Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by windowandaisleseatonly
Chase Bank unilaterally shut down all my credit cards and banking accounts yesterday. I think what triggered it was the high volume of staples vgc purchases on my ink cards. I was pushing $5k a month on each card. Fortunately I still have Amex cards and citi cards
Did you recently do any of the following:

1) An Apporama that would have increased your available credit lines?
2) Open a new Chase card?
3) Allow higher than usual balances to post on your credit report that would give the impression of a rapid increase in your credit card debt?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:31 pm

Chase Bank unilaterally shut down all my credit cards and banking accounts yesterday. I offloaded 743k UR points to Hyatt, United and southwest just now. I think what triggered it was the high volume of staples vgc purchases on my ink cards. I was pushing $5k a month on each card. Fortunately I still have Amex cards and citi cards
Holy Molly, you had 743K UR points, that's lot of MSing. So isn't is obvious why they might have shut you down.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sosamo
5k a month at Staples doesn't seem like a large number.
It does to me, and probably to Chase on a 5x category. Considering they cap the 5x at $50,000 per year... that's 250k UR per year. OP was probably a pretty unprofitable customer.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
Holy Molly, you had 743K UR points, that's lot of MSing. So isn't is obvious why they might have shut you down.
Less than $150K at Staples . . .
farwest101 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Did you recently do any of the following:

1) An Apporama that would have increased your available credit lines?
2) Open a new Chase card?
3) Allow higher than usual balances to post on your credit report that would give the impression of a rapid increase in your credit card debt?
1 no new cards opened since last June. Only one card was opened (united me). Prior to that, I was opening one card per quarter
2 no
3 across my 6 cards, I Consistently kept volume to 3-5k a month. $15-20k a month total, my total limit per card was 20k per card. I would rotate the cards which I ms on. Given that, I kept monthly spend at less that 30% of limit.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:02 am

I didn't burn the points fast enough sure to Lack of pto. This was an residual accumulation over 3 years over 2 ink cards. We went on honeymoon and burned 400k points last year.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Less than $150K at Staples . . .
Staples sells $200 VGC for $6.95 that's almost 3.5% in acquisition cost. How do you make a profit with a card that offers 5% bonus? Unless staples had some discount which they do from time to time. $150K at staples is still lot of BURNING with 200 VGC.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:23 pm

Chase Bank unilaterally shut down all my credit cards and banking accounts yesterday. I offloaded 743k UR points to Hyatt, United and southwest just now. I think what triggered it was the high volume of staples vgc purchases on my ink cards. I was pushing $5k a month on each card. Fortunately I still have Amex cards and citi cards
Did you by chance use any of your chase cards to regularly fund Visa Buxx?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:32 pm

Barclays closed all my cards this month. I was hitting the Travelocity Amex pretty hard, but barely over 1x CL. The Travelocity Amex is the rare Affiliate Amex that gives AUs individual card numbers. So I had multiple AUs each feeding their own Serve cards every month. Also milked any useful Amex Offers including using the Rewards Boost portal when applicable.

Crazy part is the shut down all accounts of anyone who was an AU on my card including spouse and my parents.

$1600+ in points are gone, but I've got their Executive Office working to get them back after an FTC complaint.

Miles per Day has a post on his similar Barclay shutdown as well. My theory is the Buxx and Serve house cleanings happening at the same time are not a coincidence and that there may be collusion between banks leading to shutdowns of accounts that have touched these products.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by AnInfrequentFlyer
Did you by chance use any of your chase cards to regularly fund Visa Buxx?
No, I didn't have TD buxx
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:11 pm

Barclays closed all my cards this month. I was hitting the Travelocity Amex pretty hard, but barely over 1x CL. The Travelocity Amex is the rare Affiliate Amex that gives AUs individual card numbers. So I had multiple AUs each feeding their own Serve cards every month. Also milked any useful Amex Offers including using the Rewards Boost portal when applicable.

Crazy part is the shut down all accounts of anyone who was an AU on my card including spouse and my parents.

$1600+ in points are gone, but I've got their Executive Office working to get them back after an FTC complaint.

Miles per Day has a post on his similar Barclay shutdown as well. My theory is the Buxx and Serve house cleanings happening at the same time are not a coincidence and that there may be collusion between banks leading to shutdowns of accounts that have touched these products.
Definitely something going on. I know 3 separate people who got account closure notices from Barclay dated 1/8.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:54 pm

Time to rethink AUs; at least with BC. I have a min spend promo for $x/month and I spend the exact amount on both cards with one transaction. Maybe I should add a penny next month or a second transaction. It's works out to be a one way tkt to anywhere on the world.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:01 pm

Staples sells $200 VGC for $6.95 that's almost 3.5% in acquisition cost. How do you make a profit with a card that offers 5% bonus? Unless staples had some discount which they do from time to time. $150K at staples is still lot of BURNING with 200 VGC.
It helps if you use the Visa Savings Edge program.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
It helps if you use the Visa Savings Edge program.
Which doesn't work with gift card purchases as of the last time I tried (December).
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, that's true currently, but that hasn't always been the case.

Next, 5 points per dollar and 5% aren't the same thing unless you value URs at 1 cent each.

Finally, there have been many other deals at Staples over the years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.