Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( the promo code appears to be working consistently)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $500
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000
•Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max transactions: no limit
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:03 pm

Hi All - Do you know if Citi is one of the banks that needs a CA limit to be able to process first before it ends up as a purchase?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
A new story with citi HH card load.

Earlier this year I got a retention offer from my HH non-annual fee card - spend 1k per statement get 1k points. The first couple of statements worked fine. I reduced CA to 0, loaded my Visa Buxx using that card. After couple of statements only the points towards loading show up, but not the 1k bonus points.
I first noticed this in my Jun statement, made a call, the rep promised me to add bonus but it never showed up.
Jul statement the 1k pts posted as usual.
The 1k pts does not show up again on Aug statement. Gave citi a call, a very rude rep with strong foreign accent kept talking for 20mins telling me "we got an email from our manager, the merchant code does not count towards bonus". When I asked her why by the time I accepted the retention offer nobody told me this specific merchant code, she started to make up the terms and conditions (she just gave me examples which not formal enough to sound like a T&C).

I will probably HUCA couple of days later. But have anyone encountered this problem before? Does citi exclude visa buxx from earning any form of this offer/bonus?
TIA
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mrsmsr

Earlier this year I got a retention offer from my HH non-annual fee card - spend 1k per statement get 1k points. The first couple of statements worked fine. I reduced CA to 0, loaded my Visa Buxx using that card. After couple of statements only the points towards loading show up, but not the 1k bonus points.
I first noticed this in my Jun statement, made a call, the rep promised me to add bonus but it never showed up.
The 1k pts does not show up again on Aug statement. Gave citi a call, a very rude rep with strong foreign accent kept talking for 20mins telling me "we got an email from our manager, the merchant code does not count towards bonus". When I asked her why by the time I accepted the retention offer nobody told me this specific merchant code, she started to make up the terms and conditions (she just gave me examples which not formal enough to sound like a T&C).

I will probably HUCA couple of days later. But have anyone encountered this problem before? Does citi exclude visa buxx from earning any form of this offer/bonus?
TIA
I'm starting to see a trend: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25167841-post3078.html

I'm using AGC to meet a retention spend myself, will report back.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:38 am
jk2

TIA
A rep is correct - the way Citi does is to award points/miles for every purchase (if it is not a CA), but they don't award 'promotional' (like extra 2pts, extra 1K for $1K spending) miles/points if transaction made from financial institutions (amex gc, nwbuxx). Since Citi does show how they code a transaction, it is easy to avoid this thing.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by jk2
A rep is correct - the way Citi does is to award points/miles for every purchase (if it is not a CA), but they don't award 'promotional' (like extra 2pts, extra 1K for $1K spending) miles/points if transaction made from financial institutions (amex gc, nwbuxx). Since Citi does show how they code a transaction, it is easy to avoid this thing.
shi....t

this does not sound good. I have 2 citi cards that I am loading
citi hilton reserve to meet 750$ spending per month for extra 750 points (which would not be earned) and also to meet 10k/ year spedning to earn another one weekend night certificate (would i get this if i spend 6k from loading visa buxx and 4k normal purchase out of 10k)

the other one is citi executive, i have retention for 1500$ spending for 50$ statement credit for 7 months, my spending was gonna be all (or mostly) on visa buxx loading.. would i not get statement credit?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by lkh5650
shi....t

the other one is citi executive, i have retention for 1500$ spending for 50$ statement credit for 7 months, my spending was gonna be all (or mostly) on visa buxx loading.. would i not get statement credit?
I also will be having this question in a few weeks...??
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt

Last edited by Membersince2013; Aug 8, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Hi All - Do you know if Citi is one of the banks that needs a CA limit to be able to process first before it ends up as a purchase?
in my experience, citi doesn't need CA, BofA does.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Originally Posted by jk2
I am very curious about how they post these retention bonuses. It seems like there are someone who actually review every single card. Sometimes they might make mistakes, but this is a totally random thing.
The rep does aware of our visa buxx trick. She asked me "are you getting cash from them". I said no since I really didn't (well if you consider money order as cash, then yes). But this is definitely not the first time that I was given a hard time by these reps.
My 2 cents - I think citi is definitely not as dumb as we thought. They are aware of these tricks like churning and MS. They used to be strict, giving clear rules on what they allow and what they do not allow. Now they become a bit ambiguous - they will make money from these infamous MS hobbies, then decline every benefits they are supposed to offer, then tell you why. Really not a good sign..
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am very curious about how they post these retention bonuses. It seems like there are someone who actually review every single card. Sometimes they might make mistakes, but this is a totally random thing.
The rep does aware of our visa buxx trick. She asked me "are you getting cash from them". I said no since I really didn't (well if you consider money order as cash, then yes). But this is definitely not the first time that I was given a hard time by these reps.
My 2 cents - I think citi is definitely not as dumb as we thought. They are aware of these tricks like churning and MS. They used to be strict, giving clear rules on what they allow and what they do not allow. Now they become a bit ambiguous - they will make money from these infamous MS hobbies, then decline every benefits they are supposed to offer, then tell you why. Really not a good sign..
There are a lot of hints around that Citi is getting wise to our tricks. They're adding the 18 month churning language to cards, denying the second 1% CB on the DoubleCash cards, and not allowing transactions to count for retention bonuses. Clearly, they are looking through our transactions more closely.

I consider Citi to be a very valuable relationship for me (even if it isn't my main one) and I won't take the risk of getting on a blacklist with them.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
I had a retention offer (1K miles for $1K purchases) for my Citi AX card, and one month purchased a $1K AGC. I did not receive the bonus miles, but did receive the base miles. I called and asked, and this was the postal letter I received:

"The purchase to Amex Gifting Products is considered quasi-cash and is not considered a new purchase since it is essentially a banking transaction."

I now do not use my Citi cards for AGC purchases...Buxx loads must be coded similarly.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I"m continuing to run into "Maximum number of reloads reached".

But I don't see what I'm violating.

On this teen account in question, two manual loads since started, 7/5 and 7/23.
On other teens in the same parent account, using the same credit card, last loads were 7/28 and 8/5.

So I should be clear of the 30 day limit on the teen account, and the 7 day limit on credit cards.

So why is it failing?

ETA; yes, NW

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 9, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same problems for me. I assume this is NW.

I think it's just inconsistent and gets manually reset on some random schedule.

I'm basically working on a 40-day rotation to lower my expectations.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:22 pm

I have USBuxx and I encountered those annoying max loads reached even if I know I haven't. Solution I found was loading only $1990 for each teen card so adding $10 fees = $2K is charged on CC for each teen. From then on, it's been smooth sailing for me. I don't know when it changed because a year ago, I could load a full $2K on each card (plus fees) until a few months ago when I kept getting the error message.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by josephstern
Same problems for me. I assume this is NW.

I think it's just inconsistent and gets manually reset on some random schedule.

I'm basically working on a 40-day rotation to lower my expectations.
Thanks.

Yes, NW. I was worried that it might be tracking AU card to the main cardholder (we use both, one for one parent, one for the other), but I realized I did 3 of those (2 on one AU, 1 on the other, different cc #s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.