Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

Your debit card online through your Account
Cash at a Target Store
Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the cards load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own drivers license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I cant promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
    Originally Posted by cheaptom
    Thanks, everyone.

I figured it would be cool, but wanted to check. I've used bill pay for years from my bank account to payees. And whenever I add a new payee, it asks for the full mailing address. So I was a bit off guard when Redcard just wanted the name of the payee and my account number.
    Just link your bank account to your red card, ach withdraw directly to there and pay from your bank account. Then you don't have to worry about payee stuff
    Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by haloseven
    This will soon be dead. The bow tie has posted it.
    Thought the same thing this morning when i checked my feed. Oh well...
    Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
    You can buy variable GCs at WalMart with a CC, as long as the CC is a Visa? That's weird, but I'm pretty sure both cards I've tried are MC, so you may well be right. Any clue why that's the case?
    The gift card must be a Visa. Probably an oversight by Walmart.
    Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz Presidents
    RedCard Reload - North San Jose - First St. - Hwy 237

I successfully reloaded $4K across 3 cards this evening. 3 cards of $1K each at Guest Services (SPG Biz AMEX), another $1K at the regular register since i was purchasing diapers. (Traveling with the 11 month old). The swipe of $1K on my Chase Sapphire was denied, had an FA that i needed to clear, the transaction then went through.

As a safety precaution for my AMEX cards i set up an alert for purchases over $500, i always receive these after I load to verify that my charge went through. A nice little reminder before i leave the store.
    Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
    Originally Posted by dlandz
    Just link your bank account to your red card, ach withdraw directly to there and pay from your bank account. Then you don't have to worry about payee stuff
    Some of us are of the opinion that withdrawal to your checking account and/or ATM withdrawals are likely to be seen as red flags if/when a shutdown fever hits RB. This can be seen as violating the T&cs provisions against using RB to give yourself a cash advance.

My understanding is that Bill Pay is seen as more safe than either of those two.

My $.02.
    Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by gloobnib
    Some of us are of the opinion that withdrawal to your checking account and/or ATM withdrawals are likely to be seen as red flags if/when a shutdown fever hits RB. This can be seen as violating the T&cs provisions against using RB to give yourself a cash advance.

My understanding is that Bill Pay is seen as more safe than either of those two.

My $.02.
    Not to mention it could be mistaken for money laundering if someone doesn't know why you're doing it.
    Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by bonobobob
    re: the $1000 per transaction load limit. Can i use the same CC 3 times in one day (e.g., 1k swipe, 1k swipe, and $500 swipe)? or is a "transaction" considered 1 originating card?

thanks.
    Like others said, the challenge is to do $1000 charge back to back without FA. Other options are

- get a personal and business version of the miles/point card you are interested
    - add yourself as a AU in your spouse's card.
    Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by gloobnib

My $.02.
    Had no issues for a year+ of bluebird doing exactly the same thing. They don't put so much resource into these prepaid cards..Target probably gets to count these as transactions to pad their sales numbers while Amex gains a good relationship and pads their numbers as well
    I know you all want to be safe, but I'm happy sticking to electronic withdrawals.
    Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by stevester
    Like others said, the challenge is to do $1000 charge back to back without FA. Other options are

- get a personal and business version of the miles/point card you are interested
    - add yourself as a AU in your spouse's card.
    Just make sure you get a text or whatever for fraud alert so it is handled in seconds
    Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
    Answering my own question. Tried again today. Different store, different state, different CC, different type of GC. Exact same answer - Tender not allowed, and "you can't buy credit with credit."

At this point, I won't be trying again unless somebody knows a secret that I'm missing.
    Not sure what states those WM Supercenters you've tried that won't allow CCs for GCs but if you go to TX,OK,AR,TN, MO, most WMs and the Neighborhood Markets there allow CCs to buy GCs except for random cashiers who will tell you no but when you try a different one and cashier just allows register to do its thing, CCs go through as payment for GCs.
    Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by dlandz
    Target probably gets to count these as transactions to pad their sales numbers
    No. Target gets to count Redcard transactions as sales when Redcard is used to pay for merchandise. More precisely, Target has revenue when merchandise is sold, regardless of the payment method.

Last edited by LWT3; Mar 14, 2015 at 7:51 am
    Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:52 am

Fml. Nobody make the same mistake I did. Never reload Redcard in Miami when the guest service people have mediocre english.

Tried to do my normal routine that I do in other states. First of all she can't even read what my last 4 of my cc is and kept typing in something else. Then I corrected. She grabbed my card and swiped after I swiped already. And then put in my last 4 as amount as the amount to load. And then who knows what and I was on the phone with chase to make sure charges went through according to chase and it did for a 2 digit amount (e.g. 65.73). I told the target lady to void cuz at this point it's clear this is not gonna go down well. She says she did but no void receipt. Chase says the 2 digit amount pending. Will this resolve or did I just lose that money? Glad it's not 4 figures if the latter....
    Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:17 am

For the past 2 months, i've been loading up my Prepaid redcard using SPG Amex card and Delta Amex card.

I noticed today i'm not getting SPG points or Delta Miles credited to my SPG/Delta account for these loads.

Is it due to Amex to Amex load?
    Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by direstraits88
    For the past 2 months, i've been loading up my Prepaid redcard using SPG Amex card and Delta Amex card.

I noticed today i'm not getting SPG points or Delta Miles credited to my SPG/Delta account for these loads.

Is it due to Amex to Amex load?
    I definitely got SPG points for my last statement in early March. You may want to double check.
    Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:38 am

New to me: receieved an email the other day about my monthly RedCard statement - hadn't received one before (but receive load/BP confirms almost instantly) for a statement, but logged in, and saw last 3 statements (Opened in November) there - interesting, I like the statements - prompts me at least monthly to reconcile my spreadsheet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.