Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mistressjaime
I was told when I went through checkout today that they couldn't load bluebird with debit there, that I should go to the money center. It loaded fine as usual. Mid-Michigan.
I was told: "are you trying to use a debit card? you have to use credit for that."

Think about that for a minute.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by BenH
Ugh.....yeah, first time I have ever had issues loading OV at my WM.
Kiosk works fine but both the money center and regular cashiers kept coming up as credit.
I knew there was supposed to be some trick to do with the keypad, though I've never done it before. I will be going back later this afternoon and will try to do the cancel trick. This is going to make thinks much more annoying however...even if it does work.
Ok, so I had 2x$500 more to load this evening and tried my first swipe back up at a register while checking out.

I was a little distracted, but the process on the old POS terminals didn't seem to be exactly like the wiki said. What's confusing, at least at my WM, is the POS screen flickers a lot like it is going to move to another screen, but doesn't. Also weird stuff like it never takes the card on the first swipe (even if I wait a few seconds.

Anyway, the procedure was similar to the wiki in that after I swiped my card I hit cancel but it wasn't saying "Waiting for cashier" - it's possible that I hit it before it could say that, but I wasn't sure how much time I had. Also, the wiki post seems to state that *I* would have to type in the amount, but I didn't. I just had to hit the cancel, then ATM/Debit, and then I think no cash back and that was it. I think I did have to *confirm* that it was $500 - but that was before swiping my card.

I only did it once and loaded my last one at the kiosk - but at least I know it is possible. I think it is probably better to do this with non Money Center cashiers as they tend not to know the process as well so aren't as concerned when something happens out of the ordinary.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: UR(ink bold; Freedom), Skymiles Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold)
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Fed one bird today. Same experience -- didn't work twice, had to hit the cancel pretty damn fast. Once past that, no problem. In Indiana.
Indiana here too. Same experience today. You have to be ON IT when hitting cancel/change payment. Once today the cashier was super quick on the draw when the "credit card" button popped up.

However, like the WIKI states and like has been mentioned, this is the exact same process I have been using for MC debits from Staples for months
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by BenH
Ok, so I had 2x$500 more to load this evening and tried my first swipe back up at a register while checking out.

I was a little distracted, but the process on the old POS terminals didn't seem to be exactly like the wiki said. What's confusing, at least at my WM, is the POS screen flickers a lot like it is going to move to another screen, but doesn't. Also weird stuff like it never takes the card on the first swipe (even if I wait a few seconds.

Anyway, the procedure was similar to the wiki in that after I swiped my card I hit cancel but it wasn't saying "Waiting for cashier" - it's possible that I hit it before it could say that, but I wasn't sure how much time I had. Also, the wiki post seems to state that *I* would have to type in the amount, but I didn't. I just had to hit the cancel, then ATM/Debit, and then I think no cash back and that was it. I think I did have to *confirm* that it was $500 - but that was before swiping my card.

I only did it once and loaded my last one at the kiosk - but at least I know it is possible. I think it is probably better to do this with non Money Center cashiers as they tend not to know the process as well so aren't as concerned when something happens out of the ordinary.
Just FYI...after you confirm the $500 on the card reader, the screen needs to refresh twice when it tells you to 'slide your card' before you should start to swipe your card. The first few times I did this, I started swiping my OV after the first time i saw the 'slide your card' screen and it didn't work since it was in the process of refreshing the card reader screen a second time.

Also what is dramatically different in your experience than what the wiki said? I loaded $2K at a WM with the old POS terminals earlier today and it worked like the wiki said.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

First time I have seen a fellow MSer in my place. Was in WM today to get a $1K MO. The fellow MSer was standing ahead of me, holding one OV and BB Card.

He went near CSR, and asked to load $500. Tried like 4-5 times, all declined and shown as credit. The CSR was very surprised for this, and she told him to hold for a while and go the neighbor Lane and try there. I was just behind him. He tried two times on the Neighbor lane, and no go. Guess he doesn't know the workaround yet. But this did made the CSR to have a brief look at the card, and therby drawing their attention. I just wanted to go ahead and help him. But just refrained, did not wanted to drag attention from that guy, CSR and others behind in the line.

I went next. CSR knew me well, Before I spoke a word, she said $999.51 right? Just one or two? I said one. Later she automatically did $500 Debit, but still I took 5 swipes to get this successful.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by deaconx31
Indiana here too. Same experience today. You have to be ON IT when hitting cancel/change payment. Once today the cashier was super quick on the draw when the "credit card" button popped up.

However, like the WIKI states and like has been mentioned, this is the exact same process I have been using for MC debits from Staples for months
Why not ask the cashier to wait for you to hit cancel?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:47 pm

Anybody who was able to load successfully see their transaction from pending credit to complete status yet? I had the load with workaround from friday still pending...I would keep the prepaid till complete in case of the reversal...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by newuser0
But this did made the CSR to have a brief look at the card, and therby drawing their attention. I just wanted to go ahead and help him. But just refrained, did not wanted to drag attention from that guy, CSR and others behind in the line.
I think that if there was an easy way to discretely help him and the CSR get it right, I would do it. If the CSR can't get it to work, they may just stop allowing it. This happens all the time. It's the classic "It doesn't work, we already tried it".

It may also attract the attention of managers, then it will become official policy to deny similar cards.

I would just be like "Oh hey, I know how to make it work. I was here yesterday and we had the same problem. The girl that was working here showed me how to do it. Here is what she said....blah blah blah"
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:02 pm

Has anyone tried to use OV with the PIN already enabled? Last week I had a OV that was declined when I tried to load BB at WM, so I just used it for various purchases around town. I set the PIN at first use. Today I was back at WM with the family and decided to try it again. Guess what? It worked just fine.

I plan to test my theory out tomorrow, but I'm thinking that maybe to software update was to only allow pin enabled debit cards. Technically, OV is not pin enabled at first use. Maybe this just forces OV to be used as USB and Metabank cards are in some places.

So, has anyone seen reports of OV with a set PIN being declined?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by traveler9020
Has anyone tried to use OV with the PIN already enabled? Last week I had a OV that was declined when I tried to load BB at WM, so I just used it for various purchases around town. I set the PIN at first use. Today I was back at WM with the family and decided to try it again. Guess what? It worked just fine.

I plan to test my theory out tomorrow, but I'm thinking that maybe to software update was to only allow pin enabled debit cards. Technically, OV is not pin enabled at first use. Maybe this just forces OV to be used as USB and Metabank cards are in some places.

I never preset PINs on OVs. Never had a problem, including today when I used the work around to load some BBs. 1243 every time.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by traveler9020

Originally Posted by payeco
I never preset PINs on OVs. Never had a problem, including today when I used the work around to load some BBs. 1243 every time.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think what traveler9020 is saying is that perhaps if you preset a PIN (even though we all know its not required) on your OVs before you go to WM to do BB/Serve loading, MO, BP, etc, you won't have to do the "Cancel" workaround. That in some way the WM register software update made the card reader look for debit cards that have a preset PIN on them. I am not expert but perhaps somehow the magnetic stripe is coded differently or the information read by the carder reader is different once a PIN is set.

I think most of us that use OVs are so use to not presetting a PIN before hand since its not required unlike the Metabank VGCs. Perhaps that might even be why the Metabank VGCs were not affected by the software update. Maybe this is the workaround if you don't want to deal with hitting "Cancel" on the card reader.

Traveler9020....thanks for bringing up this point. I think we will all be interested to see if we can gather some data points on this where people preset a PIN on their OVs and see if they have to do the "Cancel" workaround.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Jun 2, 2014 at 1:26 am
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Correct me if I am wrong but I think what traveler9020 is saying is that perhaps if you preset a PIN (even though we all know its not required) on your OVs before you go to WM to do BB/Serve loading, MO, BP, etc, you won't have to do the "Cancel" workaround. That in some way the WM register software update made the card reader look for debit cards that have a preset PIN on them. I am not expert but perhaps somehow the magnetic stripe is coded differently once a PIN is set.

I think most of us that use OVs are so use to not presetting a PIN before hand since its not required unlike the Metabank VGCs. Perhaps that might even be why the Metabank VGCs were not affected by the software update. Maybe this is the workaround if you don't want to deal with hitting "Cancel" on the card reader.

Traveler9020....thanks for bringing up this point. I think we will all be interested to see if we can gather some data points on this where people preset a PIN on their OVs and see if they have to do the "Cancel" workaround.
You may be right in your interpretation. When he said declined, I thought he meant it was actually declined. If he just meant it required the workaround then this could certainly be interesting. I set pins for my Metabank VGCs anyway so I don't have to be looking at the front of the card with "GIFT CARD" on it when I swipe. If this is the case that would certainly be welcome news. If you can set the pin over the phone as quickly as you can for Metabank VGCs that would be great.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:01 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Correct me if I am wrong but I think what traveler9020 is saying is that perhaps if you preset a PIN (even though we all know its not required) on your OVs before you go to WM to do BB/Serve loading, MO, BP, etc, you won't have to do the "Cancel" workaround. That in some way the WM register software update made the card reader look for debit cards that have a preset PIN on them. I am not expert but perhaps somehow the magnetic stripe is coded differently once a PIN is set.

^ great insight, guys!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by payeco
You may be right in your interpretation. When he said declined, I thought he meant it was actually declined. If he just meant it required the workaround then this could certainly be interesting. I set pins for my Metabank VGCs anyway so I don't have to be looking at the front of the card with "GIFT CARD" on it when I swipe. If this is the case that would certainly be welcome news. If you can set the pin over the phone as quickly as you can for Metabank VGCs that would be great.
Originally Posted by FTRox87
^ great insight, guys!
I haven't confirmed if you can set your PIN over the phone or online yet so this might not still be possible.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:48 am

As far as I know you can't "pre-set" a PIN w. OV / Vanilla GCs, online or phone. "I'll have one banana, please, paying with 10 different gift cards."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.