Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
So, one of the big banks just caused a CC shutdown. CFPBed for rewards points but they are stealing them. What other options has everyone used. I was planning on filling a BBB complaint. Maybe something with the State AGs office. Any other good options. Its not enough for me to both with small claims court, but I'd like to make the banks life uncomfortable.
No one could help you with such vague information.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Why so vague?
In the city. Double time it. They were big jerks about it and won't provide any info on their decision. Haven't even MSed with them in months
Old May 10, 2017, 6:46 pm

with the 2xCB card, I can't remember the poster but I remember his post about getting shutdown while averaging $1500 CB for him and similar amount(?) for his wife. IIRC his CL was $10K and they cycled their CLs doing heavy MS. I hope he reads this and chimes in to let us know if he got back all of his CBs which were confiscated at shutdown.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:52 pm

In the city. Double time it. They were big jerks about it and won't provide any info on their decision. Haven't even MSed with them in months
how much CBs did they confiscate from you? what was your CL and how many times did you cycle it consistently for how many months? If let's say, you cycled $5K ten times or more, no wonder you'll get flagged but let's say your CL is $25K cycled one and a half times, they might let that slide. Of course, that's pure conjecture on my part but I really think for those they give low CLs that are cycled heavily, it'll just be a matter of time before they decide enough is enough.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:05 pm

did you wait and not redeem any CB regularly?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio
absolutely no reason not to take statement credit or auto deposit the moment your statement hits on citi 2x.
you deserve to be punished.
dont do it again.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:37 am

I was planning on filling a BBB complaint.
if you're referring to Better Business Bureau, they're useless for cases like yours so it'll just be a waste of time and effort. It'll be best to focus your effort on getting your CBs they confiscated (why didn't you redeem them soon as statement closed?); if you go to CFPB route, prepare credible answers that'll satisfy them for obviously MS related purchases. If your acct was shutdown in the middle of a statement period, I doubt you can get the CBs from transactions that have already posted. From what I've been reading, most of those who got shutdown didn't get a notice/warning, they just found out all their accounts have been axed.

the last time I forced the same bank to respond to me in my favor was when I filed complaint to CFPB regarding the miles I earned on a checking account.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Mamibear
with the 2xCB card, I can't remember the poster but I remember his post about getting shutdown while averaging $1500 CB for him and similar amount(?) for his wife. IIRC his CL was $10K and they cycled their CLs doing heavy MS. I hope he reads this and chimes in to let us know if he got back all of his CBs which were confiscated at shutdown.
that was me, and I did, but thats all I can say
Old May 11, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio
I did but its not like c@p1 or b@cl@ay where it becomes available immediately. There is a lag since it doesn't become available until statement and then another portion isn't available until after payment. So anyone that gets shutdown is going to have a good 2 months of revoked CB
Old May 11, 2017, 11:30 am

I did but its not like c@p1 or b@cl@ay where it becomes available immediately. There is a lag since it doesn't become available until statement and then another portion isn't available until after payment. So anyone that gets shutdown is going to have a good 2 months of revoked CB
I see what you're saying now, you didn't get the other 1%.

To avoid orphaned CBs, my strategy since I started is to PIF on or before statement cut-off date so I get the full 2% which I DD immediately to my bank on file. I make my own calculations to see if it matches the posted CB. I'm on year 3, so far, so good.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:43 pm

uh no.
charge. pay.
rinse.repeat.redeem.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by wrinkle7
uh no.
charge. pay.
rinse.repeat.redeem.
98% of the people have useful comments on this forum and then there is the other 2%
Old May 13, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by CWAL
DCU mentions it explicitly.
Thats crazy! And good to know
Old May 18, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Ugly breakups with Barclays/Citi/Chase/USB
I'm interested in paying for a replacement for FT. 10k+ with a solid history of no AA.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by statesmokes409
I'm interested in paying for a replacement for FT. 10k+ with a solid history of no AA.
What?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.