Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: financialhippie
Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard

Successful Payees:
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check)
Citi Mortgage: Processed 10/7, Sent 10/8, Arrived-Posted 10/15
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Sintaku
AmEx has worked for me however. They have a weird system. Sometimes it doesn't update from processed to mailed. I've never seen an update from mailed to cashed.

Their customer service doesn't seem to have any plans to fix things. They seem to think I got emails for these updates but I didn't. Also it was a huge deal to get confirmation that my money had reached its destination. Took 3 business days for them to look at my email and then I got a we are looking into it email.
Customer service is non-existent at plastiq in my experience. I don't expect a 30 minute turnaround on inquiries but they clearly need to beef things up with email as the only option. Given that most CC's are getting declined now I see them going the way of Evolve.

Last edited by littleconsumer; Sep 8, 2015 at 4:24 am Reason: grammar
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:18 am

I have had no problems using Amex. Receive points. It takes a eek for recipient to receive $ and very late updates from Plastiq.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by chaser123
I have had no problems using Amex. Receive points. It takes a eek for recipient to receive $ and very late updates from Plastiq.
Thanks for response. I'm sending out my rent check early to give it like 2 full weeks to arrive.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Nishant1
Number of payment options with Plastiq is reducing day by day.

1) Any card issued by Chase is a No Go due to Plastiq merchant code blocked by Chase. I spent one hour with Chase Fraud department supervisor who tried to help me go through the transaction but finally admitted that there is nothing that could be done to get it through.

2) All Visa cards are now flagged as Cash advance transactions. This includes Bank of America, US bank and other major issuers

3) Discover is not accepted anyway from the beginning.
Hmmm, interesting. Where did you find out that all Visa's code as cash advance?

I've got Mastercards issued by 3 different banks (Citi, Barclays and BofA), as well as Chase. My first payment used a Chase card a few days before it was nixed. That payment went without a hitch. Today, I"ve got a hold on the Barclays card for a small payment I made today, and a big, time sensitive, payment scheduled for tomorrow.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:38 pm

For AGC do we use the 4 digit in the front or the 3 digit in the back for CVV. It only allows me to enter 3 digits when trying to use amex to pay
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Four in the front.

I had that problem also. Just save it incorrectly and go back.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:31 pm

are you saying to submit payment? and then go back and edit
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spygame
are you saying to submit payment? and then go back and edit
It's been a while, but I think I added the card in the profile area, then used it.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Hmmm, interesting. Where did you find out that all Visa's code as cash advance?.
Mastercard is not a problem. Select pay and then select any merchant with any Visa card which will flag a message in red font that the transaction may be considered as cash advance.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Mariott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Has anyone else received an email from the CEO Eliot Buchanan asking you to send an email to the recipient on his behalf asking if they'd consider accepting electronic payments from Plastiq, and in turn offering to waive the next service charge for any payment made through Plastiq, no matter how high the fee?

I mean, I sent the email to the original recipient, as overall it looks like Plastiq is still kind of starting up as a company and this is a fairly harmless/simple/cheap marketing method on their end to try and drum up future business.

Just curious if anyone else has received something like this from them?

Last edited by swirlsaepi; Sep 10, 2015 at 9:41 am Reason: grammar
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Nishant1
Mastercard is not a problem. Select pay and then select any merchant with any Visa card which will flag a message in red font that the transaction may be considered as cash advance.
But, the MS world runs into a lot of "may be considered [trouble]," and that doesn't necessarily mean that it works out that way.

Granted, I'm brand new to Plastiq, with no data points of my own, but if I wanted to use a Visa and couldn't find data points on how it posts, I'd send a small test payment and see, bank by bank, what happens. There are instances where they post as a cash advance when in "Pending Transactions," and then switch over to a "Purchase" when recorded. Again, this can vary bank by bank, so what works with Citi may not work with Chase or BofA, and vice versa.

For myself, one payment was blocked and my second payment (nearly 10x more) went through. Both on the same MC to a utility company. Go figure. Nonetheless, I'm thrilled with the promo, because we have very high utility bills and some brand spankin' new Mastercards to use.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a heads-up: if you used AGCs and had any issues, you might want to go back and check the balances.

Unexpectedly, Plastiq refunded my fees on some payments I made with AGCs. I was about to chuck them in my filing envelope and I decided to see what the activity looked like. There was about $39 on each sitting there.

The never mentioned a fee refund and I had plenty of correspondence with them. I never asked for one either. Nice touch, but they wouldn't have gotten credit for it had I not accidentally found this.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:46 pm

Hi everyone - for those experiencing issues regarding cash advance, please email [email protected]. This is not an issue we have encountered before and should not be happening; we are committed to investigating and resolving this as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Rebecca
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by rebecca_plastiq
Hi everyone - for those experiencing issues regarding cash advance, please email [email protected]. This is not an issue we have encountered before and should not be happening; we are committed to investigating and resolving this as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Rebecca
Welcome to Flyertalk, Rebecca. Thanks for lending a hand via this thread.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:01 pm

Plastiq customer service sucks.
There is no phone number directly listed on website to resolve the issue when needed. There is no chat available most of the time.

Email replies vary between 1 to 3 days by the time you lose interest.

Chase blocking Plastiq merchant code issue is still not resolved. My majority of Chase cards are not useful for use with Plastiq since Chase is moving away from Mastercard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.