Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:20 pm
jmw

Bunch of people are calling their credit card issuer about Amex Serve declines despite the big warning at the top in red. Wow.

Even drug dealers are much smarter than you guys. That's like calling the police and telling them that someone stole your grow operation equipment.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
jmw for president ! u got my vote
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:34 pm

I hope someone considers closing the thread.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rrgg
I hope someone considers closing the thread.
Reason #127 why newbies should have a probation period before being allowed to post no less actually start a clueless thread.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
Reason #127 why newbies should have a probation period before being allowed to post no less actually start a clueless thread.
+1
Joined the forum recently but no newbie to MS. Was just lazy to create an account
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by TTnC4me
There is precedence for this. You need 90 days and 90 posts to edit a wiki.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by ACVid
On the other hand I was never able to use ink+ to load USB Buxx, because it attempts to process it as a CA.
As an aside, I loaded US Buxx with an Ink+ (newish card) on Aug 31 and Sept. 29--because I didn't know I couldn't :-). I'm waiting for this Serve thing to settle down for a few more days and may try it again if I don't do Arrival+.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
Bunch of people are calling their credit card issuer about Amex Serve declines despite the big warning at the top in red. Wow.

Even drug dealers are much smarter than you guys. That's like calling the police and telling them that someone stole your grow operation equipment.
This thread is about Chase coding as a cash advance, not Discover DECLINING transactions. I dont have my CA set to 0 on Discover so the transaction should still go through even if it posts as a cash advance, not get declined. Dont get it twisted. If there is a possibility my bank is declining my card I want to know why regardless of it being Serve or McDonalds.

Last edited by ctaul; Oct 6, 2014 at 4:30 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by chongwj8
Anyone able to increase CA back? It seems that they need to increase credit line in order to do that, really don't want another pull on CR.
I did w/o a hard pull! I was told by a Chase CSR the same cr*p last Friday, which I don't think make any sense. I called CSP C.S. n.o. today. The CSR was professional and said you can retrieve your CA limit w/o a credit inquiry as long as it is under your previous amount. So I just took it back within seconds.

Btw, my Serve loading was declined by Chase Untied VISA probably due to $0 CA limit, but Chase IHG Master with $0 CA went through w/o a problem. So I guess the CA limit only applies to some Chase Visa cards.

Will try CSP tomorrow cause I need to call Serve first due to switching loading credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.