Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Were you playing with ST Delta debits or CCs or just recycling paper there?
washing only. No CC.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
You're talking checking? Savings? If you don't mind sharing, what was your MO volume and frequency?
Less than $50k a month in the biz. Personal was dormant.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:55 pm

Add me to the DCU shutdown list. I was hoping based on my patterns and volume I would fly under the radar but no luck.

RIP DCU. You were the best.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by traveltogo
Add me to the DCU shutdown list. I was hoping based on my patterns and volume I would fly under the radar but no luck.

How much were you doing?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:01 pm

$10-$15k/month for over a year.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:16 pm

Thank you for providing the relevant bits.

Now can a moderator make it a rule that you can't post in the Shutdown thread without providing the following details:
Bank, Credit Card info.
Length of account before closure.
Volume of manufactured spending.
Etc...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:35 pm

did you open the account just last year?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I have a checking account with Ch$ae and obviously a few CC as well. I've been paying my rent ($1k) and car payment ($500) each month by purchasing VGC at WM and then getting MO. My landlord and lessor on the vehicle accept MO without issue.

Is this actually MS?

Is there any risk associated with doing this? Again, Ch$ae sees the direct deposit come in from my employer every two weeks, and the MO are actually paying for things. I'm worried because I love the CCs I have.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I have a checking account with Ch$ae and obviously a few CC as well. I've been paying my rent ($1k) and car payment ($500) each month by purchasing VGC at WM and then getting MO. My landlord and lessor on the vehicle accept MO without issue.

Is this actually MS?

Is there any risk associated with doing this? Again, Ch$ae sees the direct deposit come in from my employer every two weeks, and the MO are actually paying for things. I'm worried because I love the CCs I have.
I don't consider what you are doing to be MS, although buying VGC could possibly raise red flags (Chase doesn't know the MO you buy is "paying for things"). But I think the volume you are doing is very low risk.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Red Raider LV

Is this actually MS?

You should be fine as long as you never ever deposit MOs at your Chase checking account.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
I haven't seen any DPs about Double Cash. What does normally get people shut down, maxing CL continuously, obvious online MS, something else?
Originally Posted by Happy
Definitely seems so. Citi Double Cash, CapOne QS, Spark, Venture, Barclays A+, Fido 2x, and even Chase UR cards when the UR pts transfer to parties not allowed by the T&Cs. All are currencies that can turn into ready cash or very close to cash.
Originally Posted by Happy
Go back to 2016 thread and the Citi shut down thread 2016. No definite answers but you can get the general culprits by reading thru what people reported. Plenty of it.

Bottom line, as AlohaDaveKennedy points out, the banks all play closer attention to their cards that effectively pay back in cash. if your preferred vehicles to MS are cash back cards, either you only do it very moderately (thus a waste of time/effort) or else you prepare for the eventual outcome. Banks dont like MS on their own inhouse cards that effectively pay back in cash.

i have a citi im doing some MS on for the 5% cash back (but its capped at $300/year) category at drugstores, any DP's on if there is an amount of cashback that is causing the shutdowns?

Last edited by hotttoddie; Apr 11, 2017 at 4:23 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by hotttoddie
i have a citi im doing some MS on for the 5% cash back (but its capped at $300/year) category at drugstores, any DP's on if there is an amount of cashback that is causing the shutdowns?
That's only $6K in spending over the whole year. I can't imagine CB would shut you down for that. Also, the department store bonus is hard to MS, so you might not meet $1500 in the late fall.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS
That's only $6K in spending over the whole year. I can't imagine CB would shut you down for that. Also, the department store bonus is hard to MS, so you might not meet $1500 in the late fall.
If you're talking about Citi Dividend, the cap is just $6000 per year; there's no $1500 per quarter cap.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by sbft77
If you're talking about Citi Dividend, the cap is just $6000 per year; there's no $1500 per quarter cap.
thanks for clarifying that. Disregard my $1500 comment above.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:22 am

I hear some chatter on DCU in another forum. Most of the data point is for MO deposit for >10k/month for last year+.
Please share if other has different RIP criteria.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:30 am

Shutdown by Citi. All cards gone.

1) MS
2) MS
3) MS
4) WMBP and Bank payments from 5 different banks

Will miss the ATT card and qatar redemption

Last edited by kingofkingsforu; Apr 14, 2017 at 11:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.