Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: financialhippie
Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard

Successful Payees:
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check)
Citi Mortgage: Processed 10/7, Sent 10/8, Arrived-Posted 10/15
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by michael_v
I would personally much rather use pay1040.com with 1.87% fee (all cards) rather than mess with Plastiq's check by mail 1.75% (MasterCard only).
+1. Even 2.25% on prop tax I'd rather pay direct.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by frudd38
+1. Even 2.25% on prop tax I'd rather pay direct.
I don't disagree, but why specifically? The security and reliability, I imagine?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by chrisremo
I don't disagree, but why specifically? The security and reliability, I imagine?
Yes, the minimal amount of savings doesn't outweigh the direct transaction and better recourse with the vendor.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:46 am
rev

I refinanced my student loan - my second biggest payment - and now am hving it auto-debited for an APR discount. I really don't want to screw up that discount, but now that puts me in a hole with two signup bonuses I'm looking to hit and I'm not confident I can do it without having those student payments through a CC.

My smallest bill goes to a family member, so I was debating for the next 2-3 months paying them that bill + a few hundred more, then they write me a personal check back for that extra money I sent them.

Would that work? Or too shady?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Saw on Reddit that Plastiq is currently 2% for Mastercardas of today. I'm sure limited time offer. Works out nice for me to make minimum spend on Barclaycard, since I make back more than 2% on the purchase.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Saw on Reddit that Plastiq is currently 2% for Mastercardas of today. I'm sure limited time offer. Works out nice for me to make minimum spend on Barclaycard, since I make back more than 2% on the purchase.
this mentality makes no sense to me.

A+ gives you 2.2% back on redemptions.. so you are coming up 0.2% and that is OK with you?

My MS hovers at around 0.5% total and has been at that threshold for 3-4 years running .. I could NEVER imagine spending 2% to MS ... that's just a waste of money
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
this mentality makes no sense to me.

A+ gives you 2.2% back on redemptions.. so you are coming up 0.2% and that is OK with you?

My MS hovers at around 0.5% total and has been at that threshold for 3-4 years running .. I could NEVER imagine spending 2% to MS ... that's just a waste of money
I wouldn't get out of bed and drive to any stores for 0.2% MS. But I think what the other poster is saying is that with Plastiq, you don't have to change out of your PJs.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:24 pm

has anyone try paying 401k loans with plastiq? would it be worth it to borrow your own money and then pay it back with 5% cb mastercard gc and plastiq. the interest rate in the loan goes back to your account and the best part is your can do it all from your home.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:09 pm

My wife needs to meet minimum spend requirement of $1000. Will she have problems paying our car payment (Ally) if the car account is in my name only? FWIW, my wife's card is under her maiden name.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My wife needs to meet minimum spend requirement of $1000. Will she have problems paying our car payment (Ally) if the car account is in my name only? FWIW, my wife's card is under her maiden name.
I don't believe she will have any problems.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by atricus
has anyone try paying 401k loans with plastiq? would it be worth it to borrow your own money and then pay it back with 5% cb mastercard gc and plastiq. the interest rate in the loan goes back to your account and the best part is your can do it all from your home.
I'm not sure about all employer's 401k plans but most will require early payments to be paid in full so that's not going to limit the size of the loan, there are often limits on how many loans you can have at once and even if they let you open new loans all the time, it will take a while to cycle through one.

If your comany somehow doesn't require payroll deduction for periodic repayments, then keep in mind that you do pay tax on the interest you pay into the account because of the loan.

With 2 to 2.5% fees, it's going to be hard to be worth the hassle let alone the risk of missing investment gains while your money is out.

Where are you getting close to 5% back on mastercard gc anyway? Are you counting activation fees?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:51 pm

my idea was more on the stacking cb. borrow the money let it sit on netspend 5% savings accounts. use citi divident this quarter on drugstore(mastercard or paypal cash) and later on any other offer that might give close to 5% for a payment method that can be converted to plastiq or money order. and as i send payment from plastiq or money orders i repay the credit cards with the netspend accounts. I already tested sending payment in money orders and plastiq and the only rule is if the payment is not the full pay off amount it goes as a normal payment.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:28 am

Has anyone here tried to use the Huntington Voice card on Plastiq? It gets 3% back in a category you select, so I'm wondering if Plastiq payments fall under utilities or something.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Vvatts
I'm not sure about all employer's 401k plans but most will require early payments to be paid in full so that's not going to limit the size of the loan, there are often limits on how many loans you can have at once and even if they let you open new loans all the time, it will take a while to cycle through one.

If your comany somehow doesn't require payroll deduction for periodic repayments, then keep in mind that you do pay tax on the interest you pay into the account because of the loan.

With 2 to 2.5% fees, it's going to be hard to be worth the hassle let alone the risk of missing investment gains while your money is out.

Where are you getting close to 5% back on mastercard gc anyway? Are you counting activation fees?
Plastiq doesn't allow 401K. I also tried a 529 and that was rejected, they said you can't fund any investments.

Are there any services out there that will let this, even if it's a higher amount (2.9 or 3%)?
Old May 4, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by horse9118
Has anyone here tried to use the Huntington Voice card on Plastiq? It gets 3% back in a category you select, so I'm wondering if Plastiq payments fall under utilities or something.
On my amex - Category: Business Services - Other Services

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.