Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by nittanylion1
My BB is still alive (hubby's, too). I haven't done a single thing with them in 2015 due to buying a house (wanting to protect credit and available cash) and then my favorite WD no longer stocking VGCs. Figured I'd take the year off, hit it hard in 2016.

Here we are... WD has VGCs back in stock and now I'm afraid to use the BB. Dang it. *holds hat in hand*

I miss Amazon Payments.

ETA: In 2015 I just about maxed out every month.
Why are you afraid to use it? If you are going to get shutdown for using it, might as well ride the wave. Otherwise it is just a worthless card in your drawer. For me personally, I am going to finish the load on the last remaining card I have and then wait out the month. On Feb 1 if I am gtg then I will proceed. Being afraid to use it just wastes opportunity imo. Obviously they have some method that triggers it and from the datapoints we have seen it doesn't take much. My friend only loaded 4k total over the past year and was shutdown. Use it before you lose it ^
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by crazy_p.o.w.
Why are you afraid to use it? If you are going to get shutdown for using it, might as well ride the wave. Otherwise it is just a worthless card in your drawer. For me personally, I am going to finish the load on the last remaining card I have and then wait out the month. On Feb 1 if I am gtg then I will proceed. Being afraid to use it just wastes opportunity imo. Obviously they have some method that triggers it and from the datapoints we have seen it doesn't take much. My friend only loaded 4k total over the past year and was shutdown. Use it before you lose it ^
I guess it's the talk about structuring and FR on AmEx cards with the same SSN... maybe pointless worrying?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by nittanylion1
I guess it's the talk about structuring and FR on AmEx cards with the same SSN... maybe pointless worrying?
I would think these are 2 separate divisions that don't intersect. The fact that they don't do a credit check for BB/Serve/RB makes me think that one would not affect the other. In terms of FR, these cards didn't even do an income verification so not sure how they would transfer the responsibility to another product. Not saying they won't but I just don't see it happening. I keep receipts for all transactions I do, so any talk about structuring would be quickly debunked. The fact that they are not actively holding money, but simply asking you to close accounts is telling.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I'm wondering for all of you who got shut down, how much were you MSing with your AMEX CC (ie SPG or PLT cards)? I haven't done very much with my AMEX cards, most if not all of my MSing was with my CSP, Citi AA card or Barclays AA card.. I haven't recieved a letter... Just wondering out loud about this... I also held the money in my BB or Serve account for a couple of days before paying the bill off.
Good point. I know somebody who also wasn't using AMEX for these purposes, but was using other bank cards Citi, etc. and they were not shut down.

But then again, this group might be in "phase 2".
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by mad cow disease
Thoughts on whether this shutdown may trigger FR or other actions on those of us with multiple AMEX accounts? I have a BCP which I have been hitting hard to take maximum advantage of the 6% at supermarkets...
there's no telling what am3x is up to but regarding the BCP, with a cap of $6K that earns 6%, the rest down to 1%, I don't see the point of FR unless they just want to get rid of a customer?! One can hit the max spend in one or two shopping trips.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:37 am

My friend uses her Gold Amex to do $5k a month, on her bluebird card and it did NOT get shut down. That's the only MS she does. So, I think we can keep guessing and guessing and will never know until this dust settles.

Wasn't it the 8th of the month too when Target shut down Red Card loads?

Could the 8th of each month be when the ax falls with Amex? Maybe that's when their accounts update? Who knows?!?! For those of you who still have a working card, load it up before the 8th!

Something will come along, it always does.

Of all things, I'm worried about Amex, in general. They lost Costco, will prob lose SPG AND with the SkyPesos of Delta, their portfolio is weakening...

The only real crown jewel, in my opinion, is their Plt Card, that's about it.

I mean, really, who uses Amex Travelers checks anymore!?! (joking)

Also, my Bluebird, that didn't get shut down, still works, used it yesterday to load at kate.

Originally Posted by pbartp
Good point. I know somebody who also wasn't using AMEX for these purposes, but was using other bank cards Citi, etc. and they were not shut down.

Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
4 cards, no email yet

1 BB, 1 Original Serve, 2 VIP. No emails yet, but I haven't tried to load in past few days. Don't plan to attempt load , til things settle down.

Wondering if I should start putting some $5 to $10 charges on the card, like normal use, or just lay low.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:52 am

So this my first post, and the armageddon brought me in here like many others. In the meantime while the dust settles, I encourage everyone to write AMEX at their address in the email. Ask for a specific redress to your account and to numerate transactions. If AMEX is unwilling to even answer questions over the phone, they should have thousands of letters sent to them demanding specific answers. This takes time and money to answer each one, even more so if a chain of correspondance happens. All the best to you guys.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Diver83
So this my first post, and the armageddon brought me in here like many others. In the meantime while the dust settles, I encourage everyone to write AMEX at their address in the email. Ask for a specific redress to your account and to numerate transactions. If AMEX is unwilling to even answer questions over the phone, they should have thousands of letters sent to them demanding specific answers. This takes time and money to answer each one, even more so if a chain of correspondance happens. All the best to you guys.
And the point of this would be?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Diver83
Seriously? This method lasted years longer than it had any right to. Thank you Amex for all the experiences I have enjoyed that I otherwise wouldn't have and for those still to come. Move on.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by pbartp

I've used BB only to unload those small VGC during OM or Staples promos, and it got shut down yesterday. I used it maybe for $5-10k each session, 3-4x a year at best.

I have the 50k capped OBC card that I MS on to the limit each year, but that's done with MOs, not BB.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
My husband’s Serve hasn’t been shut down yet, even though he used it solely for MS (loading SMGCs and then paying his CC bills). Can’t figure out why. Not sure what to do. Thinking about charging some small regular charges on it for the next few months, a few loads from his bank account, and then maybe put a couple GCs on it in a few months and see what happens?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by zoomgirl
My husband’s Serve hasn’t been shut down yet, even though he used it solely for MS (loading SMGCs and then paying his CC bills). Can’t figure out why. Not sure what to do. Thinking about charging some small regular charges on it for the next few months, a few loads from his bank account, and then maybe put a couple GCs on it in a few months and see what happens?
I am concerned next week may bring the next round of emails.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:04 am

If so, then more of a reason to load it up now!

Originally Posted by beachmiles
I am concerned next week may bring the next round of emails.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
Send Lawyers, Guns, & Money : Warren Zevon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.