Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:33 am

All you fools who called Chase need to bow out of the MS game...
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: United Silver
It is my understanding this has happened before.. funny how quickly people hop on the bandwagon.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Seriously....these last 2 days I wanted to punch a puppy in the face for each person that freaked out and called Chase and then to add insult to injury had the audacity to bring the issue up to Serve CSRs as well....*smh*.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:36 am

Yeah.. I imagine everyone that's MSing has made atleast $11 in point equivalents, which would cover a $10 CA fee and up to $1 in interest if you're not an idiot and paid it down immediately once you saw the CA limit change.

But then again some people are fed with a golden spoon, and if you take away their easy methods to MS without leaving the couch heads will roll.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Why?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Another data point for y'all...loaded serve\isis on 10/2 with CSP and initially reduced CA by $500. Posted as a purchase this morning but CA was still reduced by $500, Just barely checked now and CA limit back to full. Seems you might just have to wait a bit until after the transaction posts, for the CA limit to re-spawn
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
Most customer service reps and supervisors are unaware. If you bring it to their attention, they will become aware. Whats so hard to understand in that..
And then what? These reps and supervisors point out to the decision makers that people are using Serve to bypass CA? All decision makers already know that.

Again, my point is that you should never call anyway, because of the "eyes on the MS account" issue, but some posters were suggesting that this will cause the shutdown of this avenue, which I find hard to believe.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by deant
Why?
Because one of the traits as a MSer that is just as bad as drawing attention to yourself at stores is impatience. Had people not panicked and called Chase and instead waited until the transaction was posted onto their account, they would have realized that it is still reported as a transaction with the CA going away. In turn it could have just been reported on the threads where its kept more private rather than to call up Chase and Amex and let them know about it. Its fairly obvious why those that did were in the wrong.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Another data point for y'all...loaded serve\isis on 10/2 with CSP and initially reduced CA by $500. Posted as a purchase this morning but CA was still reduced by $500, Just barely checked now and CA limit back to full. Seems you might just have to wait a bit until after the transaction posts, for the CA limit to re-spawn
I'm seeing exactly the same thing. Made payments 3 days in a row (Oct 1,2,3). Initially the amounts were taken out of available CA while transactions were pending. 2 of 3 transactions have now moved to Posted, where they are clearly marked as Sale, with 1x rewards credited. It may take as long as a day after that before the charge disappears from the CA balance. I still have one in pending mode from Oct 3, and that's the only one still reflected in the CA balance.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:18 pm

MODS: Please delete this thread
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Loaded with CSP on 10/1 $500

Tried another $500 today and it says "card issuer declined payment"

Going to have to call in and see what is going on unfortunately, as it seems to be a hold on the card

Obviously I won't bring anything up, I'm no newb, but it is annoying since it is hard enough to get serve to accept CCs
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
It seems that for anyone that has set their CA limit below what you are attempting to load onto serve, the transaction is getting declined. The serve load will temporarily remove funds from your avail. CA limit however, wait a little bit til after the purchase actually posts, and you CA limit will be back to full!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
Loaded with CSP on 10/1 $500

Tried another $500 today and it says "card issuer declined payment"

Going to have to call in and see what is going on unfortunately, as it seems to be a hold on the card

Obviously I won't bring anything up, I'm no newb, but it is annoying since it is hard enough to get serve to accept CCs
Right. Have the same problem with Discover. Went through 10/1 and 10/2 with no effect on CA. Then 10/4 "card issuer declined payment."

Makes no sense, though, since I have a CA available and alerts set up for declined payments, and am getting nothing from Discover. Don't think I'll call in, quite yet, if ever. Though if I do, I'll try serve first.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
It seems that for anyone that has set their CA limit below what you are attempting to load onto serve, the transaction is getting declined. The serve load will temporarily remove funds from your avail. CA limit however, wait a little bit til after the purchase actually posts, and you CA limit will be back to full!
This is how it's always been for me on every CC and I've never had CA fee
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
i find it comical how letopeto started this thread after only being on this forum less than one month and managed to get so many FTer's to follow him/her. It's a tragedy and really shows how most* FTer's are so easily misguided and impatient, like it has been said in many threads on FT in different forms "Hit it hard until it dies!"

*those that "remains under lifelong tutelage..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.