Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
My Barclays cards were also closed recently.
Sorry to hear that.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:19 pm

My Barclays cards were also closed recently while I was traveling abroad. I'm not a heavy MSer, but I was loading my (now closed) SoftServe $1500 a month with my World arrival card for about 18 months. And I bought a few Amex gift cards back when we could get cash back on $2000 cards via portals. I never cycled my limit. I also had two Aviator cards that I rarely used. I got the letter saying that my accounts were closed based on a review of my account activity. It isn't a huge loss, but I hope I'm not banned for life by Barclays.
Hmmm, $1500 loading per month seems like small beans, I'm surprised if it would cause the cc closures. Surely there's a greater cause for suspicion here than just traveling abroad, or loading a tiny $1500/mo. Can you think of any other activity that would've incited a full-on blacklist by Barclay?

I have a Barclay card I got suckered into. I didn't get a single reward for it, never wanted it, have never used it, just made a bad decision on the phone while trying to cancel a different card. If Barclays is harassing customers, I definitely don't want to utilize them.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:39 am

My Barclays cards were also closed recently while I was traveling abroad. I'm not a heavy MSer, but I was loading my (now closed) SoftServe $1500 a month with my World arrival card for about 18 months. And I bought a few Amex gift cards back when we could get cash back on $2000 cards via portals. I never cycled my limit. I also had two Aviator cards that I rarely used. I got the letter saying that my accounts were closed based on a review of my account activity. It isn't a huge loss, but I hope I'm not banned for life by Barclays.
This is not the first time my MS-related accounts received adverse actions after a long trip. Knowing nothing about the financial world, I'm wondering if the drastic differential in usage might have trigger a manual review, which led to closure after the reviewer tool a closer look at the account activities. Both of our Aviators went from 40-60k spendings on average to almost nothing last month.

Previously, I received several calls from multiple banks asking for MO deposits. Coincidently, those all happened after usage was drastically changed.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by donuteric
This is not the first time my MS-related accounts received adverse actions after a long trip. Knowing nothing about the financial world, I'm wondering if the drastic differential in usage might have trigger a manual review, which led to closure after the reviewer tool a closer look at the account activities. Both of our Aviators went from 40-60k spendings on average to almost nothing last month.

Previously, I received several calls from multiple banks asking for MO deposits. Coincidently, those all happened after usage was drastically changed.
I haven't had any issues. Did heavy MS on my Arrival+ for the past 6 months , with two multi-week international trips in between, and no issues. I do at least 6-7x CL per month. Maybe it's because I use up my points immediately as they post on refundable hotel bookings. They don't want to bother with me figuring they can't teach me a lesson
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I haven't had any issues. Did heavy MS on my Arrival+ for the past 6 months , with two multi-week international trips in between, and no issues. I do at least 6-7x CL per month. Maybe it's because I use up my points immediately as they post on refundable hotel bookings. They don't want to bother with me figuring they can't teach me a lesson
I do think there may be some truth to that. There have been more than a few of us with large points balances who have been shut down by Chase or Barclays.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:03 am

WM bill pay thread has reference to multiple bill pay causing issues with CC shutdown.

Let's say I have a CC in my name and three Serve accounts A(my name), B & C (other names)

Instead of paying CC from serve B & C directly(names won't match), I could first transfer the funds from serve B&C to serve A and then pay from serve A to CC this way the name will match. The only issue in this case is, there will be lot more turnover in Serve A. Is this really a problem and does this method alleviate that problem?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I do think there may be some truth to that. There have been more than a few of us with large points balances who have been shut down by Chase or Barclays.
With A+ I say good riddance anyway. Once their new crappy rewards structure propagates to remaining accounts, the card is no longer worth it except for churning, given other free 2x options. The sad thing is if they kept it the way it is I'd pay the fee for extra 0.22% return.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
If you had a balance of reward points you had to forfeit with Barclay, don't waste your time calling them.

File a complaint with consumerfinance.gov.

That should help you out.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So.. is the trend to not travel abroad, or not use a Barclays card abroad?

I am starting to wish we had a dedicated Barclays shutdown thread to try to make heads or tails of these data points. I'm MSing on one of my Aviator cards right now to hit the 6 month/30k mile bonus but I don't really want to lose my 2 Aviator cards.
This past summer I used my Silver Avaitor card in Europe, it was my only CC that is a Chip and Pin, I charged will over 10K on the card while over there, not one issue. I called a week before we left and told them where we were going and for how long. They thanked me and off we went. Since then I've used my card for over 20K worth of purchases, just got my companion certificate or my 10K elite points.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Simple Bank acc closed

Hey guys,

I opened a Simple account just under 30 days ago. In the first 30 days i deposited about $6k in money orders. Well, just 2 days ago (16th) I was shut down. Also on the 16th, a payment was sent out to Amex. Usually the amex payments post 2 business days after payment sent date, however, 2 days later (18th) it still has not posted.

Does anyone know if they maybe stopped the payment since account was closed? I also have a bit under $2k under hold since the 30 days has not elapsed. The message said after all balances have been settled, i will be sent a check. I just... can't figure out what the deal with the payment is, though.

The phone agent actually told me I'm not eligible for phone support and that they can only reply via the app, which they haven't.

Anyone else been through this?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by shakim
Hey guys,

I opened a Simple account just under 30 days ago. In the first 30 days i deposited about $6k in money orders. Well, just 2 days ago (16th) I was shut down. Also on the 16th, a payment was sent out to Amex. Usually the amex payments post 2 business days after payment sent date, however, 2 days later (18th) it still has not posted.

Does anyone know if they maybe stopped the payment since account was closed? I also have a bit under $2k under hold since the 30 days has not elapsed. The message said after all balances have been settled, i will be sent a check. I just... can't figure out what the deal with the payment is, though.

The phone agent actually told me I'm not eligible for phone support and that they can only reply via the app, which they haven't.

Anyone else been through this?
And you thought this was a good idea WHY? I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more of these now that the throngs have moved to money orders. How can you not know this is a bad idea? Please read up before moving into this part of the game.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
It's detailed in this ms section that Simple has shut many people down. They also allegedly hold onto funds for a long time. It's also detailed in many threads in this ms section that doing that much in MO deposits to any new account is a bad idea. "New" account means less than a year. Many still don't deposit even that much into older accounts. This is not really directed at the OP, since they probably already feel horrible about all this, but other readers need to be very careful about MOs and read, read, read and go slow, slow, slow or find another avenue.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:05 pm

Money Orders are an instrument of the Devil !
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:55 am

OK--I have read through 2015 and 2016 threads now. It doesnt seem like there have been any cases of pinpointing shut downs to CC payments in-branch with MO. Yes, that has been mixed in with other activities (such as direct deposit of MO into checking--the majority of shut downs it seems are due to this)...but I dont see anyone who got shut down solely because they made payments in branch with MO (without having deposited any MO into checking)? Are people regarding this as an equal risk factor as MO deposit?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ilovemynikes
OK--I have read through 2015 and 2016 threads now. It doesnt seem like there have been any cases of pinpointing shut downs to CC payments in-branch with MO. Yes, that has been mixed in with other activities (such as direct deposit of MO into checking--the majority of shut downs it seems are due to this)...but I dont see anyone who got shut down solely because they made payments in branch with MO (without having deposited any MO into checking)? Are people regarding this as an equal risk factor as MO deposit?
instead of depositing to my chase checking, I pay my mortgage & credit card in branch. I don't MS with chase unless to meet minimum spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.