Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
I don't think that's the case as I tried 10 different cards multiple times each and couldn't get a single one to work. This is at two different WallyWorlds.
Did you try them at Kate, or cashier?

Because if you were doing it with a cashier, then you also have to do the "change payment type" trick.

I had about 50% success on first swipe, but 100% by the 3rd swipe.

If you are 0/10, I think you are doing something.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by wpast
Did anyone call the customer service number at Walmart yet to complain that they are not taking OVs?? Hahahahaha!
Historically, I have been in the "do not call, ever" camp, but I'm starting to think that a complaint to Visa International may be order. They have a very firm "honor all" rule, that doesn't allow merchants to discriminate between different cards bearing the Visa logo. So, if they have programmed their system to disallow cards issued by certain issuers, then this seems to be a violation of Visa's acceptance rules.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuphat
Historically, I have been in the "do not call, ever" camp, but I'm starting to think that a complaint to Visa International may be order. They have a very firm "honor all" rule, that doesn't allow merchants to discriminate between different cards bearing the Visa logo. So, if they have programmed their system to disallow cards issued by certain issuers, then this seems to be a violation of Visa's acceptance rules.
Reward:

All cards are accepted at WM

Risk:

No cards are accepted anywhere for anything MS related

Risk/reward ratio=0/infinity, still equals zero

0 not as in zero risk, but bad bad decision.

Rule #1:
DO NOT CALL EVER
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:22 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by member7777
Reward:

Risk:

Rule #1:
DO NOT CALL EVER
Well Said!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by jasonvr
VVGC dead for me today at 2x WM. First one didn't have a Kate and bombed out at the register. Second one had my usually reliable Kate, who gobbled up 3x VVGC on Tuesday, but no such luck today. Error codes are all over the map: 51, 57, 12.

Also got a very weird print out, in the middle of my transaction, twice:
Code:
  **** REFRESH TERM CONFIGURATION ****
*  C-APPLICATI Jul  1 2014 15:06:51  *
*  METROLOGICAL CHECKSUM = 2785      *
Anyone ever seen something like this?

Edit:
Looks like others have reported this as well. First time I've seen it on my Kate

Got the same thing at my WM Kate yesterday. Was a bit worried because kate was not responding for about 45 sec before working again.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Did you try them at Kate, or cashier?

Because if you were doing it with a cashier, then you also have to do the "change payment type" trick.

I had about 50% success on first swipe, but 100% by the 3rd swipe.

If you are 0/10, I think you are doing something.
Kate and cashier. I know what I'm doing, but thanks for trying to paint me as some sort of imbecile.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by member7777
Reward:

Risk:

Rule #1:
DO NOT CALL EVER
I think you got your risk/reward ratio messed up, but the point is absolutely spot on!

Risk = ∞
Reward = something significantly less than ∞ (i.e. a finite number)

Thus, Risk:Reward is ∞:<finite> which is very, very, very bad

http://forextrading.about.com/od/bas...kreward_ro.htm

What is a Good Risk-Reward Ratio?

The minimum risk-reward ratio for a Forex trade is 1:2. However, a larger ratio is better. An acceptable risk-reward ratio for beginning traders is 1:3. Any number below 1:3 is too risky so the trade should be avoided. Never enter a trade in which the risk-reward ratio is 1:1 or the risk outweighs the reward.
Even if the reward were ∞, it would still be a "bad trade"
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:29 am

But the infinite risk really isn't very realistic is it?

It could be the case that if someone doesn't report it by Aug 14th, aliens, for their own unknowable reasons, will totally destroy the earth. Which some might think is even worse than the death of MS.

Much more likely is that Visa will choose not to confront what must be one of their bigger customers.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by silver6054
It could be the case that if someone doesn't report it by Aug 14th, aliens, for their own unknowable reasons, will totally destroy the earth. Which some might think is even worse than the death of MS.
Who:
Vogons

Why:
Hyperspatial express route
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:03 pm

less bickering, and more data please. Anybody else want to report their attempts from today?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
2/2 at the MC, but one of the OVs needed 2 tries. I got a card read error initially that went away at a different transaction.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:17 pm

Got 3 out of 6 to work on Friday but 0 out of 5 today.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by tuphat
I would stay in the 'do not call' camp and let it be.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
less bickering, and more data please. Anybody else want to report their attempts from today?
Total success in DFW @ Kate. OV, VV, SM, USB all worked all weekend.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:53 pm

3/3 of my Vanillas worked at Kate today. Two of them went through first try, the third took 6 swipes before it worked. Also, to whoever left their gift card packaging all over the kiosk, you are an idiot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.