Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Can confirm that my Chase Hyatt card is now coding as a cash advance as well. Did 2x$200 loads yesterday and this morning (before I saw the news) and my cash advance limit is down $400. Oh well.
I don't see how this is any confirmation. If you read the post above yours, you'll see the same thing but the transaction gets posted as purchase rather than cash advance. Actual confirmation is if you got hit with a cash advance fee.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:00 pm

Do NOT call Chase about this!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:03 pm

It's like no one has ever loaded a buxx card before. Pending, is exactly what it means. Nothing is for sure until it posts.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:06 pm

Can confirm that my Chase Hyatt card is now coding as a cash advance as well. Did 2x$200 loads yesterday and this morning (before I saw the news) and my cash advance limit is down $400. Oh well.
My Chase Hyatt always pended as CA, but posted as purchase, when loading TD Buxx. It may just be a similar code.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Why not call Chase? I would if I saw an unexpected cash advance fee. Or at least bring it to their attention and send an SM. Who wouldn't want to get refunded?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by JamieDee78
Why not call Chase? I would if I saw an unexpected cash advance fee. Or at least bring it to their attention and send an SM. Who wouldn't want to get refunded?
If you can't eat a small fee then this isn't the right game for you.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Because you are technically Cash Advancing when depositing $$$ to your Serve Account with your CC. That is why!!!

Having enjoyed the benefit of it being treated as a purchase was the only reason everyone in this community used Serve.

Amazing people here still think they are always correct and that the bank owes them an apology for messing with them and their business relationship. Well, it is people like that that end up closing our MS opportunities when collapsing the banks Customer Service lines and making them aware of everything.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:16 pm

For one thing, no one has reported a cash advance fee yet.

Aside from that, if you draw attention you risk alerting someone that they should try to stop any remaining avenue.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:20 pm

Yes while your cash advance limit is down $400, you haven't been charged the cash advance fees yet so until your charges have been posted to your account, you just have to wait and see. For the time being just stop adding more to your Serve account until your first 2 loads post unless you just want to possibly accept all cash advance fees.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by mxhjustin
Have anyone tried loading serve/bb in walmart yesterday? What I worry more is if loading using credit card online has CA issues, whether in store the transactions would be coded the same thing. I mean, no longer purchase but some cash transactions. If that happens, then we would not be able to use gift cards and a lot of prepaid cards to load serve/BB even in stores...
Cash Advance only applies to CC's...not debit cards . The banks cannot charge you a cash advance fee when you transfer money out of your own checking account between different institutions. If that was the case, then any ACH transactions between banks would be subject to fees which are not.

In the case of BB/Serve, you cannot fund your BB/Serve account with CC at WM so you won't have the situation where you could be charged a cash advance fee. Stop jumping to conclusions and calm down if you don't know the situation.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:36 pm

I felt the need to register i saw this post on another website.

some people (facepalm)

zhlf | October 2, 2014 at 11:38 am |

No sure if it has been confirmed or not.

“I tried to load $200 from my Chase United Club card this morning and the transaction was declined. After a talk with Chase, the transaction was attempted as a cash advance. I just loaded $200 yesterday on 10/1 with no problem, so it could be a very new change. Anyone else have this issue with other Chase cards?

Update from Chase: Serve is keying the transaction as a cash advance and they have no control over that but previous transactions were coded as normal purchases.
Update from Serve: They do not know how the transaction is coded as a “purchase” or a “cash advance” and that is up to the bank or credit card. They started a customer service ticket too
ugh
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:29 pm

I don't think the wiki text is big enough for the "DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS"
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I don't think the wiki text is big enough for the "DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS"
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Too bad you can't make it a popup
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
October 2: $500 load w/ CSP
October 3: $500 load w/ CSP

Neither has posted, but cash advance is down by $500, which seems to match other's reports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.