Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by soyysays
Stopped by three POs here in the Bay Area and my OVGCs did not work at any of them, showed up as credit cards.

Any one have any other ideas how to liquidate the OVGC issued by bancorp?
No idea. Time for trial and error.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Stoughton
You're acting like the $5.95 fee is something new. MCGC are $5.95. All the fancy package VGC's are $5.95 and they don't seem to have any trouble selling those. Clearly people -are- buying them or they wouldn't have leveled the price across the product line.
Yes, people who MS are buying them, and almost nobody else.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:29 pm

Stopped by three POs here in the Bay Area and my OVGCs did not work at any of them, showed up as credit cards.

1/ Prepay your phone service
2/ Prepay your electric/gas bill
3/ Buy MOs at WM with 4 swipes - each swipe $49.99
4/ Buy VGCs at a grocery store using OVGCs
4/ Use OVs at a gas station
5/ Pay property tax

Etc etc.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:41 pm

Mastercard?

did anyone try master card issued from US bank? dead too?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:02 pm

Glad I went hard until the deal ended.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:34 am

It's all dead. Lock the thread now.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:26 am

I'm going to try a straight up bank-issued, embossed debit card today. If they have blocked that mode, then clearly the fix has gone too far and will have to be re-done.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
It's all dead. Lock the thread now.
Just stop viewing & unsubscribe. Interested parties still obviously feel like discussing, sharing.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:36 am

I will buy it at 80% the face value.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:44 am

So this will effectively kills Gas, Drug Store category bonuses and such as predominantly these places sold Vanilla VGCs, which are not accepted in WM beyond 49 bucks.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Several dozen
That's the MS spirit!

Originally Posted by tuphat
I'm going to try a straight up bank-issued, embossed debit card today. If they have blocked that mode, then clearly the fix has gone too far and will have to be re-done.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would they block a true debit card?

Do you not realize that all cards (that incl both debit and credit and gebit) are easily identified by their BIN and the next 2 groups of the 4 digits that followed?

It is not a difficult programming job to identify the relevant BIN and the related info. Just a matter of when the "authorities" finally take action to get the IT job done (because it still involves time and effort, thus the associated cost).

For speculation sake, I suspect GoBank ATM card and cards in similar vein would work perfectly fine because they are in a sense, true bank issued debit cards.
Here is a teaser, try MyVanilla Permanent Card, not the temp card from the store.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Happy

For speculation sake, I suspect GoBank ATM card and cards in similar vein would work perfectly fine because they are in a sense, true bank issued debit cards.
Here is a teaser, try MyVanilla Permanent Card, not the temp card from the store.
Technically speaking, all the cards we use are issued by a bank (look on the bank of the card). But maybe some animals are created more equal than others.

My data points, FWIW -- Paypal Business Debit and a TD Bank debit card were both accepted today for USPS MO purchase. Seems like hard coding is effective in allowing "real" debit cards to be used. However:

A guy in the PO at the same time, who definitely didn't look like a MSer, was having a very loud argument with the PO clerk about -- wait for it -- purchasing a MO with what sounded like some type of social benefit/welfare card. Guy said he "did it every month," but POS system wasn't processing. Clerk seemed dumbfounded, I left before seeing how it was resolved.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
So this will effectively kills Gas, Drug Store category bonuses and such as predominantly these places sold Vanilla VGCs, which are not accepted in WM beyond 49 bucks.
no, you just have to use vanillas or Amex GC to buy visa gift card at WM, grocery store, staples or Office Depot and then use visas to buy MO for less profit
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
My Citibank debit stopped working there the same time Metas stopped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.