FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

dannytatas Feb 6, 15 9:59 am

I don't think I mishandled the situation. I was holding my Serve and Chase Debit Card in my hand, VGCs in my pocket. The person cancelled my transaction and asked me to show her my debit card. I did, and she said I wasn't allowed to load. She called the manager over, I told her manager that she was out of line.

Edit: I'm not here to argue. I agree that the less interactions I have with staff is the best option, and that's my approach. I'm just defending my case since she cancelled my transaction while I was using the KATE and claimed I was structuring by loading my Serve with my debit card (from the information she was given).

dannytatas Feb 6, 15 10:33 am

I called Serve Customer Service regarding my load limit at the KATE. I told her that I tried loading my Serve card with cash in $500 increments, and it would only let me do two loads before locking me out. The months prior to that it would let me do more. She told me that the cash load limits were $500 increments, $1000/day, and $5000/month. I told her on the website it says $2500/day, but her manager confirmed the $1000/day. I'm confused because I didn't have this issue before.

dministrator Feb 6, 15 11:01 am

Friends,

I have a Freedom card linked with Serve/SoftCard. My CA limit is set to $100. This means I will have 10+ $100 transactions on the Freedom to meet the Serve limit each month.

Chase's terms say the following, among other things: https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase....nd-regulations

Your points don't expire as long as your account is open, however, you'll lose all your points if:

we close your account for any of the following reasons:
we believe that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your account or the program
we believe that you've misused the program in any way, for example:
by repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards
Does the multiple $100 transactions raise any flags either on the Chase side or AmEx side? If Chase doesn't like it, will they give us an opportunity to explain or will they close it abruptly? Anyone with experience, please share and add it to Wiki if relevant. For what it is worth, it is one of my oldest accounts with Chase (10+years) and I have other cards and checking accounts with Chase.

Thank you.

f0xx Feb 6, 15 11:31 am

Originally Posted by dannytatas (Post 24302884)
I don't think I mishandled the situation. I was holding my Serve and Chase Debit Card in my hand, VGCs in my pocket. The person cancelled my transaction and asked me to show her my debit card. I did, and she said I wasn't allowed to load. She called the manager over, I told her manager that she was out of line.

Edit: I'm not here to argue. I agree that the less interactions I have with staff is the best option, and that's my approach. I'm just defending my case since she cancelled my transaction while I was using the KATE and claimed I was structuring by loading my Serve with my debit card (from the information she was given).

Originally Posted by dannytatas (Post 24303068)
I called Serve Customer Service regarding my load limit at the KATE. I told her that I tried loading my Serve card with cash in $500 increments, and it would only let me do two loads before locking me out. The months prior to that it would let me do more. She told me that the cash load limits were $500 increments, $1000/day, and $5000/month. I told her on the website it says $2500/day, but her manager confirmed the $1000/day. I'm confused because I didn't have this issue before.

Seriously? *facepalm*

JATR4 Feb 6, 15 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 24302532)
Thank you guys for the info.

Correct me if I am wrong in my understanding as I have never used it before, the pack I saw has only Netspend printed on the top left hand corner of the front, nothing else indicates it can be used to load other prepaid cards. It does not matter as there is only one type of ReloadIt, right?
To load, use the ReloadIt site and the Quick Load on the front page is the function used to load Serve.

Did you open a Safe?

Again, thank you for your kind replies.

My packs have "Issued by Blackhawk Network California, Inc" at the bottom on the front page.

If you open the pack, several cards are listed as using the Reloadit loading service.

Use the quick load, no need for a Safe. Site is hit and miss, may take several attempts to load. Worked for 2 loads this afternoon.

Happy Feb 6, 15 11:58 am

Originally Posted by JATR4 (Post 24303453)
My packs have "Issued by Blackhawk Network California, Inc" at the bottom on the front page.

If you open the pack, several cards are listed as using the Reloadit loading service.

Use the quick load, no need for a Safe. Site is hit and miss, may take several attempts to load. Worked for 2 loads this afternoon.

If I remember it correctly, the pack is a white color folder with the 4 color cards in front to form a Cross pattern as shown on the ReloadIt site, the wording on the issuer is listed at the back with the disclaimer that any issues regarding the pack needs to be handled by Blackhawk. Hope my grocery store register would not block it while still charging the source card.

Interesting about the site is a hit and miss.

dingo Feb 6, 15 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by dannytatas (Post 24300583)
I was able to load three of my $500 VGC at the Kiosk before the manager approval came on

What is this 'manager approval' thing? Seriously interested. I've loaded two Serve cards w/ around 20 at a time and never have been stopped.

Happy Feb 6, 15 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 24303716)
What is this 'manager approval' thing? Seriously interested. I've loaded two Serve cards w/ around 20 at a time and never have been stopped.

Power trip + Paranoia of the store management.

A month or so ago a supervisor at a neighborhood store literally came to turned off the Kate when I just finished loading 4x $200 cards on one Serve card. She claimed I had reached the daily limit. No use to reason or even try to discuss. Then she lied to the assistant manager that the machine was down. The assistant manager knew exactly what was going on but just said to go to another Walmart.

In those hostile stores, they are willing to inconvenience other customers by taking the machine offline (Lane Closed) for no reason just to demonstrate so they can, to you the one who they dont like the way you use the machine.

That is why RB is so much nicer.

dannytatas Feb 6, 15 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx (Post 24303445)
Seriously? *facepalm*

Care to comment rather than being facetious?

dannytatas Feb 6, 15 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 24303716)

It happens after I've loaded $1000 (2x $500 VGCs) and trying to load the third. A message pops up that says manager's approval is needed in order to continue. They have to put in an employee code/password to continue. Them entering the code doesn't guarantee the system will allow you to continue. It's something I've dealt with at all the SoCal WM I've been to.

dannytatas Feb 6, 15 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 24303772)
Power trip + Paranoia of the store management.

A month or so ago a supervisor at a neighborhood store literally came to turned off the Kate when I just finished loading 4x $200 cards on one Serve card. She claimed I had reached the daily limit. No use to reason or even try to discuss. Then she lied to the assistant manager that the machine was down. The assistant manager knew exactly what was going on but just said to go to another Walmart.

In those hostile stores, they are willing to inconvenience other customers by taking the machine offline (Lane Closed) for no reason just to demonstrate so they can, to you the one who they dont like the way you use the machine.

That is why RB is so much nicer.

I agree. I've been considering RB for awhile now because of this inconvenience, but I don't MS regularly; only when necessary. Since I don't do GCs as often, it's hard to give up the monthly $1k online CC loads.

Happy Feb 6, 15 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by dannytatas (Post 24303887)
I agree. I've been considering RB for awhile now because of this inconvenience, but I don't MS regularly; only when necessary. Since I don't do GCs as often, it's hard to give up the monthly $1k online CC loads.

But your RB is direct load from CC.

The only advantage of Serve is it participates in AMEX offers which normally concentrate in the last quarter of a calendar year.

You can always switch back to Serve when and if RB not allows direct CC load.

dannytatas Feb 6, 15 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 24303906)
But your RB is direct load from CC.

The only advantage of Serve is it participates in AMEX offers which normally concentrate in the last quarter of a calendar year.

You can always switch back to Serve when and if RB not allows direct CC load.

Oh, I wasn't aware. Thank you, Happy, for the info.

hamokmonky Feb 6, 15 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by dannytatas (Post 24302884)

you stated you had a fit with the manager. Not that you calmly and collectedly told the manager that you felt the employee was mistreating you.

dannytatas Feb 6, 15 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky (Post 24303977)
you stated you had a fit with the manager. Not that you calmly and collectedly told the manager that you felt the employee was mistreating you.

It was not a literal fit with the manager. That was a flippant comment, and I apologize if that made things unclear. I just said I didn't appreciate how I was treated. There was no scene, just a conversation between two levelheaded individuals.

dingo Feb 6, 15 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by dannytatas (Post 24303871)
It happens after I've loaded $1000 (2x $500 VGCs) and trying to load the third. A message pops up that says manager's approval is needed in order to continue. They have to put in an employee code/password to continue. Them entering the code doesn't guarantee the system will allow you to continue. It's something I've dealt with at all the SoCal WM I've been to.

Aha...I think it has something to do w/ the denominations then. Back when Chase was selling fee free $500 cards I would have to stop after 2 of them, but never w/ the $200 denoms. Just today I loaded up 9 $200's via Kate and as I said above, I've done up to 24 in a row (two BB cards) at the kiosk at a time. Man, that really makes you feel like all eyes are on you by the way, but then again, it's only WM!

kst78 Feb 6, 15 3:28 pm

Today I took my VGC (incomm cards) to the regular FD where I have loaded Serve for the last three months. The manager, told me he was not allowed to do it anymore because he had just taken a "Test". I asked him what that meant. He said he could no longer authorize debit card reloads to Serve cards. He said the company was taking a stand against "structuring" and he wasn't allowed anymore. Since there is another FD a mile a way from the last one, I went up there and was able to load the 4 gift cards (400X400) onto the two serve cards. The last 200 load was quite shaky and the system kept getting errors, but the clerk was quite persistent and I was able to get it loaded. I guess my unloading will be via MO's in the future.

rrgg Feb 6, 15 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by kst78 (Post 24304912)
Today I took my VGC (incomm cards) to the regular FD where I have loaded Serve for the last three months. The manager, told me he was not allowed to do it anymore because he had just taken a "Test". I asked him what that meant. He said he could no longer authorize debit card reloads to Serve cards. He said the company was taking a stand against "structuring" and he wasn't allowed anymore. Since there is another FD a mile a way from the last one, I went up there and was able to load the 4 gift cards (400X400) onto the two serve cards. The last 200 load was quite shaky and the system kept getting errors, but the clerk was quite persistent and I was able to get it loaded. I guess my unloading will be via MO's in the future.

To me this isn't really new. 2 FD in my area decided to switch to cash only over the past 6 months, but 4 still allow it and are very friendly about it. For that reason I sort of think it's a local store decision.

kst78 Feb 6, 15 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 24304971)
To me this isn't really new. 2 FD in my area decided to switch to cash only over the past 6 months, but 4 still allow it and are very friendly about it. For that reason I sort of think it's a local store decision.

Yes. I think I got too "regular" with this store. So, I think I will keep a low profile, for now. At least there is another one that still works.

vishalp0826 Feb 6, 15 6:13 pm

First time doing this. Tried loading a VGC for $200 which I bought from staples recently at Walmart. The cashier told me I can't use it since it doesn't have my name on it. I think I made a rookie mistake by saying its a gift card and showing it to her first. Is this my fault or have there been changes to walmarts policy recently?

dukerau Feb 6, 15 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by vishalp0826 (Post 24305695)
First time doing this. Tried loading a VGC for $200 which I bought from staples recently at Walmart. The cashier told me I can't use it since it doesn't have my name on it. I think I made a rookie mistake by saying its a gift card and showing it to her first. Is this my fault or have there been changes to walmarts policy recently?

Seriously?

DaveInLA Feb 6, 15 7:22 pm

I haven't gone to WM to load BB/Serve in 3 months. I've read about cashiers asking to see he card and rejecting gift cards. Is this a "YMMV" thing or is it widespread policy?

vishalp0826 Feb 7, 15 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau (Post 24305856)
Seriously?

From the response I received, I am guessing I made a rookie/stupid mistake. I found a WM that has the money center kiosk nearby, I hope its working when i go.

NDN Feb 7, 15 6:07 pm

Tested Serve on Marriott Rewards Business Premier with weird results:

At first, payment was temporary authorization as a cash advance. Then after a couple days, the temp auth went away. The account showed the new balance, but the Serve load is not in the posted transactions. It is not in ANYTHING that I can find on the online account info. I see the balance is correct, and the remaining credit is correct, but there is no purchase posted or cash advance balance. The transaction doesn't exist.

Happy Feb 7, 15 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by NDN (Post 24310459)
Tested Serve on Marriott Rewards Business Premier with weird results:

At first, payment was temporary authorization as a cash advance. Then after a couple days, the temp auth went away. The account showed the new balance, but the Serve load is not in the posted transactions. It is not in ANYTHING that I can find on the online account info. I see the balance is correct, and the remaining credit is correct, but there is no purchase posted or cash advance balance. The transaction doesn't exist.

You obviously have not known this is how Chase business cards work - Rest assured the transaction will show up by Monday or Tuesday.

It has been a long complaint among folks that there are 2 to 3 days gap between the pending disappears and the transaction posts. Chase explanation was because the business card would generate an expense report, hence the delay and they were "working on it" to eliminate the gap - that was like two or three years ago! Things never improve and there are always new business card owners come up with this "weirdness".

tatys00 Feb 7, 15 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare (Post 24265545)
Why don't you try it by yourself (and report the result, if you kind enough)?

If you load it for, says, $5, the worst case is you will be charged $5 for CA fee.

So I am reporting back on Club Carlson Visa, I loaded $50 and got a $10 cash charge :( so, no go for this card. Now I need to find another card to load.

crimson12 Feb 8, 15 9:50 am

I've seen some questions but no definitive recent answers so I just wanted to see if anyone has had Serve loads definitively count toward minimum spends on Amex cards? My wife has an Amex Plat and I'm getting one shortly, so we'll have a bunch of minimum spending to hit (higher than usual based on targeted offers). Have been loading $1k/month to Serve - hoping it counts. If not, I owe some taxes this year (bleh) so I can use the Amex if I absolutely must, though given the ~2% fee obviously I'd prefer not to...

Thanks!

yukon50 Feb 8, 15 1:41 pm

I applied for a family member Serve and it was shipped about 24 calendar days ago and still haven't received yet. Has anyone faced this issue or know how to resolve?

This is a female family member and I'm male, so it won't be possible to call (family member doesn't want to do it).

When does the fee get charged? Maybe I should close it before that...

Mamibear Feb 8, 15 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by yukon50 (Post 24314125)
I applied for a family member Serve and it was shipped about 24 calendar days ago and still haven't received yet. Has anyone faced this issue or know how to resolve?

This is a female family member and I'm male, so it won't be possible to call (family member doesn't want to do it).

Fee gets charged in a month from the time you open the account. Just curious, why does your family member refuse to call? When DH has issues with his Serve, I take care of it although they verify his identity first and ask him if he permits me to talk to them about his account. All they'll ask her is her name/last 4 of her SSN and answer to her security question. If you set up the account for her, just make sure she knows the answer. After initial verification, you can now speak with the rep. 24 days is too long, the card may have been lost in the mail, it is best to follow up and ask for a re-send. Good luck!

concordian Feb 8, 15 2:35 pm

I had something similar happen to me(though it was a switch from Blue Bird to Serve). Login to your account and check the profile carefully, it was missing part of my address and once I talked to the rep(you cannot update it), she was able to update the address and send the card.

All the best.

NDN Feb 8, 15 2:37 pm

It can take a while, but 24 days is a lot.... Why won't the family member call?

Lesfilles Feb 8, 15 4:21 pm

What am I missing ? Cannot load debit card online(purchased online from Staples) on Serve.

So I got the Visa gift card from Staples. Got it activated. Went to gowallet to change the pin and was able to check the balance.

Next step was to link the card to Serve by selecting on the link debit card. Upon linking, I got the error saying "merchant denied transaction or sthing like that".

I went back to go wallet and check the transaction history and saw Serve there with a 0.00 balance transaction.

Am I missing step ? Or is there a time period for the card to get verified by serve and afterwards, I should try to link again ?

thanks again

roki Feb 8, 15 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lesfilles (Post 24314836)
What am I missing ? Cannot load debit card online(purchased online from Staples) on Serve.

So I got the Visa gift card from Staples. Got it activated. Went to gowallet to change the pin and was able to check the balance.

Next step was to link the card to Serve by selecting on the link debit card. Upon linking, I got the error saying "merchant denied transaction or sthing like that".

I went back to go wallet and check the transaction history and saw Serve there with a 0.00 balance transaction.

Am I missing step ? Or is there a time period for the card to get verified by serve and afterwards, I should try to link again ?

thanks again

Yes, this from Wiki:

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal*, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

Wonko Feb 8, 15 4:24 pm

thanks again

Read the wiki re:Online Debit Card Loads.

ICEE45 Feb 9, 15 3:44 am

thanks again

You can load at Walmart through checkout lane or the money center kiosk. I choose the money center kiosk so I wouldn't have to deal with anyone. Here is the same staples gift card transaction I did a while back:

http://i.imgur.com/0Vc4m2Z.jpg

Just hit the "Walmart Money Card" icon (works for Serve) on the screen and follow the instructions. I admit, the first time I did it I was a bit nervous because the processing transaction screen took a while, but it went through. I used the default pin number which is the last four digits of the credit card number.

tatys00 Feb 9, 15 7:09 am

Originally Posted by crimson12 (Post 24312941)
I've seen some questions but no definitive recent answers so I just wanted to see if anyone has had Serve loads definitively count toward minimum spends on Amex cards? My wife has an Amex Plat and I'm getting one shortly, so we'll have a bunch of minimum spending to hit (higher than usual based on targeted offers). Have been loading $1k/month to Serve - hoping it counts. If not, I owe some taxes this year (bleh) so I can use the Amex if I absolutely must, though given the ~2% fee obviously I'd prefer not to...

Thanks!

I will know in about two weeks when with my next statement. I have been using Serve to hit a min spending on my amex. I'll report back.

nicklesprout Feb 9, 15 8:22 am

Hi all, i am trying to manufacture grocery store spend on my Chase Freedom by buying Visa Gift Cards from the grocery store and loading them onto Serve. I have seem to hit a wall. The only VGC's i've been able to load to SErve at Family Dollar are the Vanilla Visas. The non-vanilla Visa issued by US Bank do not load at Family Dollar. I get a 'allowable pin tries exceeded' or something error. As well, non-vanilla visas will not load to SErve at Walmart for me either. I cannot seem to find any vanilla visas at the grocery stores near me. Does anyone know what is going on, and what my other options are to be able to load serve with grocery store gift cards that are available? or perhaps a different way to manufacture spend from a grocery store? could i get one of the reloadable paypal cards with a credit card, and then load that to my paypal account and then withdraw those funds into my bank account? any help is appreciated. thanks!

Mamibear Feb 9, 15 9:10 am

Originally Posted by nicklesprout (Post 24317957)
Hi all, i am trying to manufacture grocery store spend on my Chase Freedom by buying Visa Gift Cards from the grocery store and loading them onto Serve. I have seem to hit a wall. The only VGC's i've been able to load to SErve at Family Dollar are the Vanilla Visas. The non-vanilla Visa issued by US Bank do not load at Family Dollar. I get a 'allowable pin tries exceeded' or something error. As well, non-vanilla visas will not load to SErve at Walmart for me either. I cannot seem to find any vanilla visas at the grocery stores near me. Does anyone know what is going on, and what my other options are to be able to load serve with grocery store gift cards that are available? or perhaps a different way to manufacture spend from a grocery store? could i get one of the reloadable paypal cards with a credit card, and then load that to my paypal account and then withdraw those funds into my bank account? any help is appreciated. thanks!

have you tried the Sunrise VGCs with 4.94 fee? I've not encountered problems loading them either at Kate/MC/registers.

I don't recommend the pp reloadable sold at stores. check the T&C plus fees and you'll know why. PP is notorious for closing accounts where people load and immediately w/d to bank account, so be careful about that.

Linda368 Feb 9, 15 9:54 am

thanks again

You cannot use GC debit cards on Serve.

nadir576 Feb 9, 15 11:23 am

I think I have messed up the OV load at FD yesterday. I tried loading it and POS was immediately frozen (someone loaded it earlier), after convincing cashier that I need to re-swipe the card again in order for $$$ to go back into my debit card, she reluctantly allowed it after hitting some keys on her side. I re-swiped and as soon as I did it, I got an email from serve about successful reload. Funny thing is at first I am seeing a -$500 charge at FD and then $500 Cash reload on my serve account. On OV side, I am only seeing debit of $500 at the FD store but no credit back. I just spoke with local store manager (who is very helpful) and he mentioned calling serve to see if they can see the transaction on their end. Now the common wisdom is to contact FD corporate and explain the whole situation and they can sort out the mess by looking into trans history. Should I go ahead and involved FD corp. at this point? or waiting is the best option, $$$ will appear in my OV account by itself? I have done the re-swipe several times and it was always instant but this time, something messesd up.

Thanks for any suggestions.