Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:17 pm

I just know I've never asked most of the questions these people ask, but yet somehow I know the answers. And a lot of it comes before the time MS had its own subforum and there was wikis for every subject possible. If people are so inclined to be forever generous in answering questions, though, so be it.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Meezewho1122
Thank you both for sticking up for me.
I'very long read the blogs here and others, but couldn't seem to find the answer.
Have you ever heard of the website google? There are LOTS of blogs with spoon-feeding on them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+load+serve+at+family+dollar
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
The other day I bought $2k at SM that just installed the Chip reading keypad. I put in the card without showing the clerk and it got approved. I said, "That's it? You don't need to see my ID?" She had a confused look on her face and said, "Oh... I don't know. Let me see your card and ID" (to see that it matched). She would have never asked if I didn't mention it.

So anybody else use the Chip keypad and not have to cross-check card name with ID? If so, then we just need AMEX to make chip GCs (& start doing Cashback again).

Another practical use - with credit cards now cracking down on Authorized Users, it would be nice to be able to use my wife's card. (so how are Chip cards safer than swipe cards anyway?)
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
The other day I bought $2k at SM that just installed the Chip reading keypad. I put in the card without showing the clerk and it got approved. I said, "That's it? You don't need to see my ID?" She had a confused look on her face and said, "Oh... I don't know. Let me see your card and ID" (to see that it matched). She would have never asked if I didn't mention it.

So anybody else use the Chip keypad and not have to cross-check card name with ID? If so, then we just need AMEX to make chip GCs (& start doing Cashback again).

Another practical use - with credit cards now cracking down on Authorized Users, it would be nice to be able to use my wife's card. (so how are Chip cards safer than swipe cards anyway?)
I've never been asked for show ID when using chip cards, domestic and international.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:40 pm

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 6:54 am
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy

Where have you heard that credit cards are cracking down on AUs? I am having no issues. The only people I suspect do are ones who have tons of users for "other" reasons but I doubt adding 1 or 2 people will ever be an issue.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Check your email

Folks are saying that Amex sent out emails shutting down loading Blue Bird and Serve.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer
Folks are saying that Amex sent out emails shutting down loading Blue Bird and Serve.
Yep - until a new MS method similar to Serve emerges, I won't be seeing my friendly Simon Mall reps for a while
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ManImCool
Yep - until a new MS method similar to Serve emerges, I won't be seeing my friendly Simon Mall reps for a while
Short Simon stock.

That will be a new route for MS.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Have you ever heard of the website google? There are LOTS of blogs with spoon-feeding on them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+load+serve+at+family+dollar
Haha!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
The SM receipts print your name. If you use someone else's card on ur receipt and they notice the different name then you could lose privileges. Even if my SO is with me at my SM they want her to pay on a separate transaction and not combine.

You can use ur SOs card anywhere for the most part. It's easier with the same last name. Is there a discussion somewhere about CCs cracking down on AUs? That's the first time I've heard that and have AUs on all SO and my cards. Each one gets a diff name convention to keep track of main acct holder. Even my kiddos are AUs on some cards.

If you can use AP that opens a whole new discussion b/c AP doesn't share private info such as name and receipts prints something like loyal customer.
Yup. Not only is your name gets printed on the receipt, the small POS screen also shows the name after transaction gets approved, so I assume the agent can easily see that on his/her screen as well. Besides, even if the agent may not check the names occasionally, that doesn't mean they would never check it at all. IME, sometimes they explicitly check the name on the receipt, other times they don't seem to bother (but I don't know if they have verified with a quick glance on the screen or not). But do you really want to risk caught using a card with a name other that what is on your ID? I think they keep a blacklist, and you don't want to be on there. Even with Apple Pay, you need to have the card and your ID handy, because the transaction might get declined and the bank may want the agent to check the ID and the card. For me, oddly charging thousands at SM never got declined due to fraud check (whereas sometimes just a single gift card purchase at other retailer would trip up the system.. maybe it's because they know SM is very good at checking ID..), so maybe it will never happen, but again, not worth the risk IMO.

Last edited by kenbks; Jan 9, 2016 at 2:20 am
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
There are lot of people(seniors and their aliases) who just get irritated by seeing the questions and post irrelevant replies and targeting new comers .

Why cant they move on or redirect them to correct threads.

Atleast 1 member is not like this. Thanks
OR read the fourm and do a search, I know that many threads are hundreds and thousands of pages long, but the info is there... I tell people if you want to get into this game, READ the post and educate yourself on the game, not too sure why people don't want to do this. I also tell people to take a whole weekend to read everything...
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Had my local Simon Mall's terminal completely freeze on me. Right when she was totaling it up, it couldn't send the information to the pin pad. She called help desk and we rebooted the terminal a couple of times but they still couldn't communicate. In the end, they determined that they might have to order a new one. She just suspended the transaction though and moved over to the other register to cash me out. (in my mind I was thinking that she should have done this earlier and troubleshooted on her own time LOL). But I really like this cashier so it wasn't a big deal.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:31 am

Took my wife and her new Ink+ business card to the SM I've been going to for 6 months. The CSR's know me there, as well. Tried to buy 3K in VGC, and when using the new chip reading terminal, it just sat there for some time thinking, then spit out some terminal ID error. Manager was called down, who also recognizes me, and tells me they no longer can accept Business CC for personal VGC purchase.
The system is hard-coded for that, and that's why it froze.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
One more data point on the email...

Went and bought 3.5k at my local Simon Mall in ATL, today. Rep knows me well. First thing she says to me is, "I heard y'all got shut down!" There was an email that was sent out to all Simon Info Booth people this morning... I told her I wasn't aware of what she meant. She went on to say that she now knows what we're all doing, and that they call us "Gamers" (I think she meant "Churners") and that AMEX had just shut down our game, per the email. I asked her the reason for the email and was told that it was to reiterate that they would not refund any previously purchased gift cards. Like duh. She also said she was sad because she'd formed a relationship with some of us regulars. Anyway, I told her I wasn't there for the AMEX thing (kinda). But, they're very aware now... as if they weren't before. Not sure what affect this will have on anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.