Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:50 pm

Been going hard recently around 50K a week. Shutdowns at Alliant and DCU declined my app. Shutdown at Huntington last month (that one was my fault as it was before I knew about how MOs are frowned upon). Always seems to be something new with MS. Was it really a lot easier years ago?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
Good move. I love preemptive strikes.
Of course poster doesn't know what the call was about. Maybe they wanted to raise the CL.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by cdog999
Been going hard recently around 50K a week. Shutdowns at Alliant and DCU declined my app. Shutdown at Huntington last month (that one was my fault as it was before I knew about how MOs are frowned upon). Always seems to be something new with MS. Was it really a lot easier years ago?
Yes it was. The hardest thing was getting the cartons of coins from the car into the bank.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by ilovemynikes
seems like there are lots of stories out there of ppl getting their A+ cards shut down, but what about Aaviator reds/silvers? havent heard many shutdown stories there. not sure how much MS is too much on the avaiator red card. my limit is 12.5k and in month 1 I MSed 4k. Next month planning 6k, and so on until I hit around the limit
My aviator card was shut down awhile back.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ilovemynikes
seems like there are lots of stories out there of ppl getting their A+ cards shut down, but what about Aaviator reds/silvers? havent heard many shutdown stories there. not sure how much MS is too much on the avaiator red card. my limit is 12.5k and in month 1 I MSed 4k. Next month planning 6k, and so on until I hit around the limit
Maybe I'm getting lazy now that the easy liquidation methods are gone, but I don't really see the point in MSing for 1x on the Aviator unless you're close to a redemption or trying to hit the companion certificate. I hit it hard last year at Simon when they had the 50% bonus miles offer but that was it. I did 10k in the span of a month with no issues, and that included payments from my Serve account during the billing cycle to keep the utilization down.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:27 pm

I was shut down by Schwab. 15K per week in MO deposits
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl
I was shut down by Schwab. 15K per week in MO deposits
I too can vouch for a Schwab shutdown at similar numbers.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Was your alliant shutdown due to high deposit or too many transfers? or alot of everything? usually they give a warning and an explanation....
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:19 pm

PNC closed my checking account and hold my money for another month. Do I need to file a BBB claim to get money back sooner or what else? I need the money to pay bills. Thank you for your kind advice.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
PNC closed my checking account and hold my money for another month. Do I need to file a BBB claim to get money back sooner or what else? I need the money to pay bills. Thank you for your kind advice.
How many MOs were you depositing?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by bar19900
Was your alliant shutdown due to high deposit or too many transfers? or alot of everything? usually they give a warning and an explanation....
Yes, I got a warning. Was fairly generic, said unusual banking transactions not indicative of paying bills or something like that. I stopped pushing out transfers after that. I started sprinkling in bill pays and pulls from an external brokerage. Alas, it didn't matter.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
I'm curious as well for some specifics...
1) What checking account did you have?
2) How much in MOs were you depositing? All at ATMs?
3) Did you have any other Direct Deposits or anything going there?

I have their top of the line personal checking which requires a $5000 a month DD. This has actually been my best deposit option to this point and I would cry if I lost this option.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US, DL, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Club C. Gold, Marriott Silver
3 of my Barclay cards were shutdown last week.

Aviator AF was due so I called Barclay's to see if they would give me a retention offer. I was offered a credit of the AF and 5K AA miles for a $1K spend over 3 months which I accepted. Two days later my Aviator Red, NFL card and Barlay Arrival Plus were all cancelled. After 2 or 3 months of very little MS on my Arrival Plus, I picked up the pace last month, but kept my MS spend under my credit line. However, I made multiple payments on my card. I think speaking to the retention dept. caused them to look closely at my accts.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by World2Travel
3 of my Barclay cards were shutdown last week.

Aviator AF was due so I called Barclay's to see if they would give me a retention offer. I was offered a credit of the AF and 5K AA miles for a $1K spend over 3 months which I accepted. Two days later my Aviator Red, NFL card and Barlay Arrival Plus were all cancelled. After 2 or 3 months of very little MS on my Arrival Plus, I picked up the pace last month, but kept my MS spend under my credit line. However, I made multiple payments on my card. I think speaking to the retention dept. caused them to look closely at my accts.
very little MS on my Arrival Plus---How much ?

picked up the pace last month---------How much

multiple payments
-------------from where and how often
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
very little MS on my Arrival Plus---How much ?

picked up the pace last month---------How much

multiple payments
-------------from where and how often
My Barclays card was shutdown yesterday. I was doing 10-15k every month. Waiting for the reason for shutdown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.