FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

Venomous West Mar 20, 2015 5:34 am

I've been out of the game for quite awhile, as mentioned and I don't do GC with PINs reloads at Walmart since Bluebird, so let me confirm that you can load GC with PINs onto Serve using the Walmart Money Center machines and not have to go to a cashier or the customer service desk?

Mamibear Mar 20, 2015 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Venomous West (Post 24536914)
I've been out of the game for quite awhile, as mentioned and I don't do GC with PINs reloads at Walmart since Bluebird, so let me confirm that you can load GC with PINs onto Serve using the Walmart Money Center machines and not have to go to a cashier or the customer service desk?

Yes

mh1361 Mar 20, 2015 9:57 am

Originally Posted by CFFrost (Post 24535356)
Weird. I paid a bill a few hours ago without an issue. In fact, I was surprised because the payment showed next-day delivery, which is an improvement over the usual 2-day.

Billpay from the app has been next day delivery for a while, fyi.

cbe20e Mar 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 24536938)
Yes

I've used a couple different ones and have been successful. I know Vanilla GCs are a no-go, but how about the $200/$400 from target (issued by target bank) that have PINs?

yenner Mar 21, 2015 8:14 am

Just tried loading at FD and got a Invalid Vendor error....did a load earlier in the week with no problem.... anyone else?

Linda368 Mar 22, 2015 10:58 am

I can't load my Barclays US Airways card to serve. As I understand it, the change is not supposed to go into effect until 4/15, other cards still load. Is anyone else having issues with Barclays?

VIP Mar 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Linda368 (Post 24547137)
I can't load my Barclays US Airways card to serve. As I understand it, the change is not supposed to go into effect until 4/15, other cards still load. Is anyone else having issues with Barclays?

my regular Barclays worked today, fwiw

pointchaser93 Mar 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by qwqb (Post 24527085)
by "many points and many $ in profit" you mean about $4-$5 worth of points per $500 GC right? Assuming 2 points per dollar spent.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here. To me, it doesn't quite seem worth it without the ability to load directly from my CC. Are you guys getting more out of it?

Not everyone has the same assumptions. If you buy $200 VGC at Staples with Chase ink @ 5x and assume 2 cents/pt value you get $13.75 out of each 200 $ card net of fees.

jmatz216 Mar 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Hello, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the posts and the wikis. I did some information gathering and testing this weekend in my area and was able to successfully load PIN-enable GCs to the local KATE, after learning how to do it from the instructions given here.

Also, I was also able to load onto my USAirways Barclaycard today and yesterday without trouble.

dreamroar Mar 22, 2015 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by jmatz216 (Post 24548626)
Hello, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the posts and the wikis. I did some information gathering and testing this weekend in my area and was able to successfully load PIN-enable GCs to the local KATE, after learning how to do it from the instructions given here.

Also, I was also able to load onto my USAirways Barclaycard today and yesterday without trouble.

Exactly same as you for me. Did first load via Kate this weekend and USAirways load online was successful.

melymel Mar 23, 2015 10:57 am

Cannot load with DC/GC at FD (in NJ at least)

Well my bf went to another FD location (about an hour away from his usual one) and that store also said that you CAN NO LONGER LOAD WITH DC/GC, ONLY CASH.

Funny enough the manager at that store that policy was implemented in that store earlier than his usual store.

Mind you we live in NJ so maybe this is only happening in here. So he going to have to go to WM to get the GCs uploaded.

He is done being rejected so he is not going to look for another FD since those were the only 2 relatively close ones.

ANYONE ELSE HAVING ISSUES WITH USING DC/GC TO LOAD SERVE AT FD? In NJ?

Originally Posted by ttlmmky (Post 24526532)
Try a different FD, then report back. I loaded at FD just fine yesterday.

Originally Posted by melymel (Post 24529252)
He is going to another FD by his job to see if he has luck there using a VGC to upload. But he confirmed with me again that the manager stated it was corporate mandated. Fingers crossed but if he heard that, I wouldn't be surprise of another change to Serve. Will let everyone know what we find out.

ttlmmky Mar 23, 2015 11:23 am

Originally Posted by melymel (Post 24552300)
Well my bf went to another FD location (about an hour away from his usual one) and that store also said that you CAN NO LONGER LOAD WITH DC/GC, ONLY CASH.

Funny enough the manager at that store that policy was implemented in that store earlier than his usual store.

Mind you we live in NJ so maybe this is only happening in here. So he going to have to go to WM to get the GCs uploaded.

He is done being rejected so he is not going to look for another FD since those were the only 2 relatively close ones.

I've loaded at FD since your initial post. Doing MS means you have to have thick skin and take rejection in stride every now and then. A number of FD's in my area accept debit loads. A couple don't. There's no guarantee Walmarts in your area won't reject your bf as well. Keep at it!

rrgg Mar 23, 2015 11:35 am

Originally Posted by melymel (Post 24552300)

For me this started a year ago. A local store went to cash only, but other nearby stores did not. It seems to be a store policy issue not a franchise policy despite what the clerk will tell you.

Mattymess Mar 23, 2015 12:03 pm

What's everyone's strategy for loading the $200 VGCs from staples at WM?

If I have 5 $200 VGCs and want to load all 5 into my serve account, isn't it a little suspicious that I have to do 5 transactions even though the WM cashier thinks I'm using a debit card?

Just curious if there is another way that people are doing this.

Wonko Mar 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mattymess (Post 24552647)

If I have 5 $200 VGCs and want to load all 5 into my serve account, isn't it a little suspicious that I have to do 5 transactions even though the WM cashier thinks I'm using a debit card?

I just tell them the truth - my debit card has a $200 swipe limit.

Mattymess Mar 23, 2015 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko (Post 24552700)
I just tell them the truth - my debit card has a $200 swipe limit.

Fair enough. I'll give that a try. Now I've just gotta master juggling 5 cards while getting eye punched by everyone behind me in line. :eek:

MauiKauaiOahu Mar 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mattymess (Post 24552748)
Fair enough. I'll give that a try. Now I've just gotta master juggling 5 cards while getting eye punched by everyone behind me in line. :eek:

Another option for me has been to load 2 cards and then go to another register. That way it isn't quite as long a wait for everyone behind you.

pointchaser93 Mar 23, 2015 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mattymess (Post 24552647)

Check to see if any WMs in your area have a Kate. If so you can often load tons of cards with no line forming behind you. I've done 9 at a time before.

VegasGambler Mar 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Linda368 (Post 24547137)

I loaded from my USAir card on Sunday. Worked fine.

DrForce Mar 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MauiKauaiOahu (Post 24552979)
Another option for me has been to load 2 cards and then go to another register. That way it isn't quite as long a wait for everyone behind you.

Do you normally suggest doing a split payment in a single transaction for 2 cards or do 2 separate transactions? What are best practices for this type of situation?

Preacher7 Mar 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by DrForce (Post 24554471)
Do you normally suggest doing a split payment in a single transaction for 2 cards or do 2 separate transactions? What are best practices for this type of situation?

I load dozens of these to my multiple Serve cards every month. I just loaded 9 more tonight.

If you can find a working Kate like I have, that's definitely the way to go. Figure on just under a minute a card. 9 cards, 9 minutes.

The register goes a bit faster on each load, and I never do split loads and only 2 back to back at the same register. I'll hit several registers, the Money Center and Customer Service if Kate is down. But never more than 2 cards back to back, and never split loads. Doing it this way never raises any eyebrows.

adamant628 Mar 24, 2015 1:29 pm

Is anyone else having issues with bill pay today? I saw that there were some issues on 3/20 that appeared to fix themselves.
I get this error online: "We are unable to complete your request at this time. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-954-0559."
and "Error Request failed: internal server error (500)" on the app.

MauiKauaiOahu Mar 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by DrForce (Post 24554471)

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 24554999)
I load dozens of these to my multiple Serve cards every month. I just loaded 9 more tonight.

If you can find a working Kate like I have, that's definitely the way to go. Figure on just under a minute a card. 9 cards, 9 minutes.

The register goes a bit faster on each load, and I never do split loads and only 2 back to back at the same register. I'll hit several registers, the Money Center and Customer Service if Kate is down. But never more than 2 cards back to back, and never split loads. Doing it this way never raises any eyebrows.

Same as Preacher7. I do not do split loads. Just easier that way for me.

I carry my wife's bluebird, so I have a "legitimate" reason to do two loads.
Though that hasn't stopped some cashiers from telling me I can't load her card

CFFrost Mar 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Quick question for everyone.

I recently (just before the announcement of elimination of credit card loads) converted my wife from BB to Serve. Got the card yesterday. Did the first online CC load with a card that I am the primary on, but that she is an AU on. Today, when I went to do the CC load I got the expected fraud alert. Of course, at some point between yesterday and today, my wife appears to have misplaced her card. Therefore, I do not have the actual card to send in, and the statement (the back up option) is in my name not hers.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

VegasGambler Mar 24, 2015 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost (Post 24560132)
Quick question for everyone.

I recently (just before the announcement of elimination of credit card loads) converted my wife from BB to Serve. Got the card yesterday. Did the first online CC load with a card that I am the primary on, but that she is an AU on. Today, when I went to do the CC load I got the expected fraud alert. Of course, at some point between yesterday and today, my wife appears to have misplaced her card. Therefore, I do not have the actual card to send in, and the statement (the back up option) is in my name not hers.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Option 1: Find the card.

Option 2. Call the CC company, report the AU card lost, and see if they can send you a new one and waive the fee for 2-day or overnight delivery. In my experience with every card I've ever had, you don't even need to ask -- the CSR will ask if you want to get the delivery expidited and offer to waive the fee. That will still get it to you in time to complete your March loads.

CFFrost Mar 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 24560173)
Option 1: Find the card.

Option 2. Call the CC company, report the AU card lost, and see if they can send you a new one and waive the fee for 2-day or overnight delivery. In my experience with every card I've ever had, you don't even need to ask -- the CSR will ask if you want to get the delivery expidited and offer to waive the fee. That will still get it to you in time to complete your March loads.

I guess I could report the card "damaged" - if I report it lost they will want to change the card number.

adamant628 Mar 25, 2015 7:10 am

Originally Posted by adamant628 (Post 24558676)
Is anyone else having issues with bill pay today? I saw that there were some issues on 3/20 that appeared to fix themselves.
I get this error online: "We are unable to complete your request at this time. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-954-0559."
and "Error Request failed: internal server error (500)" on the app.

It seems that this issue has corrected itself.

ericdabbs Mar 25, 2015 8:29 am

Originally Posted by CFFrost (Post 24560667)
I guess I could report the card "damaged" - if I report it lost they will want to change the card number.

Either way you are stuck for now until you can request and get the replacement AU card. You still have plenty of time to hit your April month before April 15th.

CFFrost Mar 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 24562562)
Either way you are stuck for now until you can request and get the replacement AU card. You still have plenty of time to hit your April month before April 15th.

I just was not sure if anyone had submitted a bill with a mismatched name and gotten it approved, or had found another way to get it approved.

ericdabbs Mar 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost (Post 24564269)
I just was not sure if anyone had submitted a bill with a mismatched name and gotten it approved, or had found another way to get it approved.

That is a good question which I don't know the answer for. I think its best to talk with them on the phone and ask if a bill is sufficient proof instead of a pic of the actual card.

CFFrost Mar 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 24564371)
That is a good question which I don't know the answer for. I think its best to talk with them on the phone and ask if a bill is sufficient proof instead of a pic of the actual card.

The instructions indicate that a bill is acceptable, however my wife's name does not appear on the bill.

In any event, I requested a new card which will be expedited, so at this point it is likely a moot point.

ericdabbs Mar 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost (Post 24564566)
The instructions indicate that a bill is acceptable, however my wife's name does not appear on the bill.

In any event, I requested a new card which will be expedited, so at this point it is likely a moot point.

Honestly I would feel more comfortable submitting the card as evidence. Like you said getting it expedited just sets you back like 1-2 days.

MilesRemaining Mar 25, 2015 4:12 pm

10 Center per swipe until April 30th

Anyone else get this email?

"For a limited time, you can get 10 cents added to your account each time you make a purchase with your American Express Serve card. No registration needed - just use your card and the credit will be added to your account."

Anyone feel like buying a million or so $.01 Amazon Gift Cards? :)

T&C: Terms & Conditions
1Receive a $0.10 Account credit from American Express Serve each time you make an eligible purchase transaction with your American Express Serve Card between March 25, 2015 and April 30, 2015. Subaccount holders are not eligible to earn a credit. Eligible purchase transactions do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of other cash equivalents, or online bill pay. Merchants are responsible for submitting transaction information to us and if American Express does not receive information from the merchant that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive any Account credit. Purchase transactions may fall outside of the month in which you made the purchase if there is a delay in the merchant submitting the transaction information to us. Certain merchants may combine two or more purchase transactions conducted using your Eligible Card in a way that results in a single transaction appearing on your American Express Serve Account statement. In such cases, you will only receive a single transaction credit of $0.10. Account credit will normally be applied to your American Express Serve Account promptly after your eligible purchase transaction clears, but could take up to thirty (30) days. Offer expires April 30, 2015, but offer is subject to change or cancelation at any time. Offer valid only for the primary recipient of this email and shall be void if transferred or forwarded.

Mamibear Mar 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by MilesRemaining (Post 24564905)
Anyone else get this email?

"For a limited time, you can get 10 cents added to your account each time you make a purchase with your American Express Serve card. No registration needed - just use your card and the credit will be added to your account."

Anyone feel like buying a million or so $.01 Amazon Gift Cards? :)

afaik, amazon has increased the least amount to buy amazon GCs to .50 a while back. I just checked and .50 is the least amount even for eGCs.

rtwvagabond Mar 25, 2015 7:13 pm

Does the cash only load rule apply if one wanted to buy & load the temp card at CVS?

ZeroMile Mar 25, 2015 8:31 pm

does anyone know can an AMEX GC be loaded vs. linked CC load? if that works maybe that's the solution after the apr 16th, :) or not :(

VegasGambler Mar 25, 2015 8:58 pm

UFB Direct Debit Card

Is it possible to linka UFB Direct debit card to Serve? When I tried to link mine, I got "Card Issuer Decline Transaction Code".

Phantom707 Mar 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by ZeroMile (Post 24565974)
does anyone know can an AMEX GC be loaded vs. linked CC load? if that works maybe that's the solution after the apr 16th, :) or not :(

No. American Express gift cards can be loaded and used maybe once or twice, but you will be shut down fairly quickly. Consider that it's all within the same network of American Express, and the digits on the card do indicate whether it's a gift card or not.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 24566073)
Is it possible to linka UFB Direct debit card to Serve? When I tried to link mine, I got "Card Issuer Decline Transaction Code".

Try harder. It works.

46sky Mar 26, 2015 12:35 am

Has anyone successfully linked a credit card as "backup" funding on their (empty) serve account, and then used serve to purchase items which usually usually only take cash/debit?

VegasGambler Mar 26, 2015 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 24566209)
Try harder. It works.

I dunno why it doesn't work for me. I checked the information that I'm entering and it's all correct.