Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:11 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Chase is now coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance

As others have stated. My charge for my chase BA card has now posted as a purchase.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:25 pm

Another data point for everyone. I made my first $20 load from my Amazon Rewards Chase Visa on 10/2, my cash advance dropped by $20. It has now posted as a purchase, so I did get points and was not charged a cash advance fee. My cash advance limit is still reduced by $20.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ctbarron
I called Chase and after being transferred, got a very helpful rep in "rewards risk." The rep was not aware of the issue but thanked me for calling and promised a very thorough investigation.

PS Citi HH Reserve does not appear to be a CA, we'll see when it posts. If only there was some place we could keep a running list of which cards are and are not posting as CA's...
Great idea. To many people with no clue what they are doing and reacting way to soon and over a measly $10 fee that never even posted...definitely worth getting eyes scrutinizing your acct
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
As others have stated. My charge for my chase BA card has now posted as a purchase.
My 2 UA Explorer Visa charges posted as purchases, no longer pending. My cash advance limit was always $0.

Can we please change the panic stricken thread title?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by ngocnguyen92
Same here. I just checked my account and the $200 CC load (charged to CSP) on 10/2 posted as a purchase.
Originally Posted by bar19900
I can add that my UA 10/2 posted as a sale and not a cash advance. It also gave me this which I had been working towards :

+ 10,000 Mile bonus on $25,000 spend 10,000.00
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Thank you for the data points!

NOW will people stop calling Chase?!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I don't think the wiki text is big enough for the "DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS"
obvisouly it isn't nearly large enough....because the ......s are still doing it
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mreno43
1. Unless the store has level III processing(which almost no one has), they can't KNOW that you are buying GC, though, of course, a bunch of 1012/505.95 charges are obviously GC purchases. At any rate, it will not code as a cash advance....

2. More generally, STOP freaking out! (And STOP calling in--RULE 1 of MS) As been said multiple times before and is now posted in the wiki, and then completely ignored by the people who apparently want the sky to fall, other charges have initiated as CA, but then POSTED AS PURCHASES. Until it actually posts, this is speculation and calling in just draws attention to your activities. Worst case, it posts as a CA, you pay it now, and you're out the 20 bucks you made doing this last month. Chill.
Not true at all...many stores have this, almost all of them, that are used by MS'ers frequently
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Ritz-Carlton. Oct. 2. $200 load. 200 points earned. Posted same as all the other loads from Oct. 1 and prior. Looks like this is about as apocalyptic as last month's Avios devaluation panic.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:40 pm

Had the same issue as others with my Marriott card. Pending as a cash advance, posted as a purchase. I am guessing this will be shut down soon thanks to all the idiots who jumped off the ledge and called Chase to complain. That's like calling the cops because the drug dealer shorted you on your ounce. At least I got my last $1500 of MS in.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:44 pm

Loaded $200 on 10/1 and 10/2 to Serve with a MP card. Both posted as sales as of tonight. The 10/2 load did reduce CA limit by $200 until posted and kept me on edge all day today after reading things here but all good! No calls to chase please (coming from a newbie... but now I have enough miles for a trip to Europe with SWMBO!)
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CoreyB
Another data point for everyone. I made my first $20 load from my Amazon Rewards Chase Visa on 10/2, my cash advance dropped by $20. It has now posted as a purchase, so I did get points and was not charged a cash advance fee. My cash advance limit is still reduced by $20.
Welcome to FT, and thanks for the data point!

One question, why have the Amazon Rewards Chase Visa? Freedom gets you 5% back this quarter, and you can buy Amazon GC at many category-bonus stores.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by 0limits
Welcome to FT, and thanks for the data point!

One question, why have the Amazon Rewards Chase Visa? Freedom gets you 5% back this quarter, and you can buy Amazon GC at many category-bonus stores.
It was my first rewards card, now I have the Sallie Mae World Mastercard that I use for gas, groceries, and Amazon. I mainly just use the Amazon card for restaurants (2% cash back) and (hopefully) Serve.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by lazarus89
My $200 Serve load on a Chase BA from 10/2 just posted as a sale and earned avios nicely.

I do see my CA limit dinged by $200 though -- perhaps a gremlin in their systems?
AKA stuff everyone who ever loaded TD Buxx xards with Citi or bought Amex GCs with US Bank or Discover card already knew....
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:29 pm

Chase Ink Bold card, $500 loaded on Serve posted as purchase today !!!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:38 pm

So can we all agree that those who requested CA to $0 are all screwed now. Way to go to overreact. Haha...has anyone actually called Chase to retract their $0 CA request. That is going to be an awkward conversation.

NOTE: I am not trying to advocate calling Chase about the Serve thing...that horse has been beaten to death.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Oct 3, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.