FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   The 2016 Shutdown Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1737714-2016-shutdown-thread.html)

FreakingFlyer Jan 9, 2016 9:57 am

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

to continue from last episode

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...wn-thread.html

All I can say is

BLUEBIRD!

So far, that is. More to come!

FreakingFlyer Jan 9, 2016 9:59 am

I suppose I could add Buxx and Evolve here, but those are a little OT since the whole program got shutdown, not specific individuals.

PineappleFart Jan 9, 2016 10:10 am

I just got a VIPServe in the mail yesterday. If I go hard to meet minimum spends and that's it, what is the general consensus on meeting a few cards before getting shut down?

silver6054 Jan 9, 2016 11:47 am

Originally Posted by PineappleFart (Post 25990113)
I just got a VIPServe in the mail yesterday. If I go hard to meet minimum spends and that's it, what is the general consensus on meeting a few cards before getting shut down?

I don't see there is much to lose by trying, anything you load you can bill pay with, and it may not last long no matter what you do!

spamman808 Jan 10, 2016 12:12 am

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 25990525)
I don't see there is much to lose by trying, anything you load you can bill pay with, and it may not last long no matter what you do!

Agreed. I'd go for it too. Might make sense not to withdraw right away, so they can't say you're using it to MS. Maybe even pay a bill (not a credit card or anything) or two and use it like a non MSer would before withdrawing to see what happens too. Good luck!

coolblues Jan 10, 2016 1:35 pm

My USBank acct was shutdown. This was due to some cash deposit activity on banking side. I was depositing 3-4k per months (from US Bank Visa buxx cards) and got a call from a banker asking source (in late Oct). I told him the source details and he sounded confused.
Sensing trouble I emptied the account and closed it very next day. Low and behold, got a letter from US Bank (mid dec) that my carlson CC was closed (had only 500 points as I emptied close all points after the third free night benefit was dropped in '15).
No reason was provided and I did not bother to call either. Credit report shows card closed on my request. I wasn't impacted much as I had only one CC with them that I would have closed anyways (one the AF hits)

travelfreaks Jan 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by coolblues (Post 25995492)
My USBank acct was shutdown. This was due to some cash deposit activity on banking side. I was depositing 3-4k per months (from US Bank Visa buxx cards) and got a call from a banker asking source (in late Oct). I told him the source details and he sounded confused.
Sensing trouble I emptied the account and closed it very next day. Low and behold, got a letter from US Bank (mid dec) that my carlson CC was closed (had only 500 points as I emptied close all points after the third free night benefit was dropped in '15).
No reason was provided and I did not bother to call either. Credit report shows card closed on my request. I wasn't impacted much as I had only one CC with them that I would have closed anyways (one the AF hits)

If people continue to poop where they eat they will eventually get ecoli. Anyway, sorry for your loss.:D

Now for my wonderful 2016 thus far...Lost 2 Serves, 1 BB. The same day had my wife's and my Barclay cc's accounts closed. I hope the year get better from here.

OHijAAzi73 Jan 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks (Post 25997106)
If people continue to poop where they eat they will eventually get ecoli. Anyway, sorry for your loss.:D

Now for my wonderful 2016 thus far...Lost 2 Serves, 1 BB. The same day had my wife's and my Barclay cc's accounts closed. I hope the year get better from here.

Reason for Barclay account closures? Volume of MS?

I plan to spend 40k on AA Aviator Silver for the 10k EQM...

coolblues Jan 10, 2016 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks (Post 25997106)

Yeah, I agree that I did mess up but, I was doing this for more than 18 months without any issues. I think what caught their attention was a 10k ACH from my eTrade. I remember getting the call very next day.
I suppose the sudden jump in the activity was a red flag for them

noturbizniss Jan 16, 2016 11:50 pm

Have a new wf checking and CB card. Been hittin gcard hard with just fraud issues. Just had an 8k check show up as NSF into WF from TD bank. It did clear TD that day and im trying to fight it (will get letter from TD, hopefully, saying I had the funds), but if they say no go and close the checking, is it pretty much guaranteed that they will close the CC? If so is that a negative on my CR? IF so I'll just shut it myself soon as i clear out my rewards.
IS there anyone on CC end who can give me an answer about closing it before they actually do close it? or am i screwed?
TIA

Mamibear Jan 17, 2016 7:23 am

Originally Posted by noturbizniss (Post 26030857)
Have a new wf checking and CB card. Been hittin gcard hard with just fraud issues. Just had an 8k check show up as NSF into WF from TD bank. It did clear TD that day and im trying to fight it (will get letter from TD, hopefully, saying I had the funds), but if they say no go and close the checking, is it pretty much guaranteed that they will close the CC? If so is that a negative on my CR? IF so I'll just shut it myself soon as i clear out my rewards.
IS there anyone on CC end who can give me an answer about closing it before they actually do close it? or am i screwed?
TIA

if you have been reported for NSF by WF, make sure you get a Chexsystem report and look for any derogatory remarks on your account. If it's there, the effects may be difficulty to open new bank accounts.

noturbizniss Jan 17, 2016 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 26031807)
if you have been reported for NSF by WF, make sure you get a Chexsystem report and look for any derogatory remarks on your account. If it's there, the effects may be difficulty to open new bank accounts.

yup i will.they said theyr shutting it on the 28th so i will try to call before then and shut it down myself. Even though i have had checking accounts with no issues for years and still have multiple others it could hurt me?

iexaltu Jan 17, 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by noturbizniss (Post 26032363)
yup i will.they said theyr shutting it on the 28th so i will try to call before then and shut it down myself. Even though i have had checking accounts with no issues for years and still have multiple others it could hurt me?

Yes, unfortunately, it could hurt you. Chex Systems does not function like a credit report where the good and the bad balance out to give you a score. The banks only look at derogatory information so watch it closely.

silver6054 Jan 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by iexaltu (Post 26032433)
Yes, unfortunately, it could hurt you. Chex Systems does not function like a credit report where the good and the bad balance out to give you a score. The banks only look at derogatory information so watch it closely.

On the CC side, having it closed by them rather than you doesn't impact the score. On a manual review, it MAY raise a question, but it's fairly common to have cards closed for harmless reasons that it probably won't even do that.

But as iexltu says, Chex Systems is much more of an issue. Is it the bank account they are closing on 28th? I don't know if closing that first can avoid a CHex Systems hit. But check the report shortly after the account is closed.

CWAL Jan 17, 2016 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by noturbizniss (Post 26030857)
TIA

Would you mind sharing how the check "did clear TD that day" but still caused NSF on WF's side?