Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dillon83
Did GoBank take away the Bill Pay function in the app? I don't see it under the pay tab anymore.
Yes I posted it last week. Not a lot of chatter about it and so I guess not a lot of people were using the app. You can continue doing BP from the website though.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:41 pm

Hi I just got two GoBank cards...one is with chip and one is not chipped card. I had no problem loading the chipped gobank card, but when trying to load the nonchipped gobank card, the transaction wouldn't go through. is there a difference between chipped and nonchipped gobank card?

Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, BA, HH
BP function is back on app.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by traveltogo
But certainly not advisable. Plenty of shutdown DPs with a long battle to get your money back.
Is it a rolling 30 days or a calendar month?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by PHXPointsFan
Is it a rolling 30 days or a calendar month?
rolling
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:22 pm

I hate the "rolling" months, it's much tougher to keep track of.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:14 am

seems like new GoBank card with chip can not be loaded at WM without fee. Paperwork with card states.. to load to card.. use swipe..to make a purchase.. use chip. So while attempting a 500.00 VGC load with new card this AM..system kept saying insert chip.. load for swipe did not work..and rep doing her job has done the same thing for me for 2 years. After a few attempts rep got it to load..except terminal on my side stated 503.74 load. So fee is charged? defeats the purpose. So (no one on line)I switched to wife reg go bank card..no chip, xaction went as usual. So did I or clerk do something wrong? paperwork with new card states to swipe if loading and use chip if purchasing..weird.This can end the gobank system for msers.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
seems like new GoBank card with chip can not be loaded at WM without fee. Paperwork with card states.. to load to card.. use swipe..to make a purchase.. use chip. So while attempting a 500.00 VGC load with new card this AM..system kept saying insert chip.. load for swipe did not work..and rep doing her job has done the same thing for me for 2 years. After a few attempts rep got it to load..except terminal on my side stated 503.74 load. So fee is charged? defeats the purpose. So (no one on line)I switched to wife reg go bank card..no chip, xaction went as usual. So did I or clerk do something wrong? paperwork with new card states to swipe if loading and use chip if purchasing..weird.This can end the gobank system for msers.
Do you have Visa or MC version?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by bunny425
Hi I just got two GoBank cards...one is with chip and one is not chipped card. I had no problem loading the chipped gobank card, but when trying to load the nonchipped gobank card, the transaction wouldn't go through. is there a difference between chipped and nonchipped gobank card?

Thanks.
Should not make a difference between chipped and non-chipped. I got my renewed card in Jan 2020 and it was still the non-chipped card which I was surprised and was able to load GoBank just fine last week.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:10 pm

I have the chipped card Mastercard version. I have been using it for 6 months and there was never a load fee. Went to load $500 VGC today, and there was a $3.74 load fee. Exact same card that I have been using for the past 6 months. This was at a regular register, but I would assume the money center wouldn't be any different. Seems like the free load perk is gone...on my card at least.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by History05
I have the chipped card Mastercard version. I have been using it for 6 months and there was never a load fee. Went to load $500 VGC today, and there was a $3.74 load fee. Exact same card that I have been using for the past 6 months. This was at a regular register, but I would assume the money center wouldn't be any different. Seems like the free load perk is gone...on my card at least.
hope not... have u called for conf? Thx
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
hope not... have u called for conf? Thx
No, I haven't called. Today was the first time in almost a month I tried to load my GoBank. But there was definitely no $3.74 load fee before.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by History05
No, I haven't called. Today was the first time in almost a month I tried to load my GoBank. But there was definitely no $3.74 load fee before.
Loaded mine on 3/13 and 3/14. No load fees. Mastercard, chipped and loaded at WM.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkfrank
Loaded mine on 3/13 and 3/14. No load fees. Mastercard, chipped and loaded at WM.
Was it at a register or the money center/customer service desk? Mine was at a register. Wonder if that makes a difference. I’ll see if I can try again today at the money center instead.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:18 am

To avoid shutdown I only load 500 once a month. Sometimes they charge loading fee though and I’m OK with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.