Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:24 am
    Suspended

Originally Posted by desertdwelleraz
    Loaded to my registered temp RB card last night, and the cashier had me show 2 forms of picture ID. I showed her my DL and a credit card with my picture, and she seemed to be OK with that. Very strange though since the temp RB doesn't even have a name on it.
    2 forms? Guess I need to start carrying my passport around.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
    Originally Posted by desertdwelleraz
    Loaded to my registered temp RB card last night, and the cashier had me show 2 forms of picture ID. I showed her my DL and a credit card with my picture, and she seemed to be OK with that. Very strange though since the temp RB doesn't even have a name on it.
    Glad my Target CSRs don't ask for that. I don't have an ID with my picture and my wife's name on it. And she very much wants me to do her loading for her.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
    Originally Posted by Brugge

For the first few loads to a new cc, even if you have a long history with a bank with different ccs, bringing your cell phone along to clear FAs right in the store is a must. And make sure you have your cell # attached to your account, and have authorized the bank to contact you that way.
    This is very important. Sign up for text/app/e-mail alerts, and make sure the contact number is your mobile phone. I had no fewer than 5 different FA notices one time when I tried to use two different cards at a grocery store. When you establish a cadence of loading $2500, especially at the same store, over and over again I think intelligent FA algorithms don't blink after awhile.

Just yesterday I attempted to load at a Target near work - new loading location for me - and Chase didn't initially approve the purchase. Within a few seconds I replied 1 to the text message while the cashier still had the card in hand. The second $2500 purchase to load my wife's RB went through without another FA. Knowing how to handle a FA gracefully prevents fumbling around and raising suspicion. If you approach them almost expecting them to happen and knowing exactly how to resolve them without skipping a beat, it potentially avoids future problems while loading.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
    No need. Just don't abuse the system and your transaction will go through.
    Why no need? What if it says don't allow TMM1982 to load? What if it says to check ID to prevent CC fraud and team members read it as don't load with CC to prevent CC fraud? What if it has your picture with devil horns on it?

Really there's no reason why you shouldn't want more information.

What is considered abusing the system? Is loading $10 with a CC okay? What about $1000? What about $2500, but in separate transactions? What about $2500 in the same transaction?

There are a million scenarios that you can play out with this, and what it comes down to is what information has been distributed to team members in order to judge the reaction redbird has received at corporate and how they are trying to fine tune the loading process. This may be bad (limited/eliminating CC loads) or this may be good (helping to prevent bugs/errors/missing funds from CC loads), but without the knowledge of what is being said we've got no way of determining which way the cards are falling.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:45 am
    Suspended

Originally Posted by nrdk
    Why no need? What if it says don't allow TMM1982 to load? What if it says to check ID to prevent CC fraud and team members read it as don't load with CC to prevent CC fraud? What if it has your picture with devil horns on it?

Really there's no reason why you shouldn't want more information.

What is considered abusing the system? Is loading $10 with a CC okay? What about $1000? What about $2500, but in separate transactions? What about $2500 in the same transaction?

There are a million scenarios that you can play out with this, and what it comes down to is what information has been distributed to team members in order to judge the reaction redbird has received at corporate and how they are trying to fine tune the loading process. This may be bad (limited/eliminating CC loads) or this may be good (helping to prevent bugs/errors/missing funds from CC loads), but without the knowledge of what is being said we've got no way of determining which way the cards are falling.
    1) The memo was for internal use so don't plan on seeing it inserted into your USA Today Sunday paper.

2) There is no need because there is no need. Be normal and follow normal protocol. Most normal people aren't pumping $2,500 onto prepaid cards, back to back days, on multiple cards.

3) ID checks haven't occurred regularly yet so no need to worry about it. When that is enforced, you will start to see people posting about it on here. Until then, continue on as normal. And if ID's are enforced, then you load 1 RB with your name which will give you 5k per month, end of story.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:48 am

2 forms? Guess I need to start carrying my passport around.
    Seriously. I am sure the CSR must have noted the confused and horrified look on my face as I dug around in my wallet trying to find something else my picture on it. It seemed like she was uncomfortable with the process and just was being as cautious as possible, but I have no idea where she got that guidance.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
    1) And if ID's are enforced, then you load 1 RB with your name which will give you 5k per month, end of story.
    Or just drag wifey there with you
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:06 am
    Suspended

Originally Posted by Hecta
    Or just drag wifey there with you
    Unless she doesn't know about the card, lol. ^
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:10 am

Just loaded at Tanforan in San Bruno, CA. The cashier was befuddled and called the service desk cashier, who was also befuddled. We got it loaded. High 5's all around. They said they had never seen them before and asked where I got it. "Out of state"
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:20 am

BP question. I paid rent by sending a check through BP. Will I get an email when the check has been cashed? And in the future, will I be able to view the images of the deposited checks?
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:21 am

MSP Data Point

Loaded on a CC at lunch without issue. Since I can walk there at lunch, I only do $1k per visit.

Tested out the ATM for no fee withdrawals. Worked just fine.

And somewhere up thread someone posted a list from VISA to show merchant code. I tried the one Target that was listed a grocery, but my grocery bonus did not post. YMMV.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:29 am

Unable to do $1000/1000/500 load in Chicago today.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:34 am

1) The memo was for internal use so don't plan on seeing it inserted into your USA Today Sunday paper.

2) There is no need because there is no need. Be normal and follow normal protocol. Most normal people aren't pumping $2,500 onto prepaid cards, back to back days, on multiple cards.

3) ID checks haven't occurred regularly yet so no need to worry about it. When that is enforced, you will start to see people posting about it on here. Until then, continue on as normal. And if ID's are enforced, then you load 1 RB with your name which will give you 5k per month, end of story.
    Did you really just tell MSers to "be normal"?

You aren't being normal either, churning credit cards for sign up bonuses isn't normal, getting prepaid cards just so you can manufacture spending on said credit cards for bonus points isn't normal, buying RL packs or GCs with credit cards just to liquidate them ASAP isn't normal.

Not a single person reading this forum is "normal". Kudos on the useless advice.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:35 am

Just loaded at lunch and called in pre-auth for my Citi AA, asked for around $1000 at Target. CSR then said "Wow! The last call I had also wanted to preauthorize Target for $1000. What a coincidence!"

"Heh Heh yeah.. how strange..."
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:37 am

Had exactly same issue in San Jose.

Still have two Serve cards with Isis. If Target close the credit card funding, Serve will be a better card. But now, Target is much more easy...
    Originally Posted by FindAWay
    This morning, I couldn't do a single $2,500 payment on a $1k + $1k + $500 load. When trying to add a second $1,000, the register gave an error with something like "no more can be loaded to this prepaid product during this transaction."

I had no difficulties with 3 separate loads of $1k, $1k, and $500.

This was with a cashier with whom I've done dozens of AFT & RB loads (we engaged in small talk about her family while figuring it out); so, it was definitely not cashier error.

This may affect AFTs too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.