2017 Shutdown Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 18, 10:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and [email protected])
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and [email protected])
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

Old May 18, 17, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconY View Post
What?
👍
Old May 18, 17, 8:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by statesmokes409 View Post
I'm interested in paying for a replacement for FT. 10k+ with a solid history of no AA.
You might want to take this to craigslist missing connections, or something.
Old May 18, 17, 11:30 pm

Programs: Ugly breakups with Barclays/Citi/Chase/USB
I'd pay for information on a replacement for FT. Surely everyone has received the letter by now.
Old May 19, 17, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by statesmokes409 View Post
I'd pay for information on a replacement for FT. Surely everyone has received the letter by now.
Think only heavy hitters got this letter. Try not to ruin it for the others because your account was closed down...
Old May 19, 17, 7:36 am

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is it because a) I'm not a heavy hitter b) TGIF c) I'm lacking ideas in general nowadays d) Some of the above?
Old May 19, 17, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa View Post
Think only heavy hitters got this letter. Try not to ruin it for the others because your account was closed down...
Is Flyertalk closing people's accounts?
Old May 20, 17, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Zgirl View Post
I'm not positive, but I believe the FT reference is to an MS method involving online gambling.
Old May 20, 17, 11:02 am

If the online gambling sites (I'm not asking what others have, won't tell what I have either) are shutting down accounts, I have not gotten any for the ones opened in 2014 even if I have rarely loaded them since 2015 when T&C of the cards I used to load changed.
Old May 20, 17, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
In certain cases, I would hope so.
Old Jun 22, 17, 5:40 am

Just got shutdown letter from Santander bank. Must close within 30 days. Had personal checking and savings acct for 5 years, depositing $20-$50k in USPS and WM MOs per month, direct deposit of paycheck, paid CCs through direct debit. Carried account balance of $10k - $50k. ACH deposits into Santander from other banks. In NJ.

Got a friendly call from a local branch asking about MO activity. Explained that this was part of my business. They suggested opening a business acct instead. The two weeks later got the shutdown letter from Boston.

Any suggestions for a new bank or CU?
Old Jun 22, 17, 6:01 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by guywhocan View Post
Just got shutdown letter from Santander bank. Must close within 30 days. Had personal checking and savings acct for 5 years, depositing $20-$50k in USPS and WM MOs per month, direct deposit of paycheck, paid CCs through direct debit. Carried account balance of $10k - $50k. ACH deposits into Santander from other banks. In NJ.

Got a friendly call from a local branch asking about MO activity. Explained that this was part of my business. They suggested opening a business acct instead. The two weeks later got the shutdown letter from Boston.

Any suggestions for a new bank or CU?

You should take them up on that biz account offer. Go to the branch, look him straight in the face and make them commit to an account where they'll be ok with MOs and not shut you down.

Otherwise, WF is pretty good.
Old Jun 22, 17, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet View Post
You should take them up on that biz account offer. Go to the branch, look him straight in the face and make them commit to an account where they'll be ok with MOs and not shut you down.

Otherwise, WF is pretty good.
Thanks for the advice. Already using WF and know that Chase is a no-no. Any other ideas in NJ for banks or CUs that don't mind taking in heavy MOs?
Old Jun 22, 17, 8:59 am

I assumed most of you guys that do such MS volume deposit the MOs to a biz account since such accounts are inherently more tolerant to cash-like transactions.

Besides the immediate risk of shutdown, there's also higher chances of the banks reporting suspicious activities to the feds.
Old Jun 22, 17, 9:09 am

Most likely First Tech Credit Union... well know to the heavies....
Old Jun 22, 17, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Chase just shut down my CFU and my Slate Account, and I know of at least one more person that was shut down today.

Search this Thread