Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:37 pm

I setup a BB account right before this purge happened and received my BB card today. Successfully loaded $500 to BB via WM Money Express kiosk (via sunrise bank GC), on my second load of 500 it said an associate would come over to help me, luckily they approved it without issue. I didn't attempt any further loads after this.

As far as I've heard the max is 1999 per day (+15min), is there some new velocity rule in play here or what? Anyone experience something similar?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mike64b
I setup a BB account right before this purge happened and received my BB card today. Successfully loaded $500 to BB via WM Money Express kiosk (via sunrise bank GC), on my second load of 500 it said an associate would come over to help me, luckily they approved it without issue. I didn't attempt any further loads after this.

As far as I've heard the max is 1999 per day (+15min), is there some new velocity rule in play here or what? Anyone experience something similar?
It's possible that someone loaded before you and that you tripped the velocity limit.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by missing_link
It's possible that someone loaded before you and that you tripped the velocity limit.
Ah yes that would make sense, hopefully that's all it is. I'll give it another go tomorrow and report back.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:39 pm

Didn't get an email on 1/4 cards...so tried and loaded yesterday and it still works. Weird as the still-open account is the one that was used the most and maxed out every month, while the other accounts were around $2K/mo.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12
Didn't get an email on 1/4 cards...so tried and loaded yesterday and it still works. Weird as the still-open account is the one that was used the most and maxed out every month, while the other accounts were around $2K/mo.
What's different about those accounts than the one still open. Once you identify that it won't be so weird.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12
I'm pretty sure AMEX just grabbed a random sampling...maybe 75% of cardholders MSing...and sent them the email. Then they bought loads and loads of popcorn, pulled up these theads in their conference room projectors and are having a New Year's Celebration party watching all of us try to "figure them out." I don't doubt it will be long before they pull the plug on the remaining 25%. But maybe they'll do another round and just take a portion of the remaining open accounts for the after party first. I hope to get one more month of loads out of them first. We'll see!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:49 pm

I am sad that this is going away.... Luckily I was super lazy and didn't close my RB accounts until December and opened BB mid December. I will wait out another month to see the general trend. IMO though, major financial institutions like these can easily pull up reports by types of load, amount of loads, or whatever categories they want. That being said, I do believe next month (or whenever their next checkpoint/evaluation is) they will just tighten the screws to weed more people out, hence, the end of BB load-fest.

::single tear rolls down face::
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
What's different about those accounts than the one still open. Once you identify that it won't be so weird.
Nothing really diff..all were used for the same purpose/same trends...like I mentioned earlier, the one still standing was used the most and maxed out while others weren't. Surely they didn't close the other accounts because they only had ~2K/mo whereas the open one had 5K/mo. The ONLY thing I can think of is the one standing is the oldest account and was opened first, so maybe they are working back those closures from most recent accounts.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:16 am

Walmart Bucks

My BB was shut down with the email on Jan 8. WalMart Bucks can still be pushed to the card with Savings Catcher.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just closed my Serve acct. This is the screen. I don't think Amex is sad.

Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:57 am

I had two accounts (one was under me and one under my mom's). Both were loaded pretty consistently (never maxed out though). Mainly used to pay CC bills and rare small purchases. The only difference was that my mom's was also used to pay one of my BF's cc bill and hers was the one that was shut down. She also transferred large amounts to my account.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:57 am

anyone getting those "don't forget to load your BB account emails" after your account was closed?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:08 pm

Just loaded another $1000 (2x500) at the WM money center kiosk to BB, this time went thru without issue - no manager approval required. So it seems to be working as normal, my previous issue must've indeed been caused by someone before also using the machine.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:51 pm

Surviving the BB shutdown?

So I happened to sign up for BB right as these shutdowns happened and thus I had no loads on it. From what I've read, people who used BB to pay their CC bill were targeted. If this is true, would a better strategy be to simply keep your money in BB?

I guess what I'm saying is, for those of us with enough cash to pay off the CC bill, is it a good idea to keep loading BB up for as long as possible (I guess until you're shutdown) and only then transfer all your funds to a linked savings account on BB? Seems like it is a lot more suspicious to have load in / pay out every month.

I'm sure someone has thought of this already but I couldn't find info about it..
thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by mike64b
From what I've read, people who used BB to pay their CC bill were targeted. If this is true, would a better strategy be to simply keep your money in BB?
I never paid my credit card with Bluebird, and I got shut down, so that wasn't necessarily a factor.

I think I was shutdown for routinely loading debit cards, and then immediately withdrawing to my bank account. Very simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.