Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: financialhippie
Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard

Successful Payees:
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check)
Citi Mortgage: Processed 10/7, Sent 10/8, Arrived-Posted 10/15
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
Yes, it does. However, at the same time, Plastiq now charges 1% for debit cards (unless you have recurring payments grandfathered into the 0% fee). Even then, you actually would come out marginally ahead because the 1% fee is charged as a signature purchase, so even that earns 1%.

For example, if you had a $100 bill, you'd pay $101 with the PPBDC. Then you'd earn 1% off of $101, which would be $1.01. You literally earn 0.01% now. Only worth it if you have some very specific goals in mind.
Thanks, the math makes sense. I have a 5% card for drug stores so what this really does is save me a trip to RA or WM. And saves a buck too ($3.95 vs $4.95). That's good enough motivation for me.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Anyone have any experiences using a Capital One card? The search didn't provide any results.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
tried to pay chase, got refunded. Seeing the 1% fee now - dead...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
For example, if you had a $100 bill, you'd pay $101 with the PPBDC. Then you'd earn 1% off of $101, which would be $1.01. You literally earn 0.01% now. Only worth it if you have some very specific goals in mind.
If the backing funding source is PayPal Extras Mastercard, then I think the numbers are slightly better?

Also, paying 1% AS LONG as it get processed as a signature transaction is not bad for my other bank issued debit cards because that qualifies me for high rates on my savings.

The biggest issue is having multiple debit card loads for $1 but 15 times (to meet the bank's requirements)

I wish instead of writing a check, they could ACH the funds.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch
tried to pay chase, got refunded. Seeing the 1% fee now - dead...
Chase has blocked Plastiq. I spent lot of time with Chase fraud dept supervisor to figure way to pay using Chase mastercard. Finally she found out that Plastiq being considered similar to Western Union money transfer is on merchant block list.

I could not use the only mastercard from Chase- IHG Chase.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nishant1
Chase has blocked Plastiq. I spent lot of time with Chase fraud dept supervisor to figure way to pay using Chase mastercard. Finally she found out that Plastiq being considered similar to Western Union money transfer is on merchant block list.

Wait are you saying that it is not possible to use my Chase IHG mastercard to pay my mortgage through Plastiq?! In the past I have successfully used Plastiq to meet spending requirements but the card was issued by Citi.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

Chase has blocked Plastiq for what? I just used a chase ink visa to make a payment via plastiq with no problem.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold

I used Chase BA Visa to pay bills via Plastiq with no problem.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: RR, QS, AS MP, SPG
Anyone have luck paying taxes with a Credit Card to hit Minimum Spend? If so, what cards? We're looking to open a new one that will count it as an eligible purchase.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by CASACW2
Anyone have luck paying taxes with a Credit Card to hit Minimum Spend? If so, what cards? We're looking to open a new one that will count it as an eligible purchase.
I did it with Citi Premier last year.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:31 pm
htj

Here's a data point for anyone paying penfed mortgage. I found it a little confusing b/c they have penfed in their system, but it required a 15 or 16 digit account number, while my mortgage # is only 7 digits.
I added them as a new payee, to be paid by check.

2/5/16 submitted payment on plastiq w/ my chase southwest card
2/9/16 received email that check was sent
2/16/16 payments showed up on penfed's website

there were a few weekends in there and president's day, so not too bad. Since it credited on 2/16, it paid the mortgage payment for march. next payment "due" 4/1.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:03 am

I find Plastiq to be not economical for utility bill payment. For meeting my new credit card spending requirement, I find it beneficial to go to my each of the utility websites and pay bill using credit card by paying additional flat fee between $2 and $3.

If I overpay additional $500, the flat fee does not increase. For a total $550 payment including utility, the rate works out to be less than half a percent.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:13 am

I used my Chase IHG card recently to successfully pay my mortgage through Plastiq. Minimum spending met, hello 80k points
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Looked through this thread before asking...

Does the payee name matter - or can anyone cash the check from Plastiq? FYI - will be using mobile app to cash the check.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by eethan
Looked through this thread before asking...

Does the payee name matter - or can anyone cash the check from Plastiq? FYI - will be using mobile app to cash the check.
You have to write the name of the payee. And I think Plastiq reviews large payments to make sure they go to real billers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.