Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pwd847
That is entirely up to you. My advice would be to stay away from the Crap1 Venture.

Now go out and do some reading and make your decision!
Why not capital one?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pwd847
For the second time today....

Yup, oh well.

Actually no. I disagree. If I complain about my own personal information just laying out where anyone can grab it and take a look, I think there is a chance something will be done about it. Further more if I bring this to the attention of corporate, I don't see how they cannot address a security risk of that magnitude. Will it help me to M$? Most certainly not, but if I see this supposed binder just thrown in an unlocked drawer somewhere I will raise hell about it. That is a very unproffesional way to store peoples information.
Please do, and report back here on what response(s) you get from either the store manager or the corporate...

If what you claim to do would have changed an iota of WM behavior, it would have been done many moons ago - FYI, using WM as a vehicle to MS has been going on for YEARS. Nothing has ever changed when it comes to how they handle the forms.

Oh, there were many who have proclaimed the same thing just like you.... If that ever has any effect on WM, nobody has seen any, just so you know. But, since you are so confident and energetic, please do go right ahead and let us know if you succeed. May be you would finally bring about the much needed change. lol.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 17, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I can confirm from a Simon manager (at least for that specific mall in DFW) that they just file it away in the mall office. I wouldn't be so concerned about giving your information to Simon as there isn't anything too valuable to put on it (like a SSN).

Now on the other hand, if you are using SMGCs for WM MOs or BP and WM wants you to fill out a SAR report, I'd think twice about putting your real information and SSN on the form. All the WMs I frequent keep it in a binder in the customer service center in plain sight. Someone could literally just walk off with the binder. I am NOT comfortable with WM employees having that data. Especially considering the turnover and lack of pay they receive.
Thanks! Will go back to Simons
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by switchyj
Thanks! Will go back to Simons
At one of the Simons by me they just file it in a room connected to the info desk. They make me buy one card at an amount less than $500. The biggest thing they look for at my simon is whether someone is a return purchaser before authorizing a large amount. I just need another $18k by July 25th or so, but can spillover to the next month if needed.

Switch the general feedback I got was that it's better to fill out the paperwork and have a record of it. It appeared that if the CS went back in the room and found my previous form that she wouldn't have needed to call her manager.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:32 am

Thanks Chelski!

What would be the most innocent way to ask "What's the maximum I can buy without having to give you my SSN"?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by switchyj
Thanks Chelski!

What would be the most innocent way to ask "What's the maximum I can buy without having to give you my SSN"?
The SM form doesn't ask for SSN. Just Personal Info like name, address, state DL or ID. Everywhere it should be $3k because of the financial transaction laws. Just say you bought before and didn't have to fill out paperwork, but reread the opinions on the thread regarding the SM paperwork. At WM maybe you don't want to fill it out, but at other places it might be good. We discussed the SM paperwork during the past two weeks on this thread.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:07 pm

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:13 pm

After knowing most of the CSRs at a Boston's mall, I didn't need to fill up the form and could just email the manager about my orders.

I moved a few months ago and some luck finally struck today when I was being assisted by a manager. I handed her a pre-filled form which she appreciated and noted she wished everybody would do the same. I told her about my experience in Boston, she then handed me her business card and said I could do the same here too.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
Why not capital one?
If you do the math, which has already been done for you, any 2% CB card gets more CB up until $45,000 is spent per year. At that point the Barclay's card overtakes the 2% CB cards by $1 in total profited CB. That calculation was made before the recent devaluation of the Arrival +. The Venture stayed in last place no matter how much you spend.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:23 pm

FYI, got denied this weekend for the first time on a second $10k order in same day at a different mall. Been doing this with wife for a year now without having the FinCen $10k per person per retailer rule brought up (gray area if it even applies). Dept of Homeland Security wannabe belittled me for having already purchased $10k earlier in the day (she checked computer which is a first). I've had troubles with this same person for saying it was a federal rule that each card had to have a sleeve, so I don't know if Simon is telling CSRs to follow the rules more strictly now or a one-off case. Will keep all informed next round of purchases.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
FYI, got denied this weekend for the first time on a second $10k order in same day at a different mall. Been doing this with wife for a year now without having the FinCen $10k per person per retailer rule brought up (gray area if it even applies). Dept of Homeland Security wannabe belittled me for having already purchased $10k earlier in the day (she checked computer which is a first). I've had troubles with this same person for saying it was a federal rule that each card had to have a sleeve, so I don't know if Simon is telling CSRs to follow the rules more strictly now or a one-off case. Will keep all informed next round of purchases.
I don't have a data point with respect to the issue you had, but I do know they shave upgraded their systems. Processing 18-20 cards take about half the time it used to take (at least at my location in NOVA). The lady who helps me confirmed they upgraded their system. It's nice going in and them already having the form filled out for you.

I did learn that they really need you to sign the paper because she forgot to have me sign it and called me up to return. Luckily I hadn't left the mall before she realized the error.

One question: I keep calling to set a pin. On SM cards is the pin automatically the last four digits? I ordered one online and that SM card was set to the last four digits. The calling to set a pin is a pain but I've figured out when to start entering each part.

Last edited by Chelski; Jul 20, 2015 at 8:41 pm
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chelski
One question: I keep calling to set a pin. On SM cards is the pin automatically the last four digits? I ordered one online and that SM card was set to the last four digits. The calling to set a pin is a pain but I've figured out when to start entering each part.
The default pin is always the last 4 digits. I think I set the first one I ever bought to my MS default PIN and then stopped bothering because it wasn't worth the effort.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Hey - any help appreciated here...

I did the SM gift card thing once. It was a pain to have to drive to mall, then drive to Walmart then do the check request online.

any way to do SM all online? it would help a lot!

thx!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624

I did the SM gift card thing once. It was a pain to have to drive to mall, then drive to Walmart then do the check request online.

thx!
Which SM and which WM are you going to? Guessing by your username you're in the Boston area?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624

thx!
Check request online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.