Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Went 2/6 with OVs last night at WM (some at Kate and some at registers). Not great but better than nothing!! Will try the other 4 again tonight.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by silver6054
If and when Walmart shut down OV/VGC, it will be for legal or financial reasons. Not because their low-paid cashiers are getting annoyed or that the lines are long. The lines are always long, MS is a tiny fraction of their customers, and most of the highly empowered walmart customers will just suck it up. And the happiness or otherwise of their staff, well, I don't think that figures much in their decision making.
If Walmart corporate headquarters decides to shut down the whole thing nationwide, it will likely be for legal or financial reasons. However, the store manager could very well decide to shut it down locally because the cashiers are annoyed or suspicious.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cbn42
If Walmart corporate headquarters decides to shut down the whole thing nationwide, it will likely be for legal or financial reasons. However, the store manager could very well decide to shut it down locally because the cashiers are annoyed or suspicious.
:-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-:
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
One other thing I was wondering....are people no longer waiting 10 minutes between 4 transactions? It's taking me about 7 or 8 minutes at Kate to get 4 MOs. Is there any reason to wait 10 minutes, or is 5 enough do you think? Maybe somebody with a friendlier Walmart can test this out?
You just spent about 40 minutes (assuming you were constantly loading your 18 cards). Why do you test it out and report back?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
...the store manager could very well decide to shut it down locally because the cashiers are annoyed or suspicious.
Not likely. Store managers at Walmart don't make many independent decisions.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:48 pm

FWIW a good manager in any profession doesn't necessarily need empowerment from his management, in order to guide policy that's implemented by his subordinates. He's earned the subordinates' trust and respect -- they will do what he wants them to do.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by deant
You just spent about 40 minutes (assuming you were constantly loading your 18 cards). Why do you test it out and report back?
My store is giving out MO for only the second time in 18 months. I'm not locking up that machine on purpose! And it was a lot longer than 40 minutes.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by JATR4
Sadly it is too easy to simply tape an "Out of order" sign on Kate to make the day a little easier for the team.

My local WM has disabled Kate and seems to ignore my kind requests to keep it running.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
FWIW a good manager in any profession doesn't necessarily need empowerment from his management, in order to guide policy that's implemented by his subordinates. He's earned the subordinates' trust and respect -- they will do what he wants them to do.
Seriously? In a WM?

The other day I was at the CS counter of a regular WMT. The store manager asked the cashier for the code of something. Cashier told him and off he went. Then cashier rolled her eyes and whispered to me, "and he is the manager who is supposed to know..." I felt obligated to say some "comforting" words to the poor cashier in the line of how it is always the low level employees do all the work and the higher ups get all the credits...

The only reasons the subordinates listen and obey the orders is because the store management have absolute say on these subordinates job... and most of these subordinates do rely on their jobs to pay bills...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I'm not a person that gets angry easily, but that's a really stupid response.

I'll argue the opposite. If you DON'T find that to be a problem, then MS might not be right for you.

My goal in MS is to minimize costs, time, and risk. Maybe you have no life, or no other job and want to spend your time traveling the state picking up $500 one store at a time, but I don't.

Honestly I don't have much of a life, (no family and off on the summers) and I STILL don't want to spend my time driving in circles.
The goal of MS is to manufacture spend. It costs money and time, and is risky.

If this is causing you to get angry and attempt to insult people, you really need to reconsider. MS isn't going to fulfill you.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sechs

If this is causing you to get angry and attempt to insult people, you really need to reconsider. MS isn't going to fulfill you.
He didn't insult anyone -- he denigrated the response, not the person. And the time each of us is willing to spend on MS is up to us. Just because it takes time doesn't mean you need to spend more time unnecessarily.

Some people make money on MS, by the way.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sechs

He does not get angry. He is giving his own view point which by and large actually make a lot of sense to me.

The way I read the exchange, YOU are the one who insults others by posting the comment such as that "MS is not for you" while your perspective does not necessary mean the same as others' perspective when it comes to MS.

And MS does NOT always cost money when everything nets out. Just so it costs Money for you to do MS, does not mean it costs others as well. There are people actually make quite a tidy sum thru MS.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
He didn't insult anyone -- he denigrated the response, not the person. And the time each of us is willing to spend on MS is up to us. Just because it takes time doesn't mean you need to spend more time unnecessarily.

Some people make money on MS, by the way.
Exactly. But there are those who cannot differentiate such... or dont have the concept of efficiency.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
How would you, or poster, know what is irritating or annoying to the cashiers at my WM? And who decides that only one swipe is the allowed number, as mbaker4096 seems to be asserting? My main cavil, though, is that poster makes the absolute declaration that swiping more that once will kill this. There's no way poster can even begin to know.
Sure, your cashiers just LOVE people who come in and swipe multiple times, cause, you know, they like nothing better than to stand around wasting their time Those people behind you have nothing better to do than cool their heels while you swipe merrily away. Crikey.

Penny wise, pound foolish.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by JATR4
Rubbish. Happens all the time. The vast majority of WM managers near me have exercised their "independence" by all but closing off MSing using vgc. Either with draconian policies (low limits) or outright bans on accepting vgc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.