Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
There are four cash reload options listed on the Emerald site. The question is whether any of their outlets will accept either credit cards directly or debit cards purchased through a portal with a credit card.

Rapid Reload at WalMart
1. Take your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid MasterCard® and cash, payroll or government benefits check to any register at a participating Walmart (Rapid Reload not available in VT and WY).
2. If you have a check, the cashier will cash your check (Check cashing not available in NJ, NY, RI. Check cashing fees apply).
3. Swipe your Emerald Card and add all or part of your cash directly to it-load up to $1,000 as long as you don't exceed the card load limits. A service fee of $3.74 applies.

GreenDot Money Pak
1. Pick up a MoneyPak® from your participating neighborhood retailer.
2. Go to the register and add cash to the MoneyPak (up to $500 at most locations, up to $1,000 at Walmart). A service fee of up to $4.95 applies.

MoneyGram
1. Fill out the blue form or pick up the MoneyGram phone. Provide the following information:
Company Name: Emerald Card
Receive Code: 4941
Account Number: Your Emerald Card Number
2. Add the funds you want and the $3.95 fee.
3. Keep the reference number that confirms your transactions.

Western Union
1. Complete the gray Prepaid Services form and provide the agent with cash for your load amount and the $3.95 fee.
2. Save your receipt with your Money Transfer Control Number

To use your emerald for ach payments:
1. get your information from the direct deposits section of your emerald account
2. go to your bill (CC) and put that information in as your new payee
3. schedule your payment using that payee for the amount loaded to your emerald card. Posts next day and shows up as gone next day on emerald.

Please add your comments where necessary......

===
From the T&Cs (April 2015):
  • The maximum amount of cash value you may load to your Card Account each day is $999.99.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per day is four (4).
  • The maximum amount of cash value that you may load to your Card Account each month is $9,500.00.
  • The maximum number of times you may load your Card Account per month is ten (10).

• The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from an ATM per day is $3,000.00 per card.
  • The maximum cumulative amount that may be withdrawn from a participating bank per day is the available balance of your Card Account.
  • The maximum that can be spent per Card per day is $3,500.00.
Print Wikipost

Emerald Prepaid Card, Alternative methods to load (after demise of VR) for MS

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 4:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jasonvr
For those that Are doing RR with Debit, are you charging the RR fee to a second card and having the cashier do a split 500+3.74, or are you doing RR for 496.26? I guess that if you are using Kate, the only option is 496.26 since there are no splits
I use Kate, so $496.26.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:22 pm

I haven't loaded at Kate yet. The MC employees can do it much quicker. Yes $496.26 is what the total is...here is what it looks like online:

Date Description Amount
05/10/14 ADD FUNDS - POS / 3465 EAST FOOTHILL BOULEPASADENA CA USA $496.26
Old May 12, 2014, 1:19 pm

It is costing you $8.69 for every 496.26? (4.95 for the gc and 3.74 for rr fee)?
Old May 12, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prsf
Great, thanks for confirming.

I will try later, although it might not justify the extra charge since you can get a 1K mo for $0.7. while you have to shell out 2x $3.74 to load the same 1K to the hrb.
What is the point of MO loads at $3.74? ($1K each,$5k monthly limit) That MO can be deposited for $0 cost if U open a checking account? ($5k monthly limit is a low deposit risk)
Old May 12, 2014, 3:26 pm

Just curious...
why are you guys not ACH'ing using your emerald as the "bank."

I do that with each 1k. Due to grab another 2k Wednesday after work.
Old May 12, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
What is the point of MO loads at $3.74? ($1K each,$5k monthly limit) That MO can be deposited for $0 cost if U open a checking account? ($5k monthly limit is a low deposit risk)
Many walmarts have Kate's that work for loading this card, but not for money orders. Some of us have limited or no access to money orders (at walmart). So it's not this or that, it's either this or not this.

The ability to ach out the money for nothing is nice too. 5K may be a low deposit rate, but 5K+X, where X is my other MOs, might be a high number.

This card is nice in that it can be fully done without working with a human or finding a magic machine.
Old May 12, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka

This card is nice in that it can be fully done without working with a human or finding a magic machine.
How do you load it without working with a human or machine?
Old May 12, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300
How do you load it without working with a human or machine?
magic machine... gives out $500 MOs.
Old May 12, 2014, 4:25 pm

Anyone have experience with the Jump prepaid card? It looks interesting. You get$10 cashback for every $1500 loaded onto (i.e. paypal) Looks like a winner to me. Its not completely cost neutral, but it should give back a good chunk of the money spent to pay for the paypal fees. It also give you cashback for signature purchases too, but I haven't found a place that will give me a money order with a signature instead of a pin. They charge a $5 a month maintenance fee.
Old May 12, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by aeneas3
Just curious...

A bit more information, please, thanks!
Old May 12, 2014, 6:21 pm

Just curious...

1. I consider ACH more aggressive than BP.

2. I consider BP superior to ACH, since it saves a step.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hilbe
I haven't loaded at Kate yet. The MC employees can do it much quicker. Yes $496.26 is what the total is...here is what it looks like online:

Date Description Amount
Even at WM, the load address is GreenDot's corporate HQ. Interesting.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300
1. I consider ACH more aggressive than BP.

2. I consider BP superior to ACH, since it saves a step.
makes sense
not worth the extra $0.95 fees to save a 1 minute step for me though. as with all of this, everyone is different and whatever works is good
Old May 20, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
A bit more information, please, thanks!
tried PMing you but your mailbox is full
Old May 20, 2014, 9:47 pm

makes sense
not worth the extra $0.95 fees to save a 1 minute step for me though. as with all of this, everyone is different and whatever works is good
More than one minute since you have to route funds through a bank and then pay the bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.