Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
There are four cash reload options listed on the Emerald site. The question is whether any of their outlets will accept either credit cards directly or debit cards purchased through a portal with a credit card.

Rapid Reload at WalMart
1. Take your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard® and cash, payroll or government benefits check to any register at a participating Walmart (Rapid Reload not available in VT and WY).
2. If you have a check, the cashier will cash your check (Check cashing not available in NJ, NY, RI. Check cashing fees apply).
3. Swipe your Emerald Card and add all or part of your cash directly to it-load up to $1,000 as long as you don't exceed the card load limits. A service fee of $3.74 applies.

GreenDot Money Pak
1. Pick up a MoneyPak® from your participating neighborhood retailer.
2. Go to the register and add cash to the MoneyPak (up to $500 at most locations, up to $1,000 at Walmart). A service fee of up to $4.95 applies.

MoneyGram
1. Fill out the blue form or pick up the MoneyGram phone. Provide the following information:
Company Name: Emerald Card
Receive Code: 4941
Account Number: Your Emerald Card Number
2. Add the funds you want and the $3.95 fee.
3. Keep the reference number that confirms your transactions.

Western Union
1. Complete the gray Prepaid Services form and provide the agent with cash for your load amount and the $3.95 fee.
2. Save your receipt with your Money Transfer Control Number

To use your emerald for ach payments:
1. get your information from the direct deposits section of your emerald account
2. go to your bill (CC) and put that information in as your new payee
3. schedule your payment using that payee for the amount loaded to your emerald card. Posts next day and shows up as gone next day on emerald.

Please add your comments where necessary......

===
From the T&Cs (April 2015):
  • The maximum amount of cash value you may load to your Card Account each day is $999.99.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per day is four (4).
  • The maximum amount of cash value that you may load to your Card Account each month is $9,500.00.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per month is ten (10).

• The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from an ATM per day is $3,000.00 per card.
  • The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from a participating bank per day is the available balance of your Card Account.
  • The maximum that can be spent per Card per day is $3,500.00.
Print Wikipost

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fuerza
Are you talking about the direct deposit information, their routing number and DD number?
That's the stuff. It's just like a check. Set that up with your bank and ACH pull it over. Also works with AMEX, but requires online chat or phone call...online won't work.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by Hilbe
That's the stuff. It's just like a check. Set that up with your bank and ACH pull it over. Also works with AMEX, but requires online chat or phone call...online won't work.
I don't see how I can pull that from Emerald. I'm trying to use my local credit union's online account but don't see how it works. I was able to link my Emerald Card to my Credit Union as an external account but I don't see where I can pull ACH.

I also have account with USAA and NFCU if that helps. I'd rather use NFCU or my local credit union. Those are my M$ accounts.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Fuerza
I don't see how I can pull that from Emerald. I'm trying to use my local credit union's online account but don't see how it works. I was able to link my Emerald Card to my Credit Union as an external account but I don't see where I can pull ACH.

I also have account with USAA and NFCU if that helps. I'd rather use NFCU or my local credit union. Those are my M$ accounts.
My bank (Discover Bank) let me add it as an external account and lets me do transfers from those external accounts. See if you can find similar functionality. Otherwise, find another bank I suppose.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:44 am
Suspended

My bank (Discover Bank) let me add it as an external account and lets me do transfers from those external accounts. See if you can find similar functionality. Otherwise, find another bank I suppose.
Or do the ACH from the CC/s you want to pay off (except for Amex where you need to call up since Amex online cant handle such along acct #). 1 less step
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:39 pm

Is there a limit by doing this ach payment or even ach pull from Ally Bank?

If I remember this correctly, bill pay from Emerald has a limit of $2500 per payment and it costs $0.95.

Originally Posted by su9062
Emerald card offers one time ach a month. I generally load up and do a pull from a cc account.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Ended up doing the same thing. Discover ACH pull works flawlessly.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by kqxqx
Is there a limit by doing this ach payment or even ach pull from Ally Bank?

If I remember this correctly, bill pay from Emerald has a limit of $2500 per payment and it costs $0.95.
If you initiate the ach transfer from the ally side, you can check your limit on the ally website. For me it's somewhere around 1 million dollars a month. I've been doing this for a while now, and haven't had any issues.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
If you initiate the ach transfer from the ally side, you can check your limit on the ally website. For me it's somewhere around 1 million dollars a month. I've been doing this for a while now, and haven't had any issues.
Thanks. So I guess essentially there is no limit as well if I initiate ACH payment from my credit card? Any one can confirm? Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:38 am
Suspended

My acct is being Closed!

Got a letter today telling me it will be closed 10 days from the date of the letter. Reason they have the right to close any acct at their sole discretion pursuant to their T&CS.

I usually ACHed out by having the CC do it, since BPing some others ran into problems with

No big deal now that RA is gone, since I dont know of any other way to load it using a CC

Just wanted to let others know, good luck to those who still have ways to laod it

btw they said after its closed a check would be sent for any funds taht was still in the acct
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:03 pm

Did you ever break the "max 10 loads per 30 days" rule?

P.S. The cardholder agreement seems to have removed that (recently?), unless I'm blind...
http://www.hrblock.com/bank/pdfs/car...conditions.pdf

Edit: it's 10 per month and it was never in the cardholder agreement, it's online but only visible after login

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Aug 1, 2014 at 12:41 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Can you please share your usage pattern?

Originally Posted by craz
Got a letter today telling me it will be closed 10 days from the date of the letter. Reason they have the right to close any acct at their sole discretion pursuant to their T&CS.

I usually ACHed out by having the CC do it, since BPing some others ran into problems with

No big deal now that RA is gone, since I dont know of any other way to load it using a CC

Just wanted to let others know, good luck to those who still have ways to laod it

btw they said after its closed a check would be sent for any funds taht was still in the acct
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Did you ever break the "max 10 loads per 30 days" rule?

P.S. The cardholder agreement seems to have removed that (recently?), unless I'm blind...
http://www.hrblock.com/bank/pdfs/car...conditions.pdf
if a person loads via Reloadit.com its not possible to load more then the 10 loads if each MP is $500. If anything MP doesnt let you load more then $3500 in any 7 day period, found out the hard way
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by allanfan
Can you please share your usage pattern?
thought I did I ACHed everything having the CC pull the $$ from H&RB. The letter doesnt specify the exact violations only that you broke them and thereby bye-bye

Unless theers a way to still load using a CC (after RA I dont know any) it really doesnt make a difference to me that they are closing it as I have no way to laod it to benefit off it.

Time to call a friend to use their info for another type of DC, where I can still get cards using a CC to replace the H&RB
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:31 am

thought I did I ACHed everything having the CC pull the $$ from H&RB. The letter doesnt specify the exact violations only that you broke them and thereby bye-bye

Unless theers a way to still load using a CC (after RA I dont know any) it really doesnt make a difference to me that they are closing it as I have no way to laod it to benefit off it.

Time to call a friend to use their info for another type of DC, where I can still get cards using a CC to replace the H&RB
By usage pattern, I think he's looking for an idea of how much you were loading and aching out per month...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:37 pm

its not possible to load more then the 10 loads if each MP is $500
There is no 5000/mo load limit re dollars. It's a 10/mo load limit re number of loads, and it's not in the cardholder agreement, it's hidden on the website after having logged in and clicking one of the "Questions" dropdowns.

To maximize longevity, a self-imposed 5000/mo limit isn't a bad idea.

Logistically, if the 10/mo number of loads were enforced by the computer rejecting the 11th load*, then the fact that most MSers load with 500 MPs or similar does point to a 5000/mo limit. But there ARE loads that can exceed 500 (dunno if anybody has done so with CC however).

* I've attempted loads many times that I expected the computer to reject: sometimes it does but other times not, so I'm not convinced it's safe to assume "its not possible to load more then the 10 loads".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.