Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:55 pm

Are you guys loading $2500 at a time? Multiple swipes? 1 Swipe? Fun amounts?

I used to do $497 on my VRs, but curious what people do now. I noticed a lot of people switched it up with VRs or threw in a pack of gum or whatever.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
    Originally Posted by dmo580
    Are you guys loading $2500 at a time? Multiple swipes? 1 Swipe? Fun amounts?

I used to do $497 on my VRs, but curious what people do now. I noticed a lot of people switched it up with VRs or threw in a pack of gum or whatever.
    My wife and I do 3 swipes ($1K/$1K/$500), 3 different cards, twice a month. I don't mind diversifying my point earning, don't feel comfortable with the 3 swipes / 1 $2.5K transaction process given occasional errors (this may change), and makes it simple for my wife.

"This card, $1K today." She likes simple when it comes to MS.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by roki
    You can post payments from whatever sources you want to. It's really simple.

Load $2500, then immediately BP the CC from RB. Repeat once. Time it so it happens mid-statement.
    Thanks Roki, so in this situation the credit card would only be used to load redbird monthly?

I'm only wondering because I've read that using multiple sources to pay the cc off is frowned upon by the cc company.

If I have a $4000 statement for the month and I load $5000 on the redbird using the CC and pay it off immediately so my balance is still $4000 which would be paid via automatic checking account debit making that a total of 2 payment sources.

Does that make any more sense? Thanks
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: National Executive, HH Silver, A-List WN
    Originally Posted by ninim2200
    There are 2 targets in garden grove? which one did you go to?
    Target on Chapman & Harbor.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:01 pm

Been seeing a lot of prepaid cards near the registers at SoCal targets lately, I wonder if it has anything to do with redbird rolling out? Bit of a stretch, maybe, but... never seen them displayed so prominently before.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:47 pm

Hi,

I'm in state of Washington...any idea if Amex is planning to roll out/expand Target Redbird to more states??
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
    Originally Posted by apple1122
    Hi,

I'm in state of Washington...any idea if Amex is planning to roll out/expand Target Redbird to more states??
    This question comes up a lot. I just updated the wiki to answer it.

Added to Wiki:
    Redbird is currently only available in the following states. Nobody knows if/when Target is planning a nationwide roll out (IE when it will be available in other locations); there is much speculation, but nobody knows for sure.

You can check which participating Target locations carry the temp Redbird card for purchase. Although this is the official site, there is much erroneous information. Blame Target and Amex.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:44 pm
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
    Originally Posted by aarongcat
    First off, .... you and people like you.

You already have 3 ....ing cards, why do you need another? This .... is getting ridiculous and this thread has become a n00b fest of asking simple questions that are in the wiki.

/end rant
    Wow, been gone from flyertalk for a couple of days and see what I miss.

@arrogant cat .... i mean aarongcat ...

Try changing your online persona ... your posts on flyertalk are filled with accusation, harshness and negativity. That really isn't what builds community nor contributes to a better understanding of these things.

Unless it isn't clear, this thread on Redcard is located under "Manufactured Spending". So if you have a problem with MS why are you spending time here?

I have contributed to this thread, posted detailed guides (see wiki) on certain aspects early on in the process. We are all 'noobs' to a certain degree unless you have it all figured out and know all the answers?

To dispel your and another persons worries, I agree, I wouldn't get one for someone else without their permission. That is how I would get the ssn and driver licsence photos in case I need them (For my 18 y/o because of lack of credit history we had to submit driver license and ssn photos after redbird account creation was locked). Not sure why you think "use relatives info is pathetic."

I asked the question about address info and phone number because I created our accounts back in October and I have forgotten some of the details of the process. I thought that if someone had got one for a friend/family member that they were utilizing and had recently done it, they could give me a tip since I don't want to unnecessarily bother and inconvenience the relative that already has graciously agreed to let me get one.

I will echo Brugge's helpful comments that just because you don't see the need for more than 10k per month spend for your family, doesn't mean we may not have need for more. We just finished 50+k 3 month spend of which that 45k from three redbirds didn't suffice.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:42 pm

Can someone clarify or add to the wiki the best way to deal with Vanillas? In particular asking for $1000 and auto draining two $500 cards. The terminal automatically defaults to debit, and how do I avoid questions from the cashier when I swipe multiple cards?

P.s. I did a search of the AFT and Redbird threads and did not find the relevant info...thanks!
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by jimbo18
    Can someone clarify or add to the wiki the best way to deal with Vanillas? In particular asking for $1000 and auto draining two $500 cards. The terminal automatically defaults to debit, and how do I avoid questions from the cashier when I swipe multiple cards?

P.s. I did a search of the AFT and Redbird threads and did not find the relevant info...thanks!
    Why don't you load $500, walk around the store, then find another cashier and load the other $500?
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:57 pm

My sister bought 5 Vanilla VGCs at OfficeMax earlier today. Target was right next door, so she then went there to load her RB. Her swipe was declined. She tried swiping 3 times, all were declined. She tried a 2nd GC, again declined. She then went online to check the balance, and the $200 is there. it shows 3 "denied" "delayed redemption" transactions. I told her that this might be due to Vanilla VGC needing a few hours before they can be used properly, but I've never heard of this for Vanilla, only AMEX GC. I remember dealing with something similar with Evolve a year ago; I had to wait until the authorization dropped a week later before I could access the funds again. Does this sound like the case here? She's going to try another one of her Vanilla VGC after a few hours to see if it's just a time issue.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by GamecockFan
    Why don't you load $500, walk around the store, then find another cashier and load the other $500?
    My wife and I go together, so we have $5000 or 10 cards to load, so that would be excessive. But aside from that the cashiers at this target direct me to CS for redbird loading.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
    My sister bought 5 Vanilla VGCs at OfficeMax earlier today. Target was right next door, so she then went there to load her RB. Her swipe was declined. She tried swiping 3 times, all were declined. She tried a 2nd GC, again declined. She then went online to check the balance, and the $200 is there. it shows 3 "denied" "delayed redemption" transactions. I told her that this might be due to Vanilla VGC needing a few hours before they can be used properly, but I've never heard of this for Vanilla, only AMEX GC. I remember dealing with something similar with Evolve a year ago; I had to wait until the authorization dropped a week later before I could access the funds again. Does this sound like the case here? She's going to try another one of her Vanilla VGC after a few hours to see if it's just a time issue.
    I always wait 24 hours since the packaging says funds may not be available for up to 24 hrs.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:01 pm

My wife and I go together, so we have $5000 or 10 cards to load, so that would be excessive. But aside from that the cashiers at this target direct me to CS for redbird loading.
    Try asking for split payment.
    Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
    Can someone clarify or add to the wiki the best way to deal with Vanillas? In particular asking for $1000 and auto draining two $500 cards. The terminal automatically defaults to debit...I
    I just loaded a couple of $500 OVs to RB a couple of days ago. We did a swipe of $500, and loaded. Then repeated that with the next card. The CSR had no questions about it at all. You can cancel and change over to credit, but no need to do that. OVs work with the first 4 numbers you input. Just use the same 4 numbers random every time, so that if it doesn't go thru the first try you can remember which numbers you programmed the GCs with. Easy Peasy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.