Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:43 am

Capital One is still coding Serve loads as "Merchandise."
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I loaded 1 OV and 1 Meta to Kate with success yesterday at noon. No issue for me.
I thought OneVanilla doesn't work in Walmart any more. Did I miss something here?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:48 am

My UA load on Oct 1st disappeared from pending and now showing up in post transaction at this moment. Can't say what it was coded as. Fingers crossed!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by heydude
I thought OneVanilla doesn't work in Walmart any more. Did I miss something here?
Yes.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Charged $500 on 10/1. Posted.
Charged $500 on 10/2. Still pending.

Cash advance is $500 lower than my limit. Chase shows the transaction on 10/1 earning 500 miles. So I think the authorization uses the cash advance limit. But when it actually posts, it posts as a purchase.

Waiting for my charge on 10/2 to post.

So far, so good.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by Wiirachay

Cash advance is $500 lower than my limit. Chase shows the transaction on 10/1 earning 500 miles. So I think the authorization uses the cash advance limit. But when it actually posts, it posts as a purchase.

So far, so good.
Same happened to me, but the problem with your theory is my CA limit never dropped by $1000, and I had 2 pending (One from 10/1 and one from 10/2).

I think it is more likely a change was made for loans as of 10/2 to either temporarily code them as CA or to actually code them as CA.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I was going to change my linked card from my CSP to my Club Carlson, but I'll hold tight for now, I guess. No loads attempted yet. I usually wait for my statement to cut around the 10th.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Yes.
Would you mind elaborating a little? Did VR come back to life? Still the same "cancel" trick at register and no issue at Kate?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Would you mind elaborating a little? Did VR come back to life? Still the same "cancel" trick at register and no issue at Kate?
Isn't there a whole thread about OV?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:34 am

This is really not the appropriate thread for this discussion, go check out MO Purchases using OV @ WM
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Wiirachay

So far, so good.
My Cap1 card does something very similar to this when I load my US Bank Buxx card. The load will immediately impact my available balance for cash advance, but posts as a purchase. I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully this is the case here too.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:49 am

Lowered my cash advance on my Chase IHG MC to $20 and loaded $200 last night and today. Everything seems to have worked fine.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:14 am

My 10/1 posted as normal, got 500 pts for it and no cash advance fee popped up on CHASE FREEDOM, my 10/2 is pending.

My cash advance limit was at 100 of 600 until i paid it down immediately and now its at 600 again even with the pending serve load.

So it looks like it is a cash advance then on freedom? Even though I got points on the purchase?

Last edited by fredcol; Oct 3, 2014 at 9:15 am Reason: format
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:16 am

I called Chase to set my UA Explorer to $0. The lady on the phone said she couldn't do it. If set to $0, then it becomes unlimited. *whatever* So she set mine to $1 instead. Oh well. Whatever works. as long as limit is low enough then i dont care.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Can confirm that my Chase Hyatt card is now coding as a cash advance as well. Did 2x$200 loads yesterday and this morning (before I saw the news) and my cash advance limit is down $400. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.