. buying one with cash?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Several dozen
The USPS's down here (South Florida) got the system enhancement today and they are now hard coded to reject GCs except for the MO fee.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by UserMark
I've tried and tried, but I just cannot figure out, how do you achieve money laundering when you buy a money order with a gift card, vs. buying one with cash?
I dont know much abt ML. But to me, the concern is more at the upstream step. Stolen CCs or fake copies of CCs are used to purchase Gebits for anonymity. Though probably chipped card is now more prevalent to prevent the latter.

If/when chargeback occur, perhaps the downstream merchant also can get affected.

Not sure.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Bummer - noticed yesterday that there was a different "lock" picture on the screen saying "encrypted" which I thought was humorous. I was nervous because obviously we don't like system changes, but all cards went through just fine.

Back today - no go. I tried two different POs because I didn't look here first. At the second PO the lady asked "do you want me to charge the $16?" (sort of jokingly because she knew I didn't want the MOs anymore). Oh well. Now what to do with these gift cards lol.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:14 pm

I believe in this game, only credit card companies always lose. That's why they don't like MS.

Retailers probably get a kickback from gift card distributor/issuer as you mentioned.

Gift card distributor/issuer get the free cash flow, in addition some bonus gains if people misplace/forgot to use gift cards.

Money order issuer also get the free cash flow, in addition some bonus gains if people misplace/forgot to deposit money orders.

Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:17 pm

Really? I doubt it.
There's A LOT more MS'ers out there than you think. The bottom line will be felt by both USPO and Incom. They may not realize it now, but they will. Just like S&S felt the GC losses and started allowing cc for GC sales again.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:25 pm

Yup, game over

http://i2.wp.com/milesperday.com/wp-...6468.HEIC_.jpg
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:16 pm

Stopped by three POs here in the Bay Area and my OVGCs did not work at any of them, showed up as credit cards.

Any one have any other ideas how to liquidate the OVGC issued by bancorp?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.