Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by fgirard
From my experience, BoA doesn't forgive for both CC and standard retail accounts.
Will your checking survive if Boa decides to cut all your credit line?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by ezakipocky
Will your checking survive if Boa decides to cut all your credit line?
Not in my situation. At least they allowed me to just close my accounts instead of having them frozen then closed. But, they did report to ChexSystems.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:23 am

Not in my situation. At least they allowed me to just close my accounts instead of having them frozen then closed. But, they did report to ChexSystems.
They let you close your checking & report it to Chex? If you don't mind sharing, was this for just depositing MOs or something else?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:18 am

one of my MS buddies have a similar experience she told us doing our regular MS meetings. She deposited MOs which she thought had already cleared (apparently the MOs were put on hold fwr) so when she did ACH pulls from her CC accounts, her account went red. BoA closed her account and placed derogatory remarks on her chexsystem report; from then on, she couldn't open more bank accounts. She tried to dispute that report but BoA wouldn't budge. She has "lost" a lot of bank bonuses for the past year; she told us to beware of the constrictor species!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
one of my MS buddies have a similar experience she told us doing our regular MS meetings. She deposited MOs which she thought had already cleared (apparently the MOs were put on hold fwr) so when she did ACH pulls from her CC accounts, her account went red. BoA closed her account and placed derogatory remarks on her chexsystem report; from then on, she couldn't open more bank accounts. She tried to dispute that report but BoA wouldn't budge. She has "lost" a lot of bank bonuses for the past year; she told us to beware of the constrictor species!
This is good advice. I always wait until the funds are no longer pending and are fully deposited and available in my account before using them. Never want to risk an issue like the above.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
They let you close your checking & report it to Chex? If you don't mind sharing, was this for just depositing MOs or something else?
It was depositing MOs, which changed the profile of types of deposits in my account. And because equal amounts of MOs were coming in to payments going out, it raised a red flag.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
It was depositing MOs, which changed the profile of types of deposits in my account. And because equal amounts of MOs were coming in to payments going out, it raised a red flag.
What did they report to Chex?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:46 pm

Does that mean she was only leaving $$ for a few days?

Key Bank & Huntington closed my account when I was doing an ACH to WF when I had the 5% card.

I've learned to leave it for at least a few weeks and to vary the amount being pulled from the deposit account.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by barschools
What did they report to Chex?
They reported "potential/suspected fraudulent activity". I ended up going into arbitration with them to get that cleared, but that story is for a different day.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Does that mean she was only leaving $$ for a few days?
she told us the amount of her deposits were almost equal to her ACH pulls leaving the account with very little amounts just to keep it open. prior to that closure, I warned the group about this snake-like bank having a bad reputation when it comes to MO deposits so when it happened to her she said I was right all along; hindsight is 20/20. Now, I still warn them about WMBP shutdowns from the major Bs, most of them are now listening.

I prefer the local banks and CUs with shared branching for both MS and nonMS banking.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So what I read is, your friend didn't make sure the money was in her account before pulling the money out? Is that correct?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:58 am

They reported "potential/suspected fraudulent activity". I ended up going into arbitration with them to get that cleared, but that story is for a different day.
I've got the same ChexSystem report, the exact wording was "suspicious/fraudulent activity" from Chase during the coin days. Ended up having it cleared after filing small claim. It was not fun going through this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Several dozen
Gotta remember that Chase has always looked closely at keeping money laundering to a minimum. Back in the day of Bernie Madoff (1998-2005) they cut him off after laundering $76 billion. Perhaps you were just moving too much money?

As I recall the fines were about $2 billion for Chase's starring role in BernieGate, but I forgot whether any Chase executives were thrown from their tower and told to flap their arms and fly like a bird.

Originally Posted by Zgirl
I've got the same ChexSystem report, the exact wording was "suspicious/fraudulent activity" from Chase during the coin days. Ended up having it cleared after filing small claim. It was not fun going through this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:49 pm

Bummer of a day!

1. SHUTdn by chs3 - all 10 cc for 2 ppl clsd
2. Length of account before closure and CL? 2-4yr 8k-15k
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings? No chs3 checking or savings dpst, used WF and CU. Using 2 bnks may have done it.
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months? 2K for 2 mnths then 5K for 2 mnths on FU. This may have done it.
5. Cycle CL? No
6. Did you BP using both options? No

I have hotel reservations using UR points in Jan and April, so I hope those are ok. Moving all pts to Hyatt.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Gotta remember that Chase has always looked closely at keeping money laundering to a minimum. Back in the day of Bernie Madoff (1998-2005) they cut him off after laundering $76 billion. Perhaps you were just moving too much money?

As I recall the fines were about $2 billion for Chase's starring role in BernieGate, but I forgot whether any Chase executives were thrown from their tower and told to flap their arms and fly like a bird.
My impression is that Chase looks closely at certain cards that cost them more and less closely at cards that cost them less.

Sorry it all blew up on you Travelz.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Sep 22, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.