Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Just hit the load limit for this month....booooo
Same, one more week...
cajunguy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:00 pm

What is the max you can load to a temp card nowadays? I noticed that the new permanent MC card now has a chip but somehow cost $3 something to load at Walmart
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Orochimaru
What is the max you can load to a temp card nowadays? I noticed that the new permanent MC card now has a chip but somehow cost $3 something to load at Walmart
Temp purchased at Walmart (MC) and replaced with permanent card will require using chip but still no load fee for me. I think $500 is still max on temp card. I loaded $495+purchase fee initially without issue on VGC.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:24 pm

According to the Buying Money Orders at Walmart wiki:
Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.

Does this also apply to gobank loads at register?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by ericliujian
Does it work?
That's how I do it rather than GB billpay. Just set up GB as a pay from account on your credit card's payment page. I pay a Chase business card that way.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by royallyflushed
How are you guys doing ACH pulls? I tried to add GoBank details into several other banks and kept getting this error:

"The routing number is invalid or not supported. Please check the routing number you have entered or enter a different routing number"
I have the same problem with my bank. Same message received as you. I wonder if it is a bank by bank issue? Called my bank and they don't have the routing number GoBank provides as the routing number they have for GoBank/GreenDot.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by elc2414
I have the same problem with my bank. Same message received as you. I wonder if it is a bank by bank issue? Called my bank and they don't have the routing number GoBank provides as the routing number they have for GoBank/GreenDot.
I don't pull, but my WF DD works fine each month for $500 using the information on my account page.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:59 am

How are you guys doing ACH pulls? I tried to add GoBank details into several other banks and kept getting this error:

"The routing number is invalid or not supported. Please check the routing number you have entered or enter a different routing number"
Originally Posted by elc2414
If you use an iPhone add your gobank card to apple wallet, add cash to apple cash, then transfer out to your bank. Transfers are done overnight.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by cuthroat
If you use an iPhone add your gobank card to apple wallet, add cash to apple cash, then transfer out to your bank. Transfers are done overnight.
Right on! I use this method to fulfill the monthly DD req. I just am not sure how people were using ACH pulls directly from other banks. Right now it seems I can only push into the account and not pull from it. I even tried adding the debit card to Apple Cash and it said the bank isn’t supported.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:18 am

Right on! I use this method to fulfill the monthly DD req. I just am not sure how people were using ACH pulls directly from other banks. Right now it seems I can only push into the account and not pull from it. I even tried adding the debit card to Apple Cash and it said the bank isn’t supported.
That's what I am trying to set up with my "regular" bank - fulfill the DD requirement with my own money by sending money to GoBank - and get the message that the routing number is invalid or unsupported. Called both GoBank and my regular bank to see what the problem is and they more or less blamed each other's systems. I only have 2 people in my entire family that use iPhones, so I may have to experiment with one of theirs.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:09 pm

So I have a weird scenario I'm hoping anyone has any insight. I used the "Send" feature on GoBank to send myself some money on PayPal. It went in to my PayPal account and deducted from GoBank, ended up not needing the money and I refunded the PayPal transaction. I figured it would just go back on to my GoBank card immediately but nothing is showing up.

Now I'm wondering if they actually debited MY card when you do this (ie if I do a PayPal refund it goes back to the card it was debited from... me..) or if it's coming from an aggregated GoBank/Greendot PayPal account and when I refunded it, it just went back in to the abyss and not actually to me.

I called customer service but they didn't understand and I have no idea who I can email or write who might actually be able to help me with this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by cokeguy223
So I have a weird scenario I'm hoping anyone has any insight. I used the "Send" feature on GoBank to send myself some money on PayPal. It went in to my PayPal account and deducted from GoBank, ended up not needing the money and I refunded the PayPal transaction. I figured it would just go back on to my GoBank card immediately but nothing is showing up.

Now I'm wondering if they actually debited MY card when you do this (ie if I do a PayPal refund it goes back to the card it was debited from... me..) or if it's coming from an aggregated GoBank/Greendot PayPal account and when I refunded it, it just went back in to the abyss and not actually to me.

I called customer service but they didn't understand and I have no idea who I can email or write who might actually be able to help me with this.
Give it a few days. I don't think it works that way where money would get immediately refunded back to your account on a cancelled transaction. Probably best to just keep the money in Paypal next time and just ACH to your bank if you don't need the money.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:20 pm

mine was able to load more with an existing balance at $3k.. curious anyone was able to load more than $3k recently?

Last edited by danhouston; Sep 1, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cuthroat
Apple Wallet, will not let me add my GoBank card from MasterCard.

"Your issuer does not yet offer support for this card".
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Apple Wallet, will not let me add my GoBank card from MasterCard.

"Your issuer does not yet offer support for this card".
I have the Visa version. I would try to add it ever so often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.