Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
There are four cash reload options listed on the Emerald site. The question is whether any of their outlets will accept either credit cards directly or debit cards purchased through a portal with a credit card.

Rapid Reload at WalMart
1. Take your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard® and cash, payroll or government benefits check to any register at a participating Walmart (Rapid Reload not available in VT and WY).
2. If you have a check, the cashier will cash your check (Check cashing not available in NJ, NY, RI. Check cashing fees apply).
3. Swipe your Emerald Card and add all or part of your cash directly to it-load up to $1,000 as long as you don't exceed the card load limits. A service fee of $3.74 applies.

GreenDot Money Pak
1. Pick up a MoneyPak® from your participating neighborhood retailer.
2. Go to the register and add cash to the MoneyPak (up to $500 at most locations, up to $1,000 at Walmart). A service fee of up to $4.95 applies.

MoneyGram
1. Fill out the blue form or pick up the MoneyGram phone. Provide the following information:
Company Name: Emerald Card
Receive Code: 4941
Account Number: Your Emerald Card Number
2. Add the funds you want and the $3.95 fee.
3. Keep the reference number that confirms your transactions.

Western Union
1. Complete the gray Prepaid Services form and provide the agent with cash for your load amount and the $3.95 fee.
2. Save your receipt with your Money Transfer Control Number

To use your emerald for ach payments:
1. get your information from the direct deposits section of your emerald account
2. go to your bill (CC) and put that information in as your new payee
3. schedule your payment using that payee for the amount loaded to your emerald card. Posts next day and shows up as gone next day on emerald.

Please add your comments where necessary......

===
From the T&Cs (April 2015):
  • The maximum amount of cash value you may load to your Card Account each day is $999.99.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per day is four (4).
  • The maximum amount of cash value that you may load to your Card Account each month is $9,500.00.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per month is ten (10).

• The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from an ATM per day is $3,000.00 per card.
  • The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from a participating bank per day is the available balance of your Card Account.
  • The maximum that can be spent per Card per day is $3,500.00.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:14 am

MP sucks. I loaded $1k this month to Emerald, a week or so later I tried another $500 and it banned the Emerald card. No use for this unless I can find VR's with CC somewhere.

My advice to anybody who wants to load MP to this card: Do $1k per month, but spread the $500 loads apart like with AP. You'll probably still get banned. Maybe just do $500 per month.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:09 am

Yep MP definitely does suck, posted my bad experience with them in the MP thread. I don't see any further use for the Emerald and will probably cancel both of mine.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Anyone heard of any shut downs?
(Obviously there is no loading activity....)
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Rooks
MP sucks. I loaded $1k this month to Emerald, a week or so later I tried another $500 and it banned the Emerald card. No use for this unless I can find VR's with CC somewhere.

My advice to anybody who wants to load MP to this card: Do $1k per month, but spread the $500 loads apart like with AP. You'll probably still get banned. Maybe just do $500 per month.
I understand you might be at the point to just give up and walk away from the card. If you want to keep going you can call HRB and tell them you lost/accidentally shredded/your dog ate your card and they will mail you a replacement card that will have a new card number and you can again load MP. However, as you stated you will again be shut down by MP unless you go very very slow.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Enclave
I understand you might be at the point to just give up and walk away from the card. If you want to keep going you can call HRB and tell them you lost/accidentally shredded/your dog ate your card and they will mail you a replacement card that will have a new card number and you can again load MP. However, as you stated you will again be shut down by MP unless you go very very slow.
Thanks! I'll just limit to $500 per month.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Has anyone tried loading $1000 at WM using 2 $500 debit cards? I'm wondering if they will take split transaction for this and whether they will charge $3.74 once or twice. I will report my experience, but need to wait another 2 weeks.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

500 max load for rapid reload.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
500 max load for rapid reload.
can use $500 onevanilla visa debit? anyone done it?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by prasha11
can use $500 onevanilla visa debit? anyone done it?
Yes
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
HRB website is advertising a new $1.95 swipe reload fee at 7-eleven...hmm...interesting...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:15 am

Except that they are cash only.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: 1&2
Has anyone tried to use western union at a grocery store using debit (gc) to reload this card?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prasha11
My first load was March 21st, I tried to load today (21+ days) I get the error message. Seems it is not calendar month, nor 21days (someone had mentioned) but rolling 30 days.
Originally Posted by Enclave
I think, but I am not certain, that the monthly cycle depends on when you activated your card. For example, if you received your card from a local HRB office on the 7th and activated the card for use on the 7th this would make your monthly cycle on the 8th of each month. If I received and activated my card on the 22nd, then my account would cycle every month on the 23rd.
I think U are right, I got the card on 3/21 and the 1st load was on 3/21 the 2nd was on 23rd. I was able to load on 4/21 and again today 4/22 (did not have to wait until 23rd, I have some VRs from last month.....) Anyone keeps this Emerald card active? If Yes, how?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:50 am

if i dont have RA, what's the best way to load my HRB now that VRs are gone?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:40 am

Rapid Reload at WM, but that is 3.74 per 500 loaded on top of whatever card fee the loading card had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.