FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

bigugly Mar 3, 15 7:38 am


Originally Posted by Beetlesauce (Post 24443860)
So, I've never used Reloadit before and recently bought a $25 pack with a credit card to try out and load to my Amex Serve account. Completed successfully. Although heart skipped a bit when I added $25 to my $22.10 Serve balance and Reloadit said "your prepaid card was successfully loaded and the new balance is $4,710.00. Really? I'll take that. Turns out it was actually $47.10 after I checked. Programming error on reloadit's part, I guess.

As long as I can purchase the reloadit cards with a credit card, it looks like this will be my go to method now since it allows up to $5,000 cash load per month. This is in addition to the CC online load. Took 15 secs to load once I got home and instant verification on Amex Serve. No need to deal with Walmart or other VGC loads.

Any Reloadit pitfalls to watch out for?

Buying RI is much more YMMV than buying VGC, you will find this out soon. Reloadit is actually supposed to be a cash transaction, but some stores do not yet hard code this in POS. Most managers and front line supervisors will stop you from using CC. You'll still wind up buying some VGC to max your serve, probably.

Blackaces88 Mar 3, 15 9:00 am

Okay, I'm stuck? I understand attaching a cc to my Serve account to add funds. But, adding funds via VGC, how is that done? I thought the name has to be on the debit card to use? I have a Tmobile Prepaid Debit Card enroute in the next few days, should I wait to use that? Or am I missing something?

hamokmonky Mar 3, 15 9:16 am


Originally Posted by Blackaces88 (Post 24446466)
Okay, I'm stuck? I understand attaching a cc to my Serve account to add funds. But, adding funds via VGC, how is that done? I thought the name has to be on the debit card to use? I have a Tmobile Prepaid Debit Card enroute in the next few days, should I wait to use that? Or am I missing something?

VGC cannot be used online. Only at stores and then it is YMMV whether the cashier checks or not.

nomar116 Mar 3, 15 12:09 pm

I tried to add money to my Serve account for the first time. I am using a Chase Ritz Carlton Rewards card. Chase declined the initial attempt. When I called in the representative alerted me that the transaction was being handled as a Cash Advance.

The transfer did not go through because my credit/cash advance limits were set very low so the transaction was declined. I raised the limits so I can get the transaction to go through but now I pause for fear Chase will charge cash advance fees.

Any help?

knowledgeispower Mar 3, 15 12:15 pm


Originally Posted by nomar116 (Post 24447726)
I tried to add money to my Serve account for the first time. I am using a Chase Ritz Carlton Rewards card. Chase declined the initial attempt. When I called in the representative alerted me that the transaction was being handled as a Cash Advance.

The transfer did not go through because my credit/cash advance limits were set very low so the transaction was declined. I raised the limits so I can get the transaction to go through but now I pause for fear Chase will charge cash advance fees.

Any help?

Did you read the Wiki? Chase codes all Serve transactions as a Cash Advance but they post as a normal transaction. This started happening since October and it still works. So for the time being, you need a cash advance limit to make the transaction occur, but it should post as a purchase.

nomar116 Mar 3, 15 12:24 pm


Originally Posted by knowledgeispower (Post 24447759)
Did you read the Wiki? Chase codes all Serve transactions as a Cash Advance but they post as a normal transaction. This started happening since October and it still works. So for the time being, you need a cash advance limit to make the transaction occur, but it should post as a purchase.

I thought I read the WIKI but a search cleared this up. Nevertheless thank you for your quick response. I'm back on track. Sorry for the stupid question.

VegasGambler Mar 3, 15 12:47 pm


Originally Posted by Lumpylump76 (Post 24445658)
Depositing 10k cash regularly into a bank account is asking to be investigated for Money Laundering.

That is nonsense. I deposit and withdraw more than that on a regular basis. Tons of CTRs, I'm sure. No one cares.

VegasGambler Mar 3, 15 12:51 pm


Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 24445120)
What's the maximum you can withdraw to a checking account from serve? Was hoping to load 5K from 200 VGCs, another $1K from CC loads, and then $2K + $2K from two other serve accounts. Withdraw 10K out to WF bank account. Any idea? More Less?

Remember that you have a $150k annual withdrawal limit and $100k deposit limit..

Why are you combining funds from other Serve accounts? I don't see what that gets you.

benosufan Mar 3, 15 2:39 pm

Softcard will shut down
 
Softcard has already told us they will shut the app down in the coming weeks. If we want to continue using tap to pay with android phones we will have to use google wallet. I've been using the softcard app to get free bottles of coke by loading the mycokerewards loyalty card. I guess I can just do it with google wallet. But more important is what you stated....will our Serve load limit with CC change? That has yet to be determined.

https://www.gosoftcard.com/faq.html
What does the deal mean for Softcard users?
For now, the Softcard app will continue to work. Users can continue to tap to pay, redeem offers and apply loyalty at more than 275,000 locations across the U.S. Google has acquired some technology and intellectual property from Softcard and we encourage our Android users to download Google Wallet. In the near future, the Softcard app will shut down and all wallets will be terminated. A specific termination date will be provided soon.


Originally Posted by mediator (Post 24444161)
With the upcoming Google take over, will Serve abolish the extra Softcard load limit?


MrDioji Mar 3, 15 5:48 pm


Originally Posted by benosufan (Post 24448575)
Softcard has already told us they will shut the app down in the coming weeks. If we want to continue using tap to pay with android phones we will have to use google wallet. I've been using the softcard app to get free bottles of coke by loading the mycokerewards loyalty card. I guess I can just do it with google wallet. But more important is what you stated....will our Serve load limit with CC change? That has yet to be determined.

https://www.gosoftcard.com/faq.html
What does the deal mean for Softcard users?
For now, the Softcard app will continue to work. Users can continue to tap to pay, redeem offers and apply loyalty at more than 275,000 locations across the U.S. Google has acquired some technology and intellectual property from Softcard and we encourage our Android users to download Google Wallet. In the near future, the Softcard app will shut down and all wallets will be terminated. A specific termination date will be provided soon.

My (educated/uneducated) guess is that new softserve accounts will not be able to be opened with the higher limits, but that existing accounts will retain the higher limits. I make this conjecture based on the fact (I believe...) that even if you no longer have a Softcard account on your phone, you still retain the limits. This would be no different in my opinion

knowledgeispower Mar 3, 15 8:09 pm


Originally Posted by MrDioji (Post 24449494)
My (educated/uneducated) guess is that new softserve accounts will not be able to be opened with the higher limits, but that existing accounts will retain the higher limits. I make this conjecture based on the fact (I believe...) that even if you no longer have a Softcard account on your phone, you still retain the limits. This would be no different in my opinion

I'm thinking the same thing. The existence Softcard was never tied to the limits as the limits were tied to the offer when you signed up. This is why many of us who had opened a Serve account before doing so through Softcard's offer could not upgrade our limits, we had to close the account and open a new Serve account. Ironically the limits listed on our accounts still say $1000/month $200/day which makes me thing our increased limits are a backend thing that is likely not to change.

sam_goh Mar 3, 15 9:14 pm


Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 24447968)
Remember that you have a $150k annual withdrawal limit and $100k deposit limit..

Why are you combining funds from other Serve accounts? I don't see what that gets you.

I'm trying to move MS capital into WF via serve withdrawl to checking. There are no local WF branches and mobile deposit limits are extremely low.

washeelers747 Mar 4, 15 5:44 am

Work fine at DC area WM. MC employee pulled up money order form books after I ask for 2nd 2x500 load. I want to laugh but of course, I said no thanks and left nicely. Start to think its not worth the hassle (my WM don't have kate).

Drew777 Mar 4, 15 7:48 am

What cards do you load Serve with?
 
Just got a Serve card and have been trying to research which cards charge cash advance fees, which still give points, etc for loading Serve. However, it seems like this changes frequently and it's hard to find a list that's up to date. What cards are you able to successfully load your Serve card with online, preferably recently?

Of the cards I have, I believe I can use these without CA fees and still earn points (unless things have changed recently):
Chase British Airways
Chase Hyatt
Barclays US Airways

I also have the SPG AmEx, and am not sure about this one. I know AmEx typically doesn't give points for loading Serve, but I have read that this doesn't always apply to their cobranded cards and have heard reports of people getting points from loading their Serve with their SPG card.

I plan to try the British Airways card first. I sent Chase a secure message to lower my cash advance limit to $0 if possible just to be safe. I have heard they will do this if requested. Sorry if this topic has been addressed recently, I tried searching and could not find anything that has been updated lately relating to using particular cards with Serve.


EDIT: Sorry, just found the answer to my question... Well, except the SPG part, haven't heard whether or not it gives points for Serve from anyone who actually tried it.

pwned Mar 4, 15 8:25 am


Originally Posted by Beetlesauce (Post 24443860)
So, I've never used Reloadit before and recently bought a $25 pack with a credit card to try out and load to my Amex Serve account. Completed successfully. Although heart skipped a bit when I added $25 to my $22.10 Serve balance and Reloadit said "your prepaid card was successfully loaded and the new balance is $4,710.00. Really? I'll take that. Turns out it was actually $47.10 after I checked. Programming error on reloadit's part, I guess.

As long as I can purchase the reloadit cards with a credit card, it looks like this will be my go to method now since it allows up to $5,000 cash load per month. This is in addition to the CC online load. Took 15 secs to load once I got home and instant verification on Amex Serve. No need to deal with Walmart or other VGC loads.

Any Reloadit pitfalls to watch out for?

I have been buying RL's mainly to use them for my Tmo prepaid. But I had extra capacity for Serve cash loads remaining last month... The RL balances are hilarious (this is for a load of $500):

http://i.imgur.com/qOEGHhz.png

bevoinva Mar 4, 15 12:18 pm


Originally Posted by Drew777 (Post 24452236)
I sent Chase a secure message to lower my cash advance limit to $0 if possible just to be safe. I have heard they will do this if requested. Sorry if this topic has been addressed recently, I tried searching and could not find anything that has been updated lately relating to using particular cards with Serve.


As per wiki:


Visa cards transact as a cash advance and, therefore, require available CA limit; although most cards post as a purchase.

In other words, you just just disabled your Chase card from working. Has to have available case advance in order to load.

Drew777 Mar 4, 15 1:07 pm


Originally Posted by bevoinva (Post 24454071)
As per wiki:



In other words, you just just disabled your Chase card from working. Has to have available case advance in order to load.

Sorry, I actually read that after I posted. I sent them another secure message asking them to disregard the first. They responded and said they would leave cash advance as is. Thanks.

llbad Mar 4, 15 3:17 pm

Softcard is being shut down. How does this affect serve loads???

sbft77 Mar 4, 15 3:28 pm

Could someone who loaded online from a Chase Visa CC in March confirm whether it still posts as purchase (e.g., the cash advance available amount goes back up)?

(just being cautious since it's a new month (though, the previous change didn't happen exactly on a month boundary), and someone posted that a Chase CSR said it was going to change soon, though probably they didn't know what they're talking about)

Does anyone know why it behaves this way (looking like a cash advance initially but posting as a purchase)? I guess one explanation is that it lets them limit the amount (since cash advance limit is usually lower than purchase limit), without pissing off customers as much as if they posted it as cash advance.

all168 Mar 4, 15 3:49 pm

Did anyone get this email? or just me?



Important update that will impact your Softcard app

We are pleased to let you know that Google has acquired technology from Softcard to power the next generation of mobile wallets.

What does that mean for you? As of 3/31 your Softcard app will no longer work. You can continue to use the Softcard app until 3/31. After that your Account will be closed.

To keep using a digital wallet app download Google Wallet now.

Sincerely,

The Softcard Team

Lumpylump76 Mar 4, 15 4:30 pm


Originally Posted by sbft77 (Post 24455294)
Could someone who loaded online from a Chase Visa CC in March confirm whether it still posts as purchase (e.g., the cash advance available amount goes back up)?

(just being cautious since it's a new month (though, the previous change didn't happen exactly on a month boundary), and someone posted that a Chase CSR said it was going to change soon, though probably they didn't know what they're talking about)

Does anyone know why it behaves this way (looking like a cash advance initially but posting as a purchase)? I guess one explanation is that it lets them limit the amount (since cash advance limit is usually lower than purchase limit), without pissing off customers as much as if they posted it as cash advance.

Yes, still posts as purchase. Chase UA MP Visa.

Preacher7 Mar 4, 15 5:17 pm

Re: Chase loads posting as CA.

I'll chime in too. I was concerned about this, but just threw caution to the wind and started loading on the 1st anyway. 6 loads have posted on 3 different Serve accounts and all the Chase loads are coding as purchases. That's for 2 Sapphire Preferreds and 1 Ritz-Carlton. So at least for now, it looks like it's game on for Chase. Only one more day to go and this month of loading will be history!

Beetlesauce Mar 4, 15 5:41 pm


Originally Posted by bigugly (Post 24446034)
Buying RI is much more YMMV than buying VGC, you will find this out soon. Reloadit is actually supposed to be a cash transaction, but some stores do not yet hard code this in POS. Most managers and front line supervisors will stop you from using CC. You'll still wind up buying some VGC to max your serve, probably.

Quite right. Went back to same store to buy ReloadIT with my groceries and told cash only. Guess the last cashier was untrained or just didn't know. Oh well, VGC it will be then.

dsauch Mar 4, 15 6:23 pm


Originally Posted by all168 (Post 24455431)
Did anyone get this email? or just me?

just you

xiaoming1970 Mar 4, 15 6:37 pm


Originally Posted by all168 (Post 24455431)
Did anyone get this email? or just me?



Important update that will impact your Softcard app

We are pleased to let you know that Google has acquired technology from Softcard to power the next generation of mobile wallets.

What does that mean for you? As of 3/31 your Softcard app will no longer work. You can continue to use the Softcard app until 3/31. After that your Account will be closed.

To keep using a digital wallet app download Google Wallet now.

Sincerely,

The Softcard Team

I got the same email.

Blackaces88 Mar 4, 15 6:51 pm


Originally Posted by xiaoming1970 (Post 24456152)
I got the same email.

I just got this email. Looks like Softcard is done?

ZzzzX Mar 4, 15 6:55 pm


Originally Posted by all168 (Post 24455431)
Did anyone get this email? or just me?



Important update that will impact your Softcard app

We are pleased to let you know that Google has acquired technology from Softcard to power the next generation of mobile wallets.

What does that mean for you? As of 3/31 your Softcard app will no longer work. You can continue to use the Softcard app until 3/31. After that your Account will be closed.

To keep using a digital wallet app download Google Wallet now.

Sincerely,

The Softcard Team

I haven't received it.

ericdabbs Mar 4, 15 7:42 pm


Originally Posted by Blackaces88 (Post 24456204)
I just got this email. Looks like Softcard is done?

Yes Softcard as an independent company is done. It has been acquired by Google and I expect some elements of Softcard to be integrated into Google Wallet. The big question is will Amex still allowed the higher limits of Soft Serve to remain intact once the transition is complete. Also will Amex still allow Soft Serve signups at this point given that Softcard will be gone.

VegasGambler Mar 4, 15 7:51 pm


Originally Posted by Drew777 (Post 24452236)
Just got a Serve card and have been trying to research which cards charge cash advance fees, which still give points, etc for loading Serve. However, it seems like this changes frequently and it's hard to find a list that's up to date. What cards are you able to successfully load your Serve card with online, preferably recently?

Of the cards I have, I believe I can use these without CA fees and still earn points (unless things have changed recently):
Chase British Airways
Chase Hyatt
Barclays US Airways

I also have the SPG AmEx, and am not sure about this one. I know AmEx typically doesn't give points for loading Serve, but I have read that this doesn't always apply to their cobranded cards and have heard reports of people getting points from loading their Serve with their SPG card.

I plan to try the British Airways card first. I sent Chase a secure message to lower my cash advance limit to $0 if possible just to be safe. I have heard they will do this if requested. Sorry if this topic has been addressed recently, I tried searching and could not find anything that has been updated lately relating to using particular cards with Serve.


EDIT: Sorry, just found the answer to my question... Well, except the SPG part, haven't heard whether or not it gives points for Serve from anyone who actually tried it.

If the wiki is out of date please update it. Same with it being incomplete (ie, if you find information about a card that's not listed).

In particular, if anyone has tried a Visa from Comenity (I have the VX Visa) please update the wiki accordingly. I am using the US Airways Barclaycard for now (during the 1.5x miles promo) but I plan to switch to my VX Visa after the promo. If no one has tried it by then, I'll be the guinea pig and report my results here (that's not for a few months, though)

VegasGambler Mar 4, 15 7:55 pm


Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 24455820)
Re: Chase loads posting as CA.

I'll chime in too. I was concerned about this, but just threw caution to the wind and started loading on the 1st anyway. 6 loads have posted on 3 different Serve accounts and all the Chase loads are coding as purchases. That's for 2 Sapphire Preferreds and 1 Ritz-Carlton. So at least for now, it looks like it's game on for Chase. Only one more day to go and this month of loading will be history!

How do you have more than one Serve account? How many can you have in the same name, with the same SS#? Should this info be added to the wiki?

ericdabbs Mar 4, 15 7:58 pm


Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 24456439)
If the wiki is out of date please update it. Same with it being incomplete (ie, if you find information about a card that's not listed).

In particular, if anyone has tried a Visa from Comenity (I have the VX Visa) please update the wiki accordingly. I am using the US Airways Barclaycard for now (during the 1.5x miles promo) but I plan to switch to my VX Visa after the promo. If no one has tried it by then, I'll be the guinea pig and report my results here (that's not for a few months, though)

The wiki shouldn't be specific on the actual cards that work and don't work for online CC load thus why it is written the way it is written currently for obvious reasons. The wiki provides guidelines on CCs that work and don't work. If you have questions about a specific card that just post in the thread.

VegasGambler Mar 4, 15 8:01 pm


Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 24456461)
The wiki shouldn't be specific on the actual cards that work and don't work for online CC load thus why it is written the way it is written currently for obvious reasons. The wiki provides guidelines on CCs that work and don't work. If you have questions about a specific card that just post in the thread.

I understand that. I think it's organized well.

My point is that if it's wrong, it should be changed (ie, if it's no longer true that Citi MCs post as purchases, the wiki should reflect that). And, Comenity is not listed at all (not surprising, as they are a small bank), but I think that it's worth listing them if anyone has the info.

yugi Mar 4, 15 8:08 pm

2 CSP loads posted as purchases, earned points, Barclays Visa also earned points.

Drew777 Mar 5, 15 5:52 am


Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 24456449)
How do you have more than one Serve account? How many can you have in the same name, with the same SS#? Should this info be added to the wiki?

I think people that have multiple accounts typically just use the SSN of a family member. I don't think there is any way to have multiple accounts under the same SSN.

Drew777 Mar 5, 15 5:55 am


Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 24456472)
I understand that. I think it's organized well.

My point is that if it's wrong, it should be changed (ie, if it's no longer true that Citi MCs post as purchases, the wiki should reflect that). And, Comenity is not listed at all (not surprising, as they are a small bank), but I think that it's worth listing them if anyone has the info.

Did you have a Citi MC post as CA? I haven't heard this yet, I was considering using my Double Cash once I reach the minimum spend on my newer cards. Guess I will use another card instead.

Preacher7 Mar 5, 15 7:40 am


Originally Posted by Drew777 (Post 24458116)
I think people that have multiple accounts typically just use the SSN of a family member. I don't think there is any way to have multiple accounts under the same SSN.

Yeah, we have 6 family accounts, 6 different individuals.

kenme1 Mar 5, 15 8:17 am


Originally Posted by Drew777 (Post 24458116)
I think people that have multiple accounts typically just use the SSN of a family member. I don't think there is any way to have multiple accounts under the same SSN.


Magic 8 ball says try again, thanks for playing though! ;)



Don't bother asking me how either.........I know notzing (Sgt. Schultz voice)

jdbcc Mar 5, 15 8:51 am

Delete

stark4 Mar 5, 15 9:18 am

Softcard is shutting down So can we still load $1500 per month to serve? Or is it too early to answer that question?

slamny Mar 5, 15 9:42 am

Hi, anyone know whether the Chase IHG master card post as sales?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:07 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.