Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: financialhippie
Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard

Successful Payees:
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check)
Citi Mortgage: Processed 10/7, Sent 10/8, Arrived-Posted 10/15
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm thinking of getting AMEX Biz Plat to pay property taxes as well via Plastiq. My tax payments due for Nov/Dec and Feb/Apr are are about $4K each so I wouldn't qualify for the extra 0.5x paying them separately like that. Will it complicate things on the county's side (LA County) if I pay $5K now and $3K+ in the spring?
It might. I tried to make a small payment once (Santa Barbara county) and it got returned as they didn't take partial payments. If you can, you could probably pay the whole thing at once. The extra Shop Small point is only good through 12/31 so you might want to make the second payment before 12/31 anyway. So it'd be a single payment of $8k+, get the extra 0.5x, and an extra point on the whole payment for Shop Small. Plus, more than halfway to the $15k spend for the whole 100k signup bonus.

My second payment isn't due until 4/10, but I'm probably going to make it mid-December, assuming the first payment posts to my property taxes properly.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I don't think there's anything sketchy about Plastiq (not sure about other services). Plastiq is actually one of the preferred suppliers for Amex Canada's Business Gold card (you can choose 3 of these suppliers to earn 2x MR), so they obviously don't have a problem with it.
What are the 3 suppliers?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Stivelio
What are the 3 suppliers?
On the Canadian business gold card you can choose 3 companies from a list of about 25 (including Plastiq) and you earn 2MR points/$ instead of 1 for any purchases at your chosen companies. I don't think the US card has the same set-up.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:15 pm

Just a PSA, you do not need an AMEX business card to be eligible for the 2X points.

I have an AMEX Gold, Platinum, and the Benz Platinum and all three were eligible for the small shops 2X points through Plastiq.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:51 pm

Can anybody comment on CSP + Alliant Credit Union?

I'm getting the potential CA fee warning message... :/
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:38 am

For anyone who might be in a similar situation - I signed up at the end of last month on the MC rent/mortgage promo at 1.75%. I had just converted an AA Plat card to the AT&T Access More, which I wanted to use long-term for this payment, but hadn't received it yet. So I set it up with my Prestige MC for the first month. Just chatted with them today and they were able to switch it from the Prestige to my new AT&T card with the same promo rate for the rest of the scheduled payments.

I hope I am also able to make edits to the payment amount on occasion as my mortgage payment periodically changes due to fluctuations in the escrow withholding amount.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:05 am

I don't see plastiq listed on the amex small business map. Is the statement on the plastiq site really accurate for this amex promo?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
For anyone who might be in a similar situation - I signed up at the end of last month on the MC rent/mortgage promo at 1.75%. I had just converted an AA Plat card to the AT&T Access More, which I wanted to use long-term for this payment, but hadn't received it yet. So I set it up with my Prestige MC for the first month. Just chatted with them today and they were able to switch it from the Prestige to my new AT&T card with the same promo rate for the rest of the scheduled payments.

I hope I am also able to make edits to the payment amount on occasion as my mortgage payment periodically changes due to fluctuations in the escrow withholding amount.
Wish I had known I could convert to that. I converted my AA Plat to a DoubleCash instead.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by penner42
Wish I had known I could convert to that. I converted my AA Plat to a DoubleCash instead.
Doesn't hurt to call and ask... I would give it a shot (or three). Not sure how it works with Citi but with Chase at least it's possible to PC the same card very quickly in succession (e.g. CSP to CS to CFU to CF all within a week or two).
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Stivelio
I don't see plastiq listed on the amex small business map. Is the statement on the plastiq site really accurate for this amex promo?
I can confirm I received 2x MR points for the Small Business promo on my Plastiq charges.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
I can confirm I received 2x MR points for the Small Business promo on my Plastiq charges.
Thanks, when did you place the charge?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:48 pm

I used 11 $100 MC gift cards toward mortgage and Ally car payments late last week. Everything looks like it's going well with appropriate emails, but when I check the Plastiq app, it says "invalid state". I just messaged Plastiq, will wait to hear what they have to say. Have you guys noticed that before?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by djibouti
Thanks, when did you place the charge?
Nov 3.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I used 11 $100 MC gift cards toward mortgage and Ally car payments late last week. Everything looks like it's going well with appropriate emails, but when I check the Plastiq app, it says "invalid state". I just messaged Plastiq, will wait to hear what they have to say. Have you guys noticed that before?
Update-- I contacted Plastiq by text, the "invalid state" is just an IT problem.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum
Made a $5,100 transaction through Plastiq to Suntrust (mortgage provider). Transaction posted on 11/9, and 0.5x additional points was given for transactions over $5k (for Amex Biz Plat) but no 2x Small Business was posted. Maybe it's dead? Any other DP for last week/this week?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.