Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by payeco
All the reports I've seen on here say USB VGCs work as they always have. No need to change the payment type. Did you actually try it without doing anything?
I might have screwed up. I was doing split tender with VGCs so I was hitting Change Payment like crazy and I ran the VGCs first. So I might have changed from debit to credit, causing me to Change Payment again to get it back to Debit. I will try a money order with just split tender using only USB and let everyone know how it works later this week.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:20 pm

Went to Walmart, loaded two OV to bb with no problem. Change payment, so on. But I tried loading two different serve cards, multiple times, multiple OVs tried, for $500. Multiple registers, went to money enter. The pin terminal says "approved" but then a little slip of paper prints out that says "debit not approved call authorizer".
Any suggestions?

Last edited by psone; Jun 1, 2014 at 3:35 pm
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by psone
Went to Walmart, loaded two OV to bb with no problem. Change payment, so on. But I tried loading two different serve cards, multiple times, for $500. Multiple registers, went to money enter. The pin terminal says "approved" but then a little slip of paper prints out that says "debit not approved call authorizer".
Any suggestions?
Did you hit your monthly limit? I had that happen to me a few times until I realized I hit the monthly limit.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:34 pm

Nope. It's the 1st of the month. Nothing loaded this month to either card.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:20 pm

Data point.

Worked fine with the "old pos" process. It initially came up as credit, which surprised the associate in the service center since he knows me from previous MO purchases. I think it surprised him more when I responded, "Oh, well let me fix that for you." and ran through the wiki process.

This does seem like it may be a larger issue in WM's system. I made a purchase after picking up my MO and saw two different customers in the self check lines have issues getting their bank account debit cards to process. I can honestly say I have never encountered even a single decline situation in self check over years of shopping at this WM.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
How do you know he was MSing, and how do you know the delay wasn't caused by the cashiers?

At my WM, the cashiers seem to enjoy doing 4-card-swipe MOs over the usual returns with no receipt and people wiring money and paying with stacks of $20s that need to be counted twice. I don't do BB loading or bill pay, so I don't know how much time they take, but my MO purchases are fast compared to the other transactions I see while waiting in line.
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
If you want to believe any little thing without verification, go ahead. I'm not that credulous.
Uhm, because I was next to him? And I watched him?

I don't conjecture.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Uhm, because I was next to him? And I watched him?

I don't conjecture.
Don't waste your time.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by TheMacallan
Data point.

This does seem like it may be a larger issue in WM's system. I made a purchase after picking up my MO and saw two different customers in the self check lines have issues getting their bank account debit cards to process. I can honestly say I have never encountered even a single decline situation in self check over years of shopping at this WM.
It will be interesting to see how they respond to this. If the goal of eliminating gift cards (VGC's only, so far) turns away other customers, WM will have to make a fix. Whether the fix creates more issues or not, time will tell....
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:57 pm

WM OV

my local WM in NYS is still working with the new system. I loaded 1k each to 2 BB/1Serve and 1500 to GoBank and 1500 in MO. Used asst of OV and VGC. (from metabank)All Sun AM at 8:00AM. had to use the workaround though. But the Wiki might be incorrect. At my WM I had to immediately push the cancel button ON THE ACTUAL TERMINAL not on the screen. The cancel button on the screen just cancels the entire transaction. After pushing the cancel button on the actual terminal , the screen then went to the pin number and all went fine. Also the CS rep was great. When I followed the Wiki, and pushed the cancel button on screen everything cancelled. The rep told me to push the cancel button on the terminal (very fast) as she had the same thing last PM and figured it out. No money machine here.. Maybe this store is different. They still use the same old terminal. Hope this helps someone. But one weird thing... if I pushed the cancel button very fast (nano second) the terminal went to the pin screen, and then "approved" screen. if I pushed it a second late the terminal went to the screen with the options, top left button on screen had "debit/ATM. Then pushed that button and then got the Cash back screen (pressed no) and then pin. But you have to be fast.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Just loaded two BBs with $1K each at the cashier lines with OVs and had to use the work around method. The second cashier was super quick and kept hitting the screen before I could hit cancel so the sig screen would come up. Hit cancel on sig screen. Swiped again and beat her to cancel on the second swipe with both cards.

$2K in MOs at the MC with the Metabank VGCs with no issue of course.

Can't wait to hit $6500 with my new Amex BC after which I get 5% back at grocery stores so it won't be a problem to go with mainly the Metabank VGCs from here on out until/unless this gets fixed. My local Giant has a $5K a day limit so it can supplement CVS for now.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
And then he went on to say to me...

"...So I figured, hey, these cards are supposed to have a PIN so we can use them to get our money off, right? This is what the Dodd-Frank law was all about.

To find out that Incomm, the backer of these, most widely sold and used GC out there, contacted Walmart and asked them to find a way to block any use of their cards to enter a PIN for purchases was shocking!

Indeed, Incomm is taking a bath on the fact that people buy so many of these but they only get to see the transaction activity and $ from like one swipe of $500 every time now. And it's always at Walmarts! So it would make sense for the giant, which is part of the huge Bancorp conglomerate, to search a way to block this if they can.

Walmart agreed, saying the activity with which most people are using these cards for $500 swipes are all at the money center, and they were concerned about potential fraud, not to mention the number of man hours being used up at all the stores in the USA in processing what turn out to be mainly money order purchases and some bill payments, when they could be servicing all the other store customers.

It was then determined that while the cards can in fact still be used for PIN purchases, something was going to be done to make it harder if not next to impossible to do so at Walmart.

Is this illegal? Is there someone skirting the rules of the Dodd-Frank laws? Should we investigate? While a store such as Walmart can deny any customer a purchase, the card being used itself should only deny you if you do not have available funds. It has to have the PIN feature in good working order all the time..."
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by psone
Went to Walmart, loaded two OV to bb with no problem. Change payment, so on. But I tried loading two different serve cards, multiple times, multiple OVs tried, for $500. Multiple registers, went to money enter. The pin terminal says "approved" but then a little slip of paper prints out that says "debit not approved call authorizer".
Any suggestions?
Curious if anyone else had a problem with serve loads? I'm pretty much narrowing it down to them. I went to another WM and tried a kiosk. Failed. Money center, failed. Bought MO, worked fine.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
And then he went on to say to me...

"...So I figured, hey, these cards are supposed to have a PIN so we can use them to get our money off, right? This is what the Dodd-Frank law was all about.

To find out that Incomm, the backer of these, most widely sold and used GC out there, contacted Walmart and asked them to find a way to block any use of their cards to enter a PIN for purchases was shocking!

Indeed, Incomm is taking a bath on the fact that people buy so many of these but they only get to see the transaction activity and $ from like one swipe of $500 every time now. And it's always at Walmarts! So it would make sense for the giant, which is part of the huge Bancorp conglomerate, to search a way to block this if they can.

Walmart agreed, saying the activity with which most people are using these cards for $500 swipes are all at the money center, and they were concerned about potential fraud, not to mention the number of man hours being used up at all the stores in the USA in processing what turn out to be mainly money order purchases and some bill payments, when they could be servicing all the other store customers.

It was then determined that while the cards can in fact still be used for PIN purchases, something was going to be done to make it harder if not next to impossible to do so at Walmart.

Is this illegal? Is there someone skirting the rules of the Dodd-Frank laws? Should we investigate? While a store such as Walmart can deny any customer a purchase, the card being used itself should only deny you if you do not have available funds. It has to have the PIN feature in good working order all the time..."
delete

Last edited by traveler9020; Jun 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm Reason: delete
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
Successful across 4 different cards today, just hit the cancel button quickly after swiping... same process that was in the wiki... this was on an older monochrome machine, in NJ
Fed one bird today. Same experience -- didn't work twice, had to hit the cancel pretty damn fast. Once past that, no problem. In Indiana.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:12 pm

I was told when I went through checkout today that they couldn't load bluebird with debit there, that I should go to the money center. It loaded fine as usual. Mid-Michigan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.