Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by ilovemynikes
OK--I have read through 2015 and 2016 threads now. It doesnt seem like there have been any cases of pinpointing shut downs to CC payments in-branch with MO. Yes, that has been mixed in with other activities (such as direct deposit of MO into checking--the majority of shut downs it seems are due to this)...but I dont see anyone who got shut down solely because they made payments in branch with MO (without having deposited any MO into checking)? Are people regarding this as an equal risk factor as MO deposit?
I think most people would say that paying your card in branch with MO is safer than depositing MO. That doesn't mean it is completely safe though.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I think most people would say that paying your card in branch with MO is safer than depositing MO. That doesn't mean it is completely safe though.
Neither is safe. At all. But the question is, which do you care more about, your credit card relationship, or your banking relationship? That should answer your question for you.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:13 pm

Has anyone been able to successfully open a chase card after been shutdown? I honestly miss chase as they have a big portfolio of travel cards.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by wildcat1313
Has anyone been able to successfully open a chase card after been shutdown? I honestly miss chase as they have a big portfolio of travel cards.
There is a thread about Chase shutdowns in the credit card forum. In there, I've seen a few reports of people being able to open a new chase card a year or two after a shutdown.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:33 pm

my arrival card was shutdown! any suggestions? i have lots of points on it!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by dansdealsfan
my arrival card was shutdown! any suggestions? i have lots of points on it!
Use the points? Honestly I don't know what you expect people to say. This isn't like UR/TYP/MR points where you can transfer them to another card.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Use the points? Honestly I don't know what you expect people to say. This isn't like UR/TYP/MR points where you can transfer them to another card.
With Barclays, you forfeit the points if you are shutdown. I lost about 70k points ($700) worth when I was canned. Complaining to the CFPB didn't help...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by us1549
With Barclays, you forfeit the points if you are shutdown. I lost about 70k points ($700) worth when I was canned. Complaining to the CFPB didn't help...
Got to be careful with barclays. Horrible support and they watch you like a hawk. But I love this card since it covers things like Disney tickets and other expenses some cards don't.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
Got to be careful with barclays. Horrible support and they watch you like a hawk. But I love this card since it covers things like Disney tickets and other expenses some cards don't.
Every 2% cashback card "covers" every purchase. The only advantage of A+ was the 10% savings on points, for which you had to jump through hoops of only redeeming for $25+ charges and only what they deemed as travel related.

With the new lower points savings and $100+ minimum redemption, it's not worth the effort. I'll go back to using Spark or Doublecash.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:49 pm

Yup. the only way to use the points is charge on it. But if you card is shutdown, you're out of luck.

Did you do a lot of Msing on it?

I haven't used my A+ for like a year. It was very useful in Europe since it's chip and pin. I will probably cancel it at the end of the month when the AF kick in. I'll have them move my points to the no fee A.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sosamo
I haven't used my A+ for like a year. It was very useful in Europe since it's chip and pin. I will probably cancel it at the end of the month when the AF kick in. I'll have them move my points to the no fee A.
the Aviator Silver card has the Chip and Pin.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by us1549
Did lots of Simon MS on my Arrival. Annual fee hit last month and coincidentally got a call from someone at Barclays. Left a message to speak with me. I used my points, cancelled card and likely just avoided shutdown.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by MNHunter
Did lots of Simon MS on my Arrival. Annual fee hit last month and coincidentally got a call from someone at Barclays. Left a message to speak with me. I used my points, cancelled card and likely just avoided shutdown.

Good move. I love preemptive strikes.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
the Aviator Silver card has the Chip and Pin.
I have the Aviator Red

Either way. I am not going to back to Europe anytime soon. Well I am glad I stop MS on the A+ like a year ago. About $2500 a month at Simon.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
Good move. I love preemptive strikes.

seems like there are lots of stories out there of ppl getting their A+ cards shut down, but what about Aaviator reds/silvers? havent heard many shutdown stories there. not sure how much MS is too much on the avaiator red card. my limit is 12.5k and in month 1 I MSed 4k. Next month planning 6k, and so on until I hit around the limit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.