Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
What should I do at this point?
1) I already withdrew $200 from Amex Serve
2) $200 showing as pending in Chase United Explorer VISA

Q. Don't they charge like $35 or something for cash advance?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:32 pm

You can't do anything about it. Pay the fee and get on with life. I also just attempted to load 200 onto serve with my CSP. It got denied so I called customer service. I got transferred to Fraud Prevention, then got transferred to a "special" department where they asked me a million questions.

After I got off the phone, I tried again. It went through. Cash advance limit has been decreased by 200. So I'm guessing it's posting as a cash advance.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jasonkr

CA fee is percentage based. Usually 3-5% of transaction. Then, cash balance doesn't get grace period, so interest begins accruing immediately. Pay off the full existing balance ASAP. Call in after fee posts and plead your case, but expect nothing. Honestly I wouldn't even waste my time calling over what will be around $10 of cost for you.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jasonkr

Assuming you have the same terms of what is currently out there:
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...edit-card.aspx

Click on "Terms and Pricing" - the Cash Advance fee is 5% or $10, whichever is higher (same for a $200 load). But interest will start accruing right away, which is probably the bigger worry.

I've sent in a payment to bring my balance to zero, just in case, so if anything, I'll have to pay interest for just a few days.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
Originally Posted by dukerau
CA fee is percentage based. Usually 3-5% of transaction. Then, cash balance doesn't get grace period, so interest begins accruing immediately. Pay off the full existing balance ASAP. Call in after fee posts and plead your case, but expect nothing. Honestly I wouldn't even waste my time calling over what will be around $10 of cost for you.
Originally Posted by andyli
Assuming you have the same terms of what is currently out there:
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...edit-card.aspx

Click on "Terms and Pricing" - the Cash Advance fee is 5% or $10, whichever is higher (same for a $200 load). But interest will start accruing right away, which is probably the bigger worry.

I've sent in a payment to bring my balance to zero, just in case, so if anything, I'll have to pay interest for just a few days.
I see, lesson learned.
$10 for the farewell to Amex Serve
Thank you for commenting guys
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rrgg
To be clear, are you stating that you have been charged a cash advance fee?
No but cash advance limit is now $800 instead of $1,000 which has never happened before today. Wait and see I guess.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:16 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by pkoo
You can't do anything about it. Pay the fee and get on with life. I also just attempted to load 200 onto serve with my CSP. It got denied so I called customer service. I got transferred to Fraud Prevention, then got transferred to a "special" department where they asked me a million questions.

After I got off the phone, I tried again. It went through. Cash advance limit has been decreased by 200. So I'm guessing it's posting as a cash advance.
if you were on the phone with CSR, why wouldnt you just lower your CA limit to $0 before attempting to load?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Cash Advance on my Sapphire Preferred too. Weirdly enough, Capitol One charged me cash advance for TD bank a couple of days ago, now Chase will be charging me cash advance of Nationwide Buxx load.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hitman1420
Just a heads-up on Barclays Arrival.

My morning Serve load initially posted in pending transactions as 10/2.
Just checked again and that pending transaction has disappeared.

10/1 Serve load is still pending.

I have a $1 CA limit, but I've heard of others being able to "go over" their CA... I guess we'll see in a few days.
I wasn't able to reduce my cash adv limit for Barclay cards
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:31 pm

Fork!! Used my Freedom and Explorer VISA, saw both of its CA limit decreased. Called Chase, and was told the transaction is being coded as CA! There goes $20 plus some interest. No more MS for you AMEX Serve!!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:07 am

Same with Discover... this is why you set all your credit cards to $0.00 cash advance limit. I think Amex changed their coding if both Chase and Discover are all of the sudden coding Serve as a cash advance?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:17 am

words of wisdom for those who keep calling Chase...

do yourself a favour and... STOP!!

what exactly is the objective? to draw attention to your MS? good grief.

you have nothing to gain from calling them. NOTHING. i'm dumbfounded that anyone would call for $10 or $20. few things are more obviously MS than loading cash directly onto a debit card. and some of you posted about being connected to fraud dept and then risk. awesome.

chalk it up to the cost of doing business and (quietly) soldier on. hell, it may actually make you a 'better' customer. banks love customers who pay fees and interest- it's the cornerstone of their business model.

a good rule of thumb in MS is to make sure that there is zero correlation between your MS actions, and this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6lNDrCi88

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Oct 3, 2014 at 12:28 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:19 am

We need to let this all play out for a couple days before we all overreact.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:36 am

I checked my chase credit cards and they are showing as "sales". My cash advance limit is not reduced for serve load.

Am I just lucky?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by SR99
I checked my chase credit cards and they are showing as "sales". My cash advance limit is not reduced for serve load.

Am I just lucky?
What kind of Chase card and is it a Visa/MasterCard? What transaction date was the load done from AMEX Serve? This wasn't noticed until 10/2, so as far as I know, nothing has posted yet. We won't know really until the transaction posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.